SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:21 AM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Discussion
Aircraft radios capable of mode 3 (I am a lefty)

I have been out of the hobby about 12 years, now coming back in and doing my research. I am left handed so I want to fly mode 3 (same as mode 2 for you righties) but finding which radios will configure to mode 3 has not been so easy! Any help would be appreciated.
Four-Eyes is offline Find More Posts by Four-Eyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:04 AM
Boston
Joined Jan 2005
66 Posts
I am a lefty too but I have always flown in mode 2. All of the lefties that I know of also use mode 2, you find life easier and a lot more radios to choose from take the time to get use to flying mode 2.
siwind is offline Find More Posts by siwind
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
I know, just checking out my options and being stubborn!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Many radios are switchable. I know the Royal Evo is particularly easy to setup in whatever mode you like.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Some Futabas and Hitecs have all the modes available.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
My Futaba 9C can be switched for all modes, you just need to switch the springs around for the throttle for some of them. Pretty sure the manual goes over this change. If you want to make sure, the 9Z and 12MZ,/14MZ are completely programmable, so it would just be a stick change to get what you need.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:24 PM
My dog can sense lift
Ansonia, CT USA
Joined Jun 2005
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwind
I am a lefty too but I have always flown in mode 2. All of the lefties that I know of also use mode 2, you find life easier and a lot more radios to choose from take the time to get use to flying mode 2.
As a lefty, I agree with all of the above, plus if you ever want anyone to fly your plane for any reason, chances are nil that you'll ever find another pilot who flies mode 3.

It's too bad single-stick radios never really caught on because, except for the positioning of the throttle control and trim, they really were universal for righties and lefties. In the grand scheme of things, I always thought single-stick made much more sense than flying with two sticks, which is a lot like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

Jack
UnkyJack is offline Find More Posts by UnkyJack
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnkyJack
As a lefty, I agree with all of the above, plus if you ever want anyone to fly your plane for any reason, chances are nil that you'll ever find another pilot who flies mode 3.

It's too bad single-stick radios never really caught on because, except for the positioning of the throttle control and trim, they really were universal for righties and lefties. In the grand scheme of things, I always thought single-stick made much more sense than flying with two sticks, which is a lot like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

Jack
You could always make your own:
http://mstar2k.com/

There are a couple single stick radios on ebay right now if you wanted parts for the project.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:38 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,971 Posts
Four Eyes, what part of the world are you in ??
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Dothan, Al., USA
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
Four-Eyes, are you just starting to learn to fly? If so, I recommend you learn in Mode 2 which is the most popular in the US (and Alabama). It really does not matter in which Mode you learn to fly - you will learn in ANY Mode. Once you learn to fly in a particular mode it will be very difficult to unlearn it and switch to a different Mode. As already stated you may end up wanting to help someone with a single stick radio. You'll be in trouble even during the learning period - no one will be able to put you on a buddy box as the instructor will have to fly your plane on the master tranny on Mode 2 while you're on the buddy box on Mode 3.

Don't be stubborn and use the most popular tranny Mode in your area. Stubbornness is not good in our hobby, persistence is.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Actually, I have been out of the hobby about 12 years, but flew for years in mode 2 before that. I also enjoy flying on a computer. On the computer, I am sooo much better with the joy stick in my left hand (and they do make ambidextrous joysticks - see Saitek) that the difference is phenomenal. If you do not believe me, try a joystick or mouse left handed some time and see how far you get. I does make a difference, a big difference. Try it left handed and see. Us lefties learn mode 2 because we have almost no choice.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
As I said, a 9C and a couple of screwdrivers will get you what you want. Pick up a used one if you are worried about voiding warranty, or buy new and send it for service to be changed.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Did someone suggest a Multiplex EVO?

It has all 4 stick modes. Or you can make up your own (I think, still plowing trough the books).
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Don't mess with programming get what you want, open it up and swap the stick and trim wires.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu