HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:08 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwait View Post
Obviously you know what I really meant better than I do. Good luck with that in the future. As for who I decide to hold it against or not, I think I'll choose my own interpretation of my thoughts and ideas on that.
let the reader decide
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:16 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Trying to boil this down a bit, I think it boils down to if you are OK with promoted threads or not. Other forums are doing promoted threads/posts. Twitter is doing this. I think Facebook is too. There definitely has been some backlash to the sponsored posts from both.

We are doing a nice job of bumping this thread and promoting the Pike Perfection though. Which I guess is good, Soaring USA is a supporter of F3K.

Getting back on topic a bit, it is a very nice plane. I'll keep an eye out in 2023 for a used one.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:23 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post

Getting back on topic a bit, it is a very nice plane. I'll keep an eye out in 2023 for a used one.
Actually, I might have to take that back. I see it is a 2 piece wing. That means it has ~72 inch wing sections which is a bit tough for me at least for transportation unless I am sans family. As it is I keep wanting to cut 1.5 meter DLG wings in 2....

Nice looking plane though.

Ryan
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:51 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Actually, I might have to take that back. I see it is a 2 piece wing. That means it has ~72 inch wing sections which is a bit tough for me at least for transportation unless I am sans family. As it is I keep wanting to cut 1.5 meter DLG wings in 2....

Nice looking plane though.

Ryan
that's what initially drew me to this thread.

Yes, it is a nice looking plane :-)
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:08 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
+100000

I could easily tolerate the occasional thread-ads in here, especially from one that has given plenty of support for the hobby.
The least we could do is check it out and the worst is to ignore it.

The thread-ad is still in the Soaring forum and I consider it on-topic. The bitching and moaning about something this simple is one that is off-topic. Quite honestly, I used to be more active in RCG. The one thing that is actually pushing me away is all this constant bickering. Thanks for making it true once again.

Thank you, SoaringUSA, for all the support and the thousands of dollars you've donated all these years. I guess a mouse-click is still too expensive around here.

Soar!
Jun C.
+1 for the Junster cheers Bob rocks
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:23 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
So far as hand launching it would go, I always hand launch all my planes before string launching. Even the 3 meter ones. I do a run into the wind and then a level javelin towards the horizon. I can't javelin launch a big plane hard enough to work lift personally. Although I have seen guys throw a 3+ meter plane high enough to thermal that's not something I have ever been able to do.

Ryan
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:03 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Quote:
So far as hand launching it would go, I always hand launch all my planes before string launching. Even the 3 meter ones. I do a run into the wind and then a level javelin towards the horizon. I can't javelin launch a big plane hard enough to work lift personally. Although I have seen guys throw a 3+ meter plane high enough to thermal that's not something I have ever been able to do.

Ryan
It is not how high you throw it, it is knowing when to throw cheers
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:53 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
It is not how high you throw it, it is knowing when to throw cheers
I struggle to throw a 3 meter plane higher than 6 feet off the ground so personally I'll leave the throwing models into thermals to the DLGs.

But that is just me. I fully admit I am not very good.

Ryan
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:08 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,543 Posts
Guys
I wanted to jump in and say that Soaring USA had no idea we were going to feature one of their birds in a news feature.

I have read all of your posts and will keep your thoughts in mind. I have moved this thread to the proper section.

I'm sure most of you have noticed that we now have a sailplane exclusive channel:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/channels.php?id=36
The Sailplane channel has everything related to sailplanes in one place.
WIth the new channels pages we are working to create daily news stories that are relevant to each channel. We are still figuring out what makes a good news story and appreciate your input.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:08 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
***hijack alert***

My first hand chuck to dot with a 3m plane was with a Hera. I saw a swirl of bugs upwind and didn't have the winch strung yet but the airplane was assembled. I threw it as hard as I could and drove upwind about 10 feet off the ground... right into the core. You could see the airplane accelerating toward the center from about 50 yards out. To this day it's still one of my most memorable thermal flights. The Hera had a horribly undersized Vtail and it was a handful to get it stood up and cranking in the tiny thermal but it was an unbelievable ride.

***end hijack alert***

Thanks for chiming in Jim. We all love this place and want to keep it enjoyable for everyone.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:57 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Pike Perfection

Hi Jim,

Thanks for this great Feature ad!

I decided to offer 10% off on ANY of our Pike Perfections we have in stock to go along with this great ad! These models are artwork!

We have Perfects too!!

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor