New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
870 Posts
Discussion
DLG Electronics

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this so just curious.

What Servos and Batteries is everyone using?

From what I have done for research:

- The JR 241 and 281's are tried and true
- MKS are excellent but very pricey
- KST X08's are gaining an excellent reputation for a lower price point
- Have not heard much about Hitecs
- Some using Airtronics.

What servos are you using and have found to be the best, the best value, and your favorite?

Also, for batteries, how many are running an unregulated 1s, how many are using one of the all in 1 voltage boosted 1s batteries, and how many are using a 1s with an external voltage regulator?

Also, which brands of battery and sizes do you guys like?

Thank you!
Jman841 is offline Find More Posts by Jman841
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:55 PM
Joined Dec 2013
870 Posts
So I ended up finding a few threads on this, sorry for another one. Although, any input would still be appreciated.

Has anyone tested the X08's out quite a bit yet? Seems the most recent servo thread was when they were brand new with few testers.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
Joined Apr 2009
1,162 Posts
I went from a two cell w/regulator to a single cell, no reg., and won't go back. No worries about the reg falling and resulting in a crash (had it happen twice), and a big plus....MUCH more runtime per charge. The very small reduction in speed and torque isn't even noticeable (and no worries about whether the two cells are balanced). BTW, I use the 500 mAh (e-flight) helicopter single cell with no problems.

As for servos, I stick with Hyp. ds09 in the wing, and JR ds285 for rudder and elevator. Lately I've been going rudderless, and my next plane will have the wing servos in the pod, so I'll probably have three 285's in there, instead of the 09's.

And if you put the servos in the wing, don't bother with the ds09 AMD! They're easy to strip. Stick with SMD, or SCD. The are fine, but the SCD's have a polymer(?) gear train that's tougher and a little lighter and usually more expensive. But I just ordered wing servos from Skip Miller Models (a GREAT company to use), and the (better) SCD's were cheaper than their counterpart, so I'll be using them shortly.

The old d-47 is still loved by some, but I couldn't stop stripping them.....ymmv.

Hope this helps.
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2013
870 Posts
Thanks for the tips!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by randall_l
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
435 Posts
My HobbyKing Versus has Bluebird BMS-303's in the wing, Turnigy 1440A's for pull/spring rudder/elevator, Turnigy voltage booster, and 2, Zippy FlightMax 1S 400mAh Lilos in parallel. I'd go without the regulator, but the Bluebird servos just won't do it.

My new ship (wing and tailset by DLGJunkyard, fueslage by eitanro) has MKS DS65k's in the wing and DS75k's for pull/spring rudder/elevator and a re-purposed Li-Ion cell from a notebook battery (was new, had a bad cell and couldn't return--may as well use it for something) without a regulator. The DS75k's jitter a bit with my FrSky D4R-II telemetery receiver, but wrapping the receiver in aluminium tape (muffler tape) mostly solves the problem.

The difference between the two planes is night (a bit sluggish at higher speeds/winds, needs a launch pre-set for rudder and elevator) and day (does exactly what it's told, no pre-sets required).

I'm open to trying the KST X08, but I'm not sure I could go anything but unregulated 1S in my next ship.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
4,116 Posts
No posts on the X08 thread means they are working fine. No news- good news. They now have bottom exit wires a bit longer leads. Nice low profile servo horns. I have 5 in operation. Working fine. I have 285's too. 6100's and never a problem with airtronic 802's. Don't skimp on servos. Price of owning a DLG
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski