HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
Discussion
ESC,caps,switches, and the Spark

I am trying to determine which is the best route here on my new plane. 8s, CC ICE 100 w/cap packs and an external arming switch (handling the full current load) for safety and because my canopy is screwed on. I dont want one of those gaudy power poles sticking out the side so I have some ideas for a clean, fabricated switch but my questions are. will the additional caps make the spark more intense and what components (resistor?) do I need to arrest the spark. also how is this arrestor wired in and does it need to be connected/disconected each time the battery is? I know there is lots of topics on the spark arrestors but felt this is the best place to get specific info with my components. thanks
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:37 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
An ICE 100 with the extra Cap Pack is going to destroy about any switch fairly quickly. For a spark suppressor use a 1-ohm resistor. You need to first switch the resistor into the circuit. After about a second it will be save to engage the main arming switch.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:57 AM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
thanks RC. So continuing along the thinking of the external arming. could the suppressor be switched in with a small toggle switch or a slider (like the one for turning on the rx) and is the resistor before or after the switch? You mentioned 1 sec before switching on the main. is there a maximum?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill clark View Post
thanks RC. So continuing along the thinking of the external arming. could the suppressor be switched in with a small toggle switch or a slider (like the one for turning on the rx) and is the resistor before or after the switch? You mentioned 1 sec before switching on the main. is there a maximum?
Itís best to close the main power switch as soon as possible. If you mode servos or turn on motor before closing the main switch you could blow the resistor. Maybe a 3-yaw switch would work (down-off, center-resistor, up-power).

The reason that switches are not very popular is that it takes a large switch to handle 150 amps at DC voltage. I would recommend a switch thatís 150% larger than any peaks you see on the data log. That would be very bad if that switch failed in-flight.

Iím sure you will get other opinions and someone else might have a more elegant solution. Have you looked at this http://www.sharprc.com/

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,206 Posts
I plan to take one of the big CC bullets, make a few parts on the lathe and make the switch from that. actually I guess it will be more of a plug than a switch and connect/disconnect one lead from outside the plane. do you think it matters which lead and should that lead have the suppressor on it? and should it be between the plug and the batt or the plug and the esc?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill clark View Post
I plan to take one of the big CC bullets, make a few parts on the lathe and make the switch from that. actually I guess it will be more of a plug than a switch and connect/disconnect one lead from outside the plane. do you think it matters which lead and should that lead have the suppressor on it? and should it be between the plug and the batt or the plug and the esc?
Pictures of this please
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach