Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by gregt@post.pl
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
Help!
Syma S026 and S026G problems

Hi! Let me start of with a video how this baby used to work for the first few weeks or so:

Syma S026G - a very responsive ch47 indoor - killed by kids (3 min 30 sec)

So I got one of each, the G and the one without a gyro.

Well, here's my frustration - after about 2-3 weeks of flying a bit, the performance really went down. I can "fly for about 20-30sec, then all I can do is fly in "ground effect". The heli starts losing altitude realy quickly after an initial "burst" after power up.

I have replaced the battery in one of them - no change.

After some hoop jumping with XHeli - I finally got correct replacement blades from another site (and I made sure I used pairs of A1/A2 - B1/B2), thinking that maybe because of some crashes the little nicks on the blades took just enough out of performance?

Well, replacing blades made no difference either, on either model.

I know balancing and tracking can have quite an impact.. I see some slight tracking issues (about 1mm - by eyeballing it - usually the bottom rotors, not top)...

Bottom line, I have spent way to much time on this and both helis do the same thing - totally underpowered flight..

I am hoping someone else has not only experienced this, but also resolved it - please let me know if anyone has any ideas!

I am getting so frustrated with all of this, because I do not like mechanical tinkering and have no time for it.. and it's so frustrating when the heli just stops performing and I cannot get it back in the air despite all the things I try!

Thx a bunch people!

GT
gregt@post.pl is offline Find More Posts by gregt@post.pl
Last edited by gregt@post.pl; Feb 04, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:22 PM
RVA
Find More Posts by RVA
RVA
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2011
115 Posts
Sorry to hear, GT. I am in the same boat. (I only have the 026g) Awesome start but has turned lackluster over the last 20 flights. I too would like to know if someone out there has successfully identified and corrected the problem.
RVA is offline Find More Posts by RVA
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:27 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
RVA - have you tried anything? Have you ever looked at your heli at blade level against light, to see if tracking is a bit off? I know tracking made a huge issue on my other helis - so would be interested to see if you see that issue as well. Thx for replying - misery likes company - I am at least a bit comforted now
On a side note - during the initial good performance - pretty nice for a little bugger like that, isn't it?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by scotsoft
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,710 Posts
I am pleased you posted your video, wonderful mayhem lol.

Check for hair round the shafts, I noticed your daughter has long hair!
Usually it is pet hair that gets wrapped round the shaft but in your case it could be human hair.

If there is no hair round the shaft and you say the battery is ok then I am afraid I am out of ideas as I cannot see it being the motors.

As a last resort you could take the fuselage off and fly it "naked", it is very sensitive to the throttle this way and heads towards the ceiling very quickly but at least you can fly again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregt@post.pl View Post
RVA - have you tried anything? Have you ever looked at your heli at blade level against light, to see if tracking is a bit off? I know tracking made a huge issue on my other helis - so would be interested to see if you see that issue as well. Thx for replying - misery likes company - I am at least a bit comforted now
On a side note - during the initial good performance - pretty nice for a little bugger like that, isn't it?
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:46 PM
RVA
Find More Posts by RVA
RVA
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2011
115 Posts
I've check the battery visually inspected the rotors. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have extra blades and may try that. Next step would be to replace the bat. - but you say you've already done that with no luck. I hope it is not a failure or weakness of the motors.
RVA is offline Find More Posts by RVA
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:18 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
Hey all Thx.
No hair, no other damage. Tracking and motors are the only things I consider a suspect at this stage.
As much as I'd hate to fly "naked" I may do so
And will just watch this thread and see if anyone ever figures it out.
I know that rotor balance is a biggie - but with such small rotors and 4 of them, I am not certain I am willing to balance them
BTW, I do fly better when not being filmed
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:34 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,710 Posts
I have never tracked any of my S026's, I have four non gyro and four gyro.
This is a clip of me flying one of my gyro S026's, it is four months old and I have done no maintenance on it at all.
Sorry for the dark picture I don't get much daylight in my flat
S026G (6 min 36 sec)

Quote:
Hey all Thx.
No hair, no other damage. Tracking and motors are the only things I consider a suspect at this stage.
As much as I'd hate to fly "naked" I may do so
And will just watch this thread and see if anyone ever figures it out.
I know that rotor balance is a biggie - but with such small rotors and 4 of them, I am not certain I am willing to balance them
BTW, I do fly better when not being filmed
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:21 AM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
Scotsoft - looks like you are having fun.
4 of each huh? And no issues what-so-ever? Oh well....
Do you fly till it starts sinking a bit, or do you time your flights to make sure the battery is not over-depleted? Do you charge with wall charger or the battery from the "transmitter"?
Do you notice much difference between the gyro / non-gyro model? I found the G a bit more responsive and controllable.

BTW, I am in Colorado, so the air is appropriately thinner - that could have slight impact on performance too I bet...

Oh well, I'll probably work on tracking in few days with some color tape.. see if I can eliminate that as the cause... next I will have to get an S3 battery, some carbon-fiber blades and brush-less motors ))) [ yeah, sure I will... 2.4GZ radio too ].
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:45 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,710 Posts
I have attempted to answer all your questions from my own experiences.

Quote:

Do you fly till it starts sinking a bit, or do you time your flights to make sure the battery is not over-depleted?
I fly my helis till they start to sink to the ground, once on the ground they are switched off and added to the "needing charged pile". I never put them on charge straight away they always get time to cool down.
The same goes for the 4ch helis even though they generally have removeable batteries, I let the motors cool down beforw flying again.

Do you charge with wall charger or the battery from the "transmitter"?
I sometimes use the wall charger but normally I use the USB cable plugged into the computer. I would only charge from the transmitter if I were at a friends house and no computer was available.

Do you notice much difference between the gyro / non-gyro model? I found the G a bit more responsive and controllable.
The gyro is a much more relaxed flight compared to the non gyro and I admit to picking the gyro version to fly more that the non gyro these days. I have the S022 big Chinook which is non gyro and this has similar characteristics to the S026 non gyro but because of the extra weight is less flighty and really great fun to fly and makes a wonderful noise with the rotors.

BTW, I am in Colorado, so the air is appropriately thinner - that could have slight impact on performance too I bet...
Thin air does have a marked effect when flying, I am in various forums and the guys who live at higher altitudes are always complaining of their lack of flying time per battery. I am approx 400ft above sea level so do not encounter this phenomenom, however we rarely get a calm day as it is always windy so flying outdoors is not a frequent occurrence.

I do hope you find a solution to your problem soon as these are great little machines which are generally very reliable.

cheers John
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:18 AM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
Thx John! Unfortunately nothing in your answers that would surprise me.. I was hoping maybe you do some magic dance or something else that I am missing.. The only difference is the charging - I use the in-wall charger that came with the non gyro, as it indicates when charging is done - as not to "overcharge", but other than that, and the altitude.. no difference.. very puzzling. Oh well
Keep having fund with your "flock of birds" Do you have a video of the "big one"?
I considered it, but since my flying at home is around kids, I figured small would be safer... But I was tempted by that machine!
GT
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:13 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
462 Posts
Looks like another thread with no resolution:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331563
I am starting to wonder if maybe really the motors just suck and 50% of them go bad to fast?
I guess flying without fuselage has to be the next step.. I will also try some lubricant I used on the motor for the HBFP....
It just would be so nice to find the definite root cause.... grr!
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by bulesz
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
3,347 Posts
At my last flight, the S026G lost poer after 2mins... very strange... cant hover, and loosing height...so I will test it again... just finished the charging...cooling...I will give a try..if the same, I will change the TX batteries (just be sure... )
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:41 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,710 Posts
I don't have a video of the big Chinook yet, it is difficult keeping the smaller helis in frame far less the big one, so I am waiting till a friend pops round then I will have

Quote:

Do you have a video of the "big one"?
I considered it, but since my flying at home is around kids, I figured small would be safer... But I was tempted by that machine!

GT
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by bulesz
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
3,347 Posts
I have got my problem...I had a tough hit... and the front shaft was bended...
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:48 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,710 Posts
I really feel for you bulesz after waiting all that time to get your helis
Are you going to buy a new front shaft?
Perhaps you should buy another S026 and the shaft so you can keep one flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
I have got my problem...I had a tough hit... and the front shaft was bended...