SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by miru
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbg View Post
Dear miru, unfortunately I had a crash with the ARdrone 2.0.
Could you take a look at the log file?

http://pastebin.com/GveThkhX

What is Link,-1?

Thank you
The companion program thinks the serial port got disconnected, did it?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:34 PM
mbg
Find More Posts by mbg
mbg
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
whats the serial port?
The connection between mirumod and drone? The 8 pin connector where one pin is closed? (or is it 6 pin?)

If this, definitly not.
the mod is fixed by scotch tape, I taped the mod to the motherboard.
bottom plate is a carbon plate, the mod practically fits perfectely in there.
It cannot be lifted high enough to be disconnected.
mbg is offline Find More Posts by mbg
Last edited by mbg; Jun 28, 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by miru
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,411 Posts
Quote:
whats the serial port?
The connection between mirumod and drone? The 8 pin connector where one pin is closed? (or is it 6 pin?)

If this, definitly not.
the mod is fixed by scotch tape, I taped the mod to the motherboard.
bottom plate is a carbon plate, the mod practically fits perfectely in there.
It cannot be lifted high enough to be disconnected.
There is only 1 VBAT message in the log, which means the battery measurements in the Navdata always reports 100... that is definitely wrong, maybe you ran out of power in mid air...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:00 PM
mbg
Find More Posts by mbg
mbg
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
I already know that and only fly about 5 minutes which should be fine.
I got problems due to battery at about 10 minutes flight, but the drone became unresponsive before.

It is the first time it is crashing at 5 mins.

After the crash I reconvered the drone and did another 2 min flight carefully. No bad behavior. Neither battery nor crash related.
mbg is offline Find More Posts by mbg
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by miru
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,411 Posts
Quote:
I already know that and only fly about 5 minutes which should be fine.
I got problems due to battery at about 10 minutes flight, but the drone became unresponsive before.

It is the first time it is crashing at 5 mins.

After the crash I reconvered the drone and did another 2 min flight carefully. No bad behavior. Neither battery nor crash related.
But the log shows the companion program lost contact with the mod AND the firmware quit sending Navdata for over a second. The current mod software will send a command message in response to every Navdata message, independent of the input from the mod. So one can treat the LINK failure independent from the Navdata not being sent. The fact that they occur at the same time leads me to believe that there was a serious power glitch that severed the connection between the companion program and the serial link to the mod as well as the link to the firmware. The fact that you can fly it ok afterwards does not really mean much, except that you did not have a permanent failure. However, since the A/D converter for measuring the battery voltage is not working, I wonder what else got taken out when it died?
Old Jul 07, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Carl334
United States, MO, Urbana
Joined Mar 2013
260 Posts
Miru,
Is it recommended to use a carbon fiber bottom plate as this user had?
I thought that it would greatly reduce signal!
Carl334 is offline Find More Posts by Carl334
Old Jul 07, 2015, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by miru
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl334 View Post
Miru,
Is it recommended to use a carbon fiber bottom plate as this user had?
I thought that it would greatly reduce signal!
I don't know, I use the plastic cover that comes with the drone if at all.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by pgolik
Poland, Masovian Voivodeship, Warsaw
Joined May 2015
5 Posts
Another success story

I completed the mod and made first flights today. Works perfectly, and is a huge improvement over the iDev control. Flying is so nice that for a moment I forgot that it's a light toy not a more performant drone, and got too cocky in 10 m/s wind gusts. One bent shaft later, I got more careful. It handles so much better - one has to experience it to believe. All it lacks now is some kind of vertical stabilizer, I'll try to add some light tailfin.
My setup is Arduino nano V.3 (a Chinese clone), MiruLLC board, lemon-rx 6ch DSMX RX, and a u-blox Neo-6 GPS module (Reyax RYG25AI).

A few details:
1. If you buy a Spektrum radio in the EU these days, you'll get one that is DSMX only, not back-compatible with DSM2 receivers. Also, the possibility to switch to the US setting to increase power is gone on the new DX6i. Not that it matters - the range I get is more than the LOS distance (I need to carry binoculars to see the model's orientation and still have control).
2. The lemon RX receivers work great, but the downside is that they don't make a pinless DSMX board (they do make one in DSM2). Removing those pins is a serious pain in the back - they are thick, the pads are small, and there is solder on both sides of the board. The RX survived, but it wasn't easy (had to cut the pins with a dremel first to remove them one-by-one).
3. I mounted the GPS on top of the outdoor hull (I cut a hole for it), I decided not to power it from the Arduino (the specified current draw is 54 mA, and I didn't want to overtax the regulator, heat could be a concern). Instead, I made a small USB passthrough (a male and female USB connector on a small piece of a prototype board) and took VCC and GND from the USB to power the GPS). This also solved the problem of grounding the USB shroud, and with one of the tiny plastic pendrives weighs no more than a regular USB stick.
4. The GPS works, but I still have intermittent problems with it. I made 5 flights today, the GPS LED indicated a fix every time, but only one log file had GPS data in it, the remaining ones looked as if there was no GPS at all. Probably a flaky connection somewhere.
pgolik is offline Find More Posts by pgolik
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by barok
Joined Apr 2006
1,325 Posts
I have a Taranis
I have this Spektrum DM8 for futaba
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...q1cwTsFUR-M%3A
I have this flytron adapter (futaba to jr)
http://www.flytron.com/openlrs/123-f...e-adapter.html

I'm able to bind this set up to a spektrum ar 6100 rx..
Does any1 have the Mirumod program for a Taranis radio and a spektrum module ..

Or a program for this Mirumod on their Taranis and frisky rx..

Thanks...
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:15 AM
Find More Posts by DaveS2
User
Joined Aug 2007
139 Posts
I use a FreeSky Taranis Tx/Rx setup using the Taranis internal Tx that is linked to a FreeSky Rx using the MiruMod board on my ARdrone 2. I can send you my Taranis settings for that setup if it would help? It is actually extremely straight forward, and does not contain anything regarding GPS or video. If you want it just PM me an email address.

Just a word of warning. I did that setup over a year ago, so I don't recall much of the details about how I worked it out, but it does work great and has a really really long range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
I have a Taranis
I have this Spektrum DM8 for futaba
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...q1cwTsFUR-M%3A
I have this flytron adapter (futaba to jr)
http://www.flytron.com/openlrs/123-f...e-adapter.html

I'm able to bind this set up to a spektrum ar 6100 rx..
Does any1 have the Mirumod program for a Taranis radio and a spektrum module ..

Or a program for this Mirumod on their Taranis and frisky rx..

Thanks...
DaveS2 is offline Find More Posts by DaveS2
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by barok
Joined Apr 2006
1,325 Posts
Hi DaveS2..
That will be great..
Can't PM you somehow, no link in your avatar..
Pls pm me..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...=newpm&u=96722

Thanks
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok