SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
FPV skywalker build...if you guys don't mind, check out my video. There is also a link to my blog if you have any specific comments to not bog down this forum.. and tell me if there are any no no's or problems I dont see....opinions??? thanks guys!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=387304

Skywalker V1.5 set up for Pre Flight (5 min 52 sec)
wootenelli is online now Find More Posts by wootenelli
Last edited by wootenelli; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Thanks Mike,

Have you had any problems? I'm still wary of a spinning prop causing erratic signals especially from above.

-Todd
I also have my GPS mounted on the boom behind the prop. It works great and I experience no problems.

Hector
texasdrifters is offline Find More Posts by texasdrifters
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
Will extending the gps cable antenna affect the time it takes to acquire satellites ? What kind of paint are you guys using on your sky walkers ?
omer921 is online now Find More Posts by omer921
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:54 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
@Hector Thanks! That solves one of my problems.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootenelli View Post
FPV skywalker build...if you guys don't mind, check out my video. There is also a link to my blog if you have any specific comments to not bog down this forum.. and tell me if there are any no no's or problems I dont see....opinions??? thanks guys!
If your Elevator was cut off and the only thing holding it to the stabilizer you may want to use other Tape. looks like regular tape Not fiberglass tape.

If you did not reinforce the opening on the side of the fuselage (access panel) you need to do that. don't ask how I know

That All I got
Hope it helps
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
If you did not reinforce the opening on the side of the fuselage (access panel) you need to do that. don't ask how I know
I'm going to ask how you know because I've never seen this mentioned before. Did it break there? in flight or in a crash? How did you do the reinforcement?
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:38 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I'm going to ask how you know because I've never seen this mentioned before. Did it break there? in flight or in a crash? How did you do the reinforcement?
Did it break there? YES the plane was about 2 feet off the ground and nosed down not very hard. but that was all it took to rip in the corners.
Some people put ply wood in side...
I used tape in and out side..May not be the best way.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Michael W.
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Did it break there? YES the plane was about 2 feet off the ground and nosed down not very hard. but that was all it took to rip in the corners.
That is good advice....It is also very intutitive... if you think about it, the force will transfer through the plane on impact, so it will buckle at the weakest links...you want to make sure all of the plane is supported to prevent damage in one place over another... I will definately do that.

what is your all up weight??
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Many years ago engineers found out square windows break at the corners. That's why aircraft windows and ship portholes generally have curved corners or are round.

Search for "square shape" here.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
That is good advice....It is also very intutitive... if you think about it, the force will transfer through the plane on impact, so it will buckle at the weakest links...you want to make sure all of the plane is supported to prevent damage in one place over another... I will definately do that.

5.87LBS (Flying Tank)
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:

hi,
knowing that´s impossible to find all weak points and streghten them durin build-up i followed a "new plan" at my skywalker.
every time i find a crack in the fuse i fill it up with a few drops of superglue! these areas newer broke a second time. the increase of weight is negliable and the repairs are almost invisible.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:27 AM
Michael W.
Joined Nov 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
knowing that´s impossible to find all weak points and streghten them durin build-up i followed a "new plan" at my skywalker.
every time i find a crack in the fuse i fill it up with a few drops of superglue! these areas newer broke a second time. the increase of weight is negliable and the repairs are almost invisible.

cheers Thomas
i guess that makes sense too...the only things I want to reinforce too begin with are the main stress areas like the boom...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
60 Posts
Balancing

Hi All,

Quick Q about balancing the SW.

Is the correct technique to place a spirit level on the stab and balance such that the stab is level?

I've noticed that the incidence of the stab and wing are not equal (i.e. with the stab level, the wing LE will be pointing slightly downward.)

FWIW, I have the SW flying very well, my main interest in determining the correct procedure is to ensure my autopilot is calibrated correctly.

Thanks,
Dave
davico is offline Find More Posts by davico
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:33 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
Will extending the gps cable antenna affect the time it takes to acquire satellites ? What kind of paint are you guys using on your sky walkers ?
I did extend my GPS cable with servo wires and have not any problems with it.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:21 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davico View Post
FWIW, I have the SW flying very well, my main interest in determining the correct procedure is to ensure my autopilot is calibrated correctly.

Thanks,
Dave
This is something I also need to know and never had clarity about.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis