SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2010, 05:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Apr 2006
440 Posts
Discussion
TP 1010C - Still the best at any cost?

Have been out of charging Lipo's for a few years.

Back in 07/08 when the 1010C came out it was at the time considered the best Lipo charger and when paired with 205's or 210's a good safe bet for charging Lipo's. Fast forward 2-2.5 years is the 1010C still considered a top/safe charger or are there better options in the high end lipo charger market. I have a lot of 1010C's that I used back in 07/08 and now that I'm starting to fly again Lipo charging safety is #1. Was surprised to see the 1010C still appears to be the top model TP is selling - albeit with an upgraded firmware for 123/nimih etc...
rfaster is offline Find More Posts by rfaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 05:15 PM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
What size packs are you charging?

You can find chargers that have more features... but will they be any safer? probably not.

~Brian
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,783 Posts
Take a look at the new FMA Direct charger. 1000 watts. I think that will be the top charger for at least a few weeks.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:17 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
The TP1010C is not the top charger right now by any stretch but it is still a very good charger. The lack of an integrated balancer and many other features date it but functionally it is still fine. The top models right now in terms of features, quality and output are Hyperion 720i and Duo3, Bantam BC8DX and the iCharger models. FMA has their Cellpro 10S but I don't consider it a top contender due to its limited functionality and proprietary connectors. They do have the PL8 coming out but it is not here yet. That is how I see the charging world right now.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Mar 04, 2010, 08:37 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Apr 2006
440 Posts
Nice - good info - I like the idea of integrated balancer's but I can see advantages to having external ones as well to balance when off of the charger.

I Charge mostly 4's, 5's and 6's.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 08:56 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
When I started charging lipos there seemed to be some value to having a stand alone balancer but I can no longer remember why. It sure works well to balance charge with any of the modern chargers. Let me put it this way, I ain't going back

I helped a guy with his new charger today. He bought an iCharger 106B+ and I had forgotten just how small it is and how well it works. The thing is not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes and will balance charge a 6s pack at 10A!!! Not bad for $120
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:52 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
The TP balancers have more bleed current capacity than many of today's most recent chargers with integrated balancers.

Just because something is new doesn't necessarily mean it's better. There's a lot more to evaluating a charger than just looking at the specifications.

Here's what the legend himself had to say in the PL8 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It is the first and only charger that I would chose over my Thunder Power 1010c / 210V combo if I could only have only one charger.

Charles
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279

There you have it.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:28 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
However .... rumor has it that Thunder Power will soon be releasing a new charger to compete with the FMA Cell Lab 8 (500 watts on 12 volts / 1000 watts on 24 volts).

After all .... Thunder Power top of the line packs have a 6C max charge rate .... and you know they will have to soon have a charger that will charge at that rate!!

My TP 1010C and 210V are still going strong after many years of hard use!

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
The best part is if you ever have a problem with a TP charger you can pick up the phone and call them. If your charger ever needs to be serviced you don't have to send it to another country and wait many weeks for a response either.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:17 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
The best part is if you ever have a problem with a TP charger you can pick up the phone and call them. If your charger ever needs to be serviced you don't have to send it to another country and wait many weeks for a response either.
Same is true of FMA....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:24 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Same is true of FMA....
Yes, but the original poster as asking about Thunder Power.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:05 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Apr 2006
440 Posts
Good Point Pete - I have had to send one of my 1010's and a 210 back to Charlie and they were replaced w/out any questions.

Quote:
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:08 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaster View Post
Good Point Pete - I have had to send one of my 1010's and a 210 back to Charlie and they were replaced w/out any questions.
Same here. I had my TP-1010C die during an early firmware update. It was replaced promptly with no questions asked.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:18 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Same is true about Bantam, Hyperion, and iCharger... My point is figure out what you need, all these chargers are good quality and with support in North America. And to answer the question raised by the original poster, no, the TP-1010C is not the best out there anymore.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Last edited by 3Dmuse; Mar 05, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:41 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
Same is true about Bantam, Hyperion, and iCharger... My point is figure out what you need, all these chargers are good quality and with support in North America. And to answer the question raised by the original poster, no, the TP-1010C is not the best out there anymore.
Um, not exactly. TP has a full-time staff with regular business hours. I'm not sure the same could be said for all the others.

The "best" really depends on the requirements of the user. What's best you might not be best for someone else.