SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Question
instantaneously switching channels

I am working on a VTOL project and was wondering is there a way to instantaneously switch channel setups mid flight? I have the vertical and takeoff and landing part down, and I have the normal flight of a plane. But interfacing the two has become a challenge. I thought this might be accomplished through a transmitter. Any help or direction would greatly be appreciated.
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:15 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
I am working on a VTOL project and was wondering is there a way to instantaneously switch channel setups mid flight? I have the vertical and takeoff and landing part down, and I have the normal flight of a plane. But interfacing the two has become a challenge. I thought this might be accomplished through a transmitter. Any help or direction would greatly be appreciated.
Possibly a little more data?
Radio? What do you want to accomplish by instantly switching channel setups? (more specific)

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
No problem,
So hopefully I can explain this without sounding to confusing.

So during vertical takeoff and landing this would be a tricopter essentially, 6 channels are needed to balance the flight.
example
ch1 motor esc gyro
ch2 motor esc gyro
ch3 motor esc gyro
ch4 3gyros in series to be constant
ch5 rear servo gyro
ch6 rear gyro

In nomal flight mode of a plane
ch1 throttle
ch2 aileron
ch3 rudder
ch4 elevator

when switching in midflight from the above setup to the below setup or something similar if that makes sense
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,263 Posts
Forgive my lack of experience with mainstream radios, but this can be done with quite readily with FlySky 9x and ER9x (99% sure) or Open9x firmware (99.5% sure)...

I don't know how you would do it with others - hopefully other people will chime in...

What radio are you using?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,815 Posts
Don't most multicopters do the mixing and stabilization in the model?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
I do not have a radio system yet, because I want to make sure it is something possible or what radio i need to make this possible. Thanks
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,263 Posts
I think Andy's point is most important - there are on board controllers that will make this stable (and typically require special/modified ESC's for high response rates).

You had implied (that is how I read it) that you were already flying...

Scott
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,815 Posts
A VTOL is a pretty ambitious model for learning to fly... It took them decades to get the Osprey to work without killing everybody aboard.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,589 Posts
matchpoint
Interesting project.Are you saying you have already flown the machine as a fixed wing type and as a heli type? Is that what you mean by "got it down"?
Now you just need a way to transition between the 2? Or are you saying that you have the concept down? Theres a huge difference.
What is the general size of this machine?

ScottSails
Ive generally looked through the 9x functionality.Even on the ER9x ware.I wasnt aware it was able to do "on the fly" remapping of channels.Maybe I missed something.Ill have to take a look at it again when I get a chance.

matchpoint
Without knowing more intimate details of the configuration its hard to come up with a firm plan in my mind.The way I kind of envision it though I think I would be thinking more along the lines of a radio that provides enough channels to have each function of both flight mode controls on thier own channel.In your case from what you stated it looks like 10 control channels.
Then it would simply be a matter of making whatever you want to happen in your various modes(in your case 2 unless you need more) based in the radio as separate flightmodes.Then you are just changing the operation of the various channels with mode changes instead of actually remapping.

So on to your original question.You are going to be looking at a higher channel number radio.Are you going to need other channels besides the basic controls? Like flaps,gear or some other Aux function? Maybe your vertical lift motors are going to pivot somehow? Or since you say 3 gyros and 3 in series?
An FBL unit? You may want to control gyro gains from the Tx inflight?
Unless your planning on a bunch of money or resorting to using a tray style radio it kind of sounds like you might be looking for a DX18.

You werent very detailed on your actual concept or the machine if you have actually got it to fly.Would love to see some pics of concept drawings to get a better idea in my head what your plan is.If your willing.If your really dedicated to making this happen Im pretty sure your going to be looking for more help as it progresses.Its kind of hard to give advise without a clearer picture of the physics of what its doing and what your trying to accomplish.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
This is what I am trying to accomplish. By using the same transmitter, is there a way to switch modes instantly, or does anyone have any input. Channels in the diagrams can be mixed up, as well as having more then 6 channels but this is what I want to accomplish. I can use switches or something to cancel out the gyros but my throttles, as well as everything else will be something different.

photo hosting
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
This is definately possible with open9x using flight phases and some custom switches. I'm sure some of the guys over at 9xforums can come up with something
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
so i found out how to address this issue, I met with an electronics guy and he told us what we need to use is multiplexer, and demultiplexers, I think I got it now
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
so i found out how to address this issue, I met with an electronics guy and he told us what we need to use is multiplexer, and demultiplexers, I think I got it now
With respect, I think you are missing a big point... Simply because you can "control" it with the transmitter doesn't mean it will fly... The dynamics and latency/delay will make this near impossible to control and is why there are boards/sensors/systems to accomplish this task to greatly stabilize flight!

Here is something akin to what Andy was referring to...
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mwc-multi...ard-quadx.html

Try this forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-electronics-792/
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Let's SEE a photo of the subject in question, please! Block diagrams are cheap.
If it's doable, Dave Powers would have done it by now.
XtalHunt is offline Find More Posts by XtalHunt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,815 Posts
Or crashed trying!

Andy
Site Sponsor