Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
New Product
New Sony Mini HDR-AZ1VR actioncam

Just found out about this new "mini"

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-az1-kit

New from IFA: Sony's Action Cam Mini POV Camera (5 min 15 sec)

Looks very nice, was thinking about the AS100 instead of a GoPro, but I think I'll better hold of for a bit longer now this comes out
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:09 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,711 Posts
I have the older version and I am very happy with it
will probably as time pass next year I will get this mini version
Small and light

Guy
guyg is online now Find More Posts by guyg
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:00 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
I actualy bought the "older" (HDR-AS30V) in the store today, at a price of just € 149,- / $ 186,-

So that's a huge price-drop!

The set contains the waterproof housing and a few mounts. I realy like the camera after the first tests. 1080P/60 looks great. Especialy like the free iPhone app from Sony that enables Wi-fi - live-view and camera control. It's all I need for the moment as a step-up from my Mobius.

Only downside about the AS30 is that it does not have a tripod-mount on the camera itself, but for the price I can live with that. Will probably buy the AS100 or rather the AZ1 next year when they drop in price, for the moment I just don't like the idea of sticking $300,- camera's on my crash foamies.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:52 AM
Joined Feb 2014
328 Posts
I have the AS100VR. It's good, and it's bad.

It's sort of typical Sony product. It shines in one area, and it's stupidly designed and limiting in another area for seemingly no reason. People have been complaining on the Sony community forums to hopefully at least get the firmware issues changed, but it doesn't look like Sony gives a damn.

The 'steadyshot' is sort of nice for regular on the ground video. But digital stabilization degrades video quality too much. It's soft and crappy compared to Gopro video, making it rather useless. To get good quality video out of AS100VR, you need to turn image stabilization off... so not much point to it for aerial video.
Witoldc is offline Find More Posts by Witoldc
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:09 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
641 Posts
I agree Witoldc. I have been comparing my GoPro AS100v lately and it seems to be a bit soft when steadyshot is on. It can be seen pretty clearly in this comparison that I did. Both videos are straight from the camera showing the lack of detail in the Sony footage. I am a huge fan of the Sony camera though and use it regularly on my planes for aerial footage. This smaller size of this version may meet my needs for taking still shots from my quadcopter while my GoPro Hero 4 (soon to be purchased) takes care of the video.
The Bridge_Sony AS100v vs GoPro Hero 3 black (4 min 6 sec)
markarch is online now Find More Posts by markarch
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:42 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
I agree that the GoPro looks better, to bad the GoPro was in a gimbal and the Sony not. Would have liked to see that differents.

So yeah the GoPro still remains the best action cam for the moment, but it's good to see there's serious competition now. The Sony's are about a 100 bucks cheaper, and I simply like the form factor better. I fly fixed wing mostly and Sony has the better shape for that.

They all have theire problems, I remember a lot of firmware problems with the Gopro 3 as well.

What I've seen is that the Sony's do better in low-light, audio is better, steadyshot and even GPS are great features, and battery live is way longer. Splash water-proof is also great on the new models. Also better in head/helmet-mounting options.

The GoPro has a better lens / sharper, more mounts options and best choice overall for water sports.

The produced colors are personal preference, sometimes I like the GoPro, other times I would prefer the Sony.

Digital stabilization may degrade video quality, but I think in a lot of situations I rather watch a bit softer stabilized video than shaky sharp video content. Ofcorse one can do stabilization in post-processing, but most people will use what they get out of a camera.
Last edited by Justapoke; Oct 05, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:32 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
Stabilization

Here's a comparison on what stabilization can do..

I've quickly tested my "cheapo" AS30 yesterday, to bad it was very late and sun was down.
About 30 minutes later I had to stop flying because I could not clearly see my model anymore.
So it's in very low-light and grainy, but you can clearly see that digital stabilization is a huge bonus.

Have some prop balance as well, but it's just a comparison on stabilization!

Sony AS30 Test [low light] - Twinstar (5 min 43 sec)

Hope to have a sunny day soon to see how the AS30 does in better light.
Ofcorse the newer AS100 and AZ1 (or a GoPro 3) would give way sharper images, but again the AS30 is just 149,- Euro

The stabilization function is also a lot better on the newer models.

Older footage with Mobius, same Twinstar model and location:
TSII New strip flight (8 min 45 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:50 AM
Joined Feb 2014
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
So yeah the GoPro still remains the best action cam for the moment, but it's good to see there's serious competition now. The Sony's are about a 100 bucks cheaper, and I simply like the form factor better. I fly fixed wing mostly and Sony has the better shape for that.

Digital stabilization may degrade video quality, but I think in a lot of situations I rather watch a bit softer stabilized video than shaky sharp video content. Ofcorse one can do stabilization in post-processing, but most people will use what they get out of a camera.
Yup, there are situations where stabilization is more important than pure image quality. It's not that I am disappointed with IQ on Sony, but it just doesn't compare to my BE+.

As far as I understand, Gopro is buying sensors from Sony and GP4 has the same sensor as AS100. Ultimately, if Sony wants to win this war, they will win it. But there may be no will to do so... Gopro is selling their sensors anyway.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:55 AM
Joined Feb 2014
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post
This smaller size of this version may meet my needs for taking still shots from my quadcopter while my GoPro Hero 4 (soon to be purchased) takes care of the video.
This is another point that everyone on Sony Community forums is complaining about.

The camera takes 13.5MP stills, but not when you put it in time lapse mode. In time lapse mode, you are limited to crappy 2MP resolution.

As far as I can tell, Mini HDR-AZ1 is also crippled to 2MP time lapse resolution for some reason.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:25 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
I use my Sony HDR-AS100v with image stabilization on because of the narrower view there is less fisheye.
Here are a few videos I made all with the Sony HDR-AS100v.

Jedediah Island, a magical place filmed from a 3288 bayliner, a Quadcopter, and an RC airplane (24 min 42 sec)

Aerial Video flying through trees,under bridges,over waterfalls,using my Quadcopter (12 min 57 sec)

And one without a gimbal

Sunshine Coast aerial videography paddling on Garden Bay Lake (3 min 32 sec)
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:45 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,651 Posts
That's great ofc, but thread is about HDR-AZ1, not AS100V.

It's already released and available with remote (can't find kit without remote anywhere in EU, will order too).
Anyone tested maybe?
Interesting stuff:
- video with steadyshot from copter/plane
- timelapse options (still limited to 2Mpx in timelapse mode?)
- photo sample (max quality - to check for EXIF info and compression)
...and ofc overall quality ;-)
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:51 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
Well it's nice to see some AS100 video's, as the AZ1 should be the same quality?

Thanks for sharing 1111Mavrick!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:12 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
the HDR-AZ1 is the same as the AS100V but without the GPS (which is now in the Live View Remote - the wrist thingy !)

so really any video on AS100V will be same as if from AZ1

must have been a big GPS module !!

@1111Mavrick
plz tell me the artist on the Sunshine Coast vid !!
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:32 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
the HDR-AZ1 is the same as the AS100V but without the GPS (which is now in the Live View Remote - the wrist thingy !)

so really any video on AS100V will be same as if from AZ1
Are you really sure?
Reading specs on Sony website:
AZ1: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-az1-kit
"11.9MP (effective) Exmorô R CMOS sensor"
AS100V: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/ac...s100v-body-kit
"18.9MP Exmor Rô CMOS sensor"
Even sensor is different, i read some talk earlier about some internal changes (processing, slightly different steadyshot), not sure if there's something serious.
Video/photo effective pixels differ too, but sensor size is the same. But smaller megapixel count = less room for optical stabilisation (steadyshot), bigger pixel size - maybe slightly better low light performance, etc...
No?
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:47 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
I believed the mini had no GPS, and a smaller battery.

If you watch the first IFA video I posted above the lady from Sony mentions same sensor, same steady-shot etc. etc. Just no GPS and battery.

So I'm kinda suprised with the specs that are now posted.
Let's hope we will see a test between both cams soon..