HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:33 PM
John Hendry
Joined Oct 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I got these soldering tips from BG, seem to fit and work fine: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-10...n-p-51602.html
Did they fit tight? The one that came with my 936 is loose. Must have come from CERN:-)
John Hendry is offline Find More Posts by John Hendry
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:37 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,553 Posts
Sometimes some of the things you get from Banggood are low quality knockoffs. But I paid $4.11 for one item that you cannot distinguish from the real thing, and it would have cost me at least $20 at a local store. To me, it doesn't make sense to spend as much or more for the tips unless maybe you do a whole lot of precision soldering.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:40 PM
John Hendry
Joined Oct 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDovi View Post
I swung by Radio Shack with the HK tip in hand, and compared it
with the 'Pro-Line' version that they carry there.. It was very close!

Radio Shack Part Number: 6400208 [TIPS WORK]

The I.D. and O.D. both appeared to be dead on,
and the only difference appeared to be the shaft/tube lengths.

If I had to guestimate - The HK shaft/tube is 1mm - 1.5mm longer.

The impulse-buyer in me kicked in,
so I grabbed it, and after getting it out of the package, I found that it works!

It works, and it works perfectly!

Below are the shots I snapped of both tips:
*The HK tip is the one on the top.
*The RS/PL is the one on the bottom.

So, now we know.. In a pinch, $5 - $6 will get a tip at Radio Shack!
It's nice to know that there's a place to grab them locally if/when needed.

*Thumbs Up*

Sam -
The tip that came on mine is way too loose. Was yours? Are the radio shack tips a tighter fit? Heating element needs to make contact for 936 to function correctly.
John Hendry is offline Find More Posts by John Hendry
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:04 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
I got mine from the HK international warehouse over a year and a half ago and it's still going strong,also as pointed out you can get a bunch of tips off of a well known auction site at a really good price too,i made a little twin shelf and drilled the right size holes for the tips and fixed them to the solder stations iron holder.

By the way all my tips are quite a tight fit including the one that came with it,in fact one or two of the ones from the auction site i had to bore out the holes a little to get them to fit properly but no big deal,on another note you can also buy the heating element for the iron it's self off of that auction site too in case any one needs one for any reason,not that i needed one but i did made sure you could buy them.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:52 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
I got mine from the HK international warehouse over a year and a half ago and it's still going strong,also as pointed out you can get a bunch of tips off of a well known auction site at a really good price too,i made a little twin shelf and drilled the right size holes for the tips and fixed them to the solder stations iron holder.

By the way all my tips are quite a tight fit including the one that came with it,in fact one or two of the ones from the auction site i had to bore out the holes a little to get them to fit properly but no big deal,on another note you can also buy the heating element for the iron it's self off of that auction site too in case any one needs one for any reason,not that i needed one but i did made sure you could buy them.
Do you have a link for the heating element on that well known auction site? There's so many style that I'm not sure which one fits. I too got a set of tips from that place and like you, some were tight. As a result the tighter ones, over time, chipped off the ceramic at the tip.

The unit still works perfectly though but just want to have a spare. You know how it goes, one day you need to solder something urgently and that will be the time where the heating element gives up the ghost!
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:52 PM
United States, PA, Tarentum
Joined Jan 2012
1,223 Posts
Should I check the heating element before I use this soldering station. If so how would I go about don't that
Timmyd463229 is offline Find More Posts by Timmyd463229
Old Oct 09, 2014, 03:58 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2003
246 Posts
{Should I check the heating element} ?? what are you checking for ?? If it's new you should be fine, Fire it up, It may stink a bit at first. Flux and tin your tips. pecor
pecor is online now Find More Posts by pecor
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Porro et Sursum
Australia, New South Wales, Lismore
Joined Oct 2010
174 Posts
Stopped working burnt out board on wire closest to the element. pretty dissapointing really, only used it 5 times. Anyone replace an element yet?
Flying V is offline Find More Posts by Flying V
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:53 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Do you have a link for the heating element on that well known auction site? There's so many style that I'm not sure which one fits. I too got a set of tips from that place and like you, some were tight. As a result the tighter ones, over time, chipped off the ceramic at the tip.

The unit still works perfectly though but just want to have a spare. You know how it goes, one day you need to solder something urgently and that will be the time where the heating element gives up the ghost!
As i said i don't need one so i never kept the link myself,but if you go on the HK product page for this soldering station and look down the comments someone has posted the part numbers for it,so it should be easier to find on said auction site,i also saw someone posted a part number for a radio shack so that might help you if your in the USA,also Hakko 900m 930 tips also fit,sorry i can't be more helpful.

Yes mine is still going fine and no doubt i'll be getting even more use out of it over the winter months again.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:51 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,164 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I will take a look at the HK product page for the link(s) that people have posted. Even though the internal ceramic tip of mine is chipped, the element still works fine. Just thinking ahead....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:37 AM
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Apr 2013
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hendry View Post
The tip that came on mine is way too loose. Was yours? Are the radio shack tips a tighter fit? Heating element needs to make contact for 936 to function correctly.
Hi John, sorry for the late reply..

When my iron came in, the heating element was all cracked apart..
The tip was pretty much all that held the ceramic together inside.

There was also a slight wiggle to the tip,
but, that could have just been from not cranking down the collar tight enough..

I knew that the tiny pin-tip that was on there wouldn't work very well anyways..
That said, I didn't even bother with it.. I just grabbed the new tip..

The RadioShack tip was a bit shorter if I remember right..
It slid on just fine, probably tighter than the OEM one,
and, it seemed to also tighten down a bit better too..

I solder all the time, and I'm still using that exact same tip on mine!

I also upgraded to a Hakko digital station,
but, I still use the HobbyKing one all the time..

Sam -
DirtyDovi is offline Find More Posts by DirtyDovi
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:51 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,164 Posts
I bought one of those assorted 10-pack tips on eBay from China. Most were snug with about 2 being loose and 2 being (too) tight. The two that were too tight I could not use. I tried filing the insides to make it bigger but too much work.

Surprisingly the loose ones work just fine and were able to transfer the heat well from the heating element.

On my element, the tip is all cracked and missing some ceramic but it seems to have no effect on heat transfer despite being convection vs. conduction in that area of the element. I guess the rest of the contact area further down the heating element is good enough to transfer the heat.

For the other ones, I have to let the handle cool down completely before I was able to remove the tip. The fit is so"precise" that when heated up, there's enough expansion of the heating element that makes the tip impossible to remove without breaking off more ceramic. And I'm not talking about super hot, just hot enough to hold, say 150F or so depending on your heat tolerance.