Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWARTYBOY View Post
After reading my original post i may have got the details slightly wrong with regard to my left spinning 9116

With throttle at approx 30% the tail rotor speeds up when heli body rotated CCW and slows down when rotated CW so that seems to be in order , all other linkages seem intact with no visible sign of anything broken

Can anyone suggest what I should try next to diagnose the fault in my Heli

any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks

Stewart
Hi
Read this, I hope we help you......
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3670
Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Is there a lag in tail motor response when you increase throttle? As throttle is increased the tail motor should increase as well with no lag. If there is a lag this could be due to dirt/debris or a weak tail motor.

Mike
Mdigiovabc is offline Find More Posts by Mdigiovabc
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
700 Posts
Tail Motor

Hi
The tail motor is really fragile, that's why I made ​​a correction to better protect it. As I read several descriptions when the blade touches something, the engine may be materially adversely.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3474

Bye Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hi
The tail motor is really fragile, that's why I made ​​a correction to better protect it. As I read several descriptions when the blade touches something, the engine may be materially adversely.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3474

Bye Gilles
Never hurts to have a spare tail motor or two on hand. I just bought my 9116 a little more than a week ago, and I already have a replacement tail motor in the mail so when it finally does fail, I won't lose out on airtime.
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
It does sound as though as the throttle increases the tail rotor too increases with good response .

There is a small dent in the tail boom where presumably the previous owner dinged it could that indicate given my symptoms that indeed I should replace tail boom complete with motor ?
STEWARTYBOY is offline Find More Posts by STEWARTYBOY
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
It does sound as though as the throttle increases the tail rotor too increases with good response .

There is a small dent in the tail boom where presumably the previous owner dinged it could that indicate given my symptoms that indeed I should replace tail boom complete with motor ?
A dent in the tail boom is most likely the result of a flybar strike, which happens when maneuvers are too abrupt or you crash. A good way to check this, is to hold the flybar up to the tail boom to see if the proximity of the dent coincides with the position of the flybar.

If the dent does not coincide with the flybar position, that dent most likely happened in a crash with a hard object.

Unless your tail boom is bent (even just slightly), that dent is merely a cosmetic flaw, and should not affect the flyability of your 9116. So if your tail motor is working as it should, you shouldn't have to replace it yet.

I have a dent in my tail boom from a flybar strike that occurred during my 9116's maiden flight. But she still flies as good as she did when I pulled her out of the box on the first day.

If the cosmetic flaw bothers you, a replacement stock tail boom/motor is available on TMart for $4.99 shipped from the US warehouse. Like I said before, it doesn't hurt to have one or two on hand anyways, because your tail motor will fail eventually. Best to be prepared for when it does.

Hell, even if the cosmetic flaw doesn't bother you, and you just want to try a new tail boom and motor anyways, for five bucks, what have you got to lose? Worst case scenario, you're left with a spare tail motor that will come in handy at a later date. And because everything is plug-n-play, the repair should be rather easy, no soldering involved.

Stock tail boom/motor on TMart:
http://www.tmart.com/Chopper-Tail-Un...k_p161580.html
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
K so iv been gone for a while. I quickly learned how to fly it, usually when it is flying with the nose away from me. I've given it a few good crashes and everything still seems fine, except a cracked canopy. Now the problem, the other day while flying i was at like middle throttle but randomly the heli went FUll power and went up to the sky. I quickly shut down the throttle and like 1-2 seconds later the heli came down. Now when i hold the heli in my hand it'll throttle up to full by its self when i am about half way. All the parts seem in tact as well as the wires, you think this is a board problem? It'll stall sometimes for a second before going full blast on its own, stall full blast stall full blast etc. The stalls are really really quick btw.
F1n1shed is offline Find More Posts by F1n1shed
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
For what its worth ,go on Ebay or such and get a DH 9100 for cheap,all parts are all the same except pcb and swash, if you total the $ of individual parts they would cost way more,plus you have a surplus of screws and any thing else,plus the 9100 ,can,blades,and frame look way more atractive So 9100 +9116 swash+9116pcb and 9116 AIL servo ,all plug and play=9116..save.the shell for spare parts,same bird ,looks way more bad ass IMO Steve PS you can mix and match any combination you like just keep the 9116 swash and pcb. Of course its always good to keep spare parts such as tail motors,mains,and an extra 9116 pcb and swash around and servos are all the same !
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Last edited by roadglidec; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1n1shed View Post
K so iv been gone for a while. I quickly learned how to fly it, usually when it is flying with the nose away from me. I've given it a few good crashes and everything still seems fine, except a cracked canopy. Now the problem, the other day while flying i was at like middle throttle but randomly the heli went FUll power and went up to the sky. I quickly shut down the throttle and like 1-2 seconds later the heli came down. Now when i hold the heli in my hand it'll throttle up to full by its self when i am about half way. All the parts seem in tact as well as the wires, you think this is a board problem? It'll stall sometimes for a second before going full blast on its own, stall full blast stall full blast etc. The stalls are really really quick btw.
Check the batteries in your TX, if good sounds like a loose connection or bad solder joint somewhere in the TXor maybe some dirt or grit in the contacts or bad contact to your anteanna wire ,after that I would guess the PCB Good Luck Steve
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:17 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1n1shed View Post
Does it this?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2925
The problem at one of mine was a cold/broken solder on a connection pin (the black block connecting main PCB with the antenna PCB)
retouch them and / or The crystal connections with a soldering iron.
If it doesn't help - you'll need a new control board.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:19 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcor View Post
I am having trouble saving the throttle curve setting on the radio. I press sel to select %50 then press menu to save and it doesn't save the setting. All the other settings will save ok. Stock radio but I am using it on a wl v911 heli.
Press menu for 2 secs - till the batt-voltage is back on screen.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:25 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,628 Posts
Quote:
hello everyone

My first post on this forum and boy do I need someones help

Got a 2nd hand (fatal error) 9116 mode 2 from ebay

Man whom I bought it from says hovers fine but needs some tuning but he cannot workout the digital controller and adjustments .

When I power up the heli it seems stable give it some more throttle and she lifts off and immediately starts spinning anti clockwise no trim or rudder control from the sticks will stop her doing this , I have checked tail rotor which spins faster nose right and slower nose left

I used the setup posted previously on here ensuring the previous owner had not set up the controls incorrectly

There is a small dent on the tail boom but the boom looks straight

I cannot fathom what is amiss and as I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to the heli's I dont know if it is something integrally wrong and I should go ahed and try and fix it or do I buy a brand new 9116 and keep this one for spares or do I buy a completely different chopper and cut my losses

i would aprreciate any advice or help

Appreciate you reading .........
tried to set the rudder subtrims to 120?
any changes in rotation speed?
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Hi Mike ,

Yeah got sub trims at 120 which stops it spinning before take off but as soon as she gets off the ground CCW strikes again with some ferocity might I add .

is there any way to your knowledge to find out if it is the motor or the pcb or is it really just your donald duck (luck) .

thanks to everyone so far for the advice given . This little scamp will fly again !

Stewart
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:46 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,628 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike ,

Yeah got sub trims at 120 which stops it spinning before take off but as soon as she gets off the ground CCW strikes again with some ferocity might I add .

is there any way to your knowledge to find out if it is the motor or the pcb or is it really just your donald duck (luck) .

thanks to everyone so far for the advice given . This little scamp will fly again !

Stewart
If the bird passes the gyro-test (as described above) then to 99% it is a nearly dead tail motor in my experience. to be exact: worn out/ burnt positive brush of motor - but no way to change only this piece
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thank you my good man

I shall go forth and order a new tail motor and let you know how it goes , 10.50 from the uk for the motor and boom or 3.21 from our friends stateside , I know where I will be doing my shopping (thanks Gilles )

cheers Mike - appreciated
Closed Thread