SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2013, 09:52 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
Discussion
9xr for the love of god

I bought a 9xr recently and also a tarot zyx FBL system. I have been pulling my hair out for the last couple of hours trying to get this thing to work. My problem is programming the mixes and getting the appropriate channels where they need to be. It seems when I use the template it puts cyl1/2/3 instead of aile/ele/rud and puts pitch on channel 11. Terribly confused, I have looked up videos, tutorials and am still lost. Is anyone able to help me here?
Jmoore12 is offline Find More Posts by Jmoore12
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
When using FBL for helicopters, you don't use the cyclic mixes at all. You're better off not using the templates and deleting the mixes.

It doesn't matter what channel you assign the controls, not at all, THERE IS NO APPROPRIATE CHANNEL. You just assign the throttle, rudder, aileron, elevato, pitch and gain to wherever you like and remember where they are when you actually plug in the ZYX to the receiver.

Only use the templates to learn how the mixes work, but don't use them.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 03:53 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,343 Posts
Dont worry, help is here on the forum! I could send you my config file if you like.

Quick tip: Temporarily add an switch-activated replace-mix to center (0 output) on the pitch channel. When you flip that you can easily start getting your servohorns straight without having to worry your Tx stick is dead center.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Last edited by sp00fman; May 24, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. This is not my normal account. My old username was JustinMoore12, I made the sticky at the top of this forum (index of popular models) I got out of the hobby for a long time, and lost my user info. I did what was suggested in the first post, created a new model and got rid of the switches. One more question though, can anyone walk me through how to program the nessecary mixes for thr cut and idl up? I wish I had the cord to flash the transmitter, but I have not been able to find one anywhere in stock. Thanks again
Old May 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
The thing about the mixer is that it's linear. You may have noticed you can add multiple mixes to a single channel, the thing about it is that the ones at the bottom of the list of mixes takes precedence over the top.

These are my curves

c1 = Standard progressive throttle curve, used for my normal throttle and idle up pitch curves
c2 = My idle up throttle curve
c3 = My blade pitch on normal mode

My channel 1 is the throttle channel

R = Replace or ignore all the mixes above this one
THR = Throttle stick
HALF = Use 100% and 0 (Full is 100% and -100%)

1st = If the switch on the upper right is UP, send the values of the c1 curve.
2nd = If the switch on the upper right is DOWN, send the values of the c2 curve, Ignore the above mixes
3rd = If the switch on the upper left is DOWN, send -100 to the throttle, ignore the above mixes
4th = If the switch on the upper left shoulder is FORWARD, send -100 to the throttle, ignore the above mixes
5th = If the switch on the three position switch is FULLY DOWN, send -100 to the throttle, ignore the above mixes

As you can tell, I have three throttle holds. The one on the left shoulder is the same place as the Devo7, the upper left of the left stick is the one I can reach.

The one in three position switch is incase I forget to turn on the gyro. That switch controls the gyro gain and I use it to turn off the gyro when carrying the heli. Sometimes I forget to turn it back on so I added a throttle hold to the 50% gain switch as well to keep it from spinning out of control.

EDIT: Just to make it more complete, here's the rest

Channel 5 is my pitch channel. It's also tied to the same switch on the upper right as the throttle channel.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; May 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
Hajile,
You are the man! That walk through is so helpful, I cant thank you enough. Unfortunately I have been messing with it for the last couple of hours and don't have the energy to get into the mixes this evening.(1130pm) But I am going to dive into it tomorrow, it should be ready for a maiden tomorrow evening. This will be my first flybarless heli, and I am extremely excited. Thought you all might want to see a picture,

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Good stuff man.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:17 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,343 Posts
If you search Ebay for USB AVR programmer you cant miss.

You really want that, as the new firmware has some improvements and make setting the mixes a bit easier.

Also id suggest keeping one throttle hold. You really dont want to flip anything by accident in flight.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old May 25, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
@sp00fman
Actually, the one complaint i've had with the 9XR is that you really can't flip anything especially if you're a pinch user. There is no freaking way i can reach any of the shoulder switches while flying even if i wanted to. And i actually have to let go of the throttle stick to reach the ELE switch (I still have the thumb on it to hold it steady very briefly but it does not have control without both fingers, that's why i can only use throttle hold a second after touchdown). I even change from normal to idle up while still on the ground because doing it midair would risk a crash

I used to hit throttle hold about a foot off the ground and let the heli float down on the Devo7. I can't do that on the 9XR
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; May 25, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,223 Posts
And this is why Thumbs are #1
Just kidding , I couldn't pinch fly to save my life . I have been Thumb flier for 20 years , I even tried to pinch ,and cant do it
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
ill do that spoof.

I have rather large hands and dont really have any problem reaching the switches. I am a thumb flyer though, couldnt control anything with the sticks pinched.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
Just for reference, this is how i (and probably other pinch fliers) hold my TX.

I did start out as a thumb user when i got my v911. But switched to pinch when i got the GeniusCP after trying out different ways of holding the TX.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
I see what you mean. I could never get comfortable with the pinch.

Another question, it seems when using the Tarot FBL system, when I add TX subtrim to get the input signal from the tx centered it changes the swash parameters considerably. Anyone else deal with this problem? I end up with more throw one way and less the other.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,483 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, you're not supposed to use trims or subtrims at all when using FBL. You zero everything on the TX and the trims are adjusted by connecting a USB cable to the gyro and adjusting it via software on the PC.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
Well, the Tarot gyro instructions actually have you using sub trims to center the Tx signal that the gyro receives. That is the first step in the tarot usb software. Just seeing if you had any experience with it.

Played airsoft all day, havent had time to setup the idl and thr cut. I did get a few flights in this evening on the freshly built heli. first flybarless heli and I am really excited to throw it around a bit.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2013
14 Posts
I was hoping I could find some advice for setting up my 450x on my 9xr. I have 4 curves for pitch and throttle. I use the ID switch at position 2 (in the middle), resulting in 80% throttle and a linear -100 to 100 pitch curve. My 4th mix is Throttle Hold, assigned to the same linear curve for pitch, and -100 for throttle. My issue is, throttle hold changes the pitch. I tried autorotation for landing, as a guy at my LHS said to do so, and when I did this, the heli shop up about 10 feet and came crashing down. Big damage. What is wrong here. Is there a better setup of mixes and curves?
thepiper92 is offline Find More Posts by thepiper92