SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:36 AM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,187 Posts
Mike-O - what a beach! I bet you bring your EasyStar next time! Looks darn good compared to Fairbanks snow.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:36 PM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,187 Posts
EasyStar II configuration

Here's my new ESII setup! I moved the Vtx to the tail to balance the Pixim Seawolf camera, using shielded cable, ferrites and a low cut filter. I replaced the Spektrum AR6115 parkflier rx with a full-range AR6210. The AR6210 sits against the belly hatch with antennas parallel to the floor and clear of wiring. The satellite rx antennas are perpendicular and wrapped around the tail boom. All-up weight is 1133 gms with a 2200mah 3S battery.

I tested the new setup with a Dx6i nd a 3dbi omni antenna. With the Dx6i antenna horizontal, the signal strength was improved but I got signal glitches as close as 1500 feet. Setting the antenna vertical made a BIG difference - I flew out 3600 feet and the RSSI only dropped below 90% once (86%). That's a huge improvement from the AR6115 which has had numerous signal glitches starting around 900 feet out and two complete losses at 1500 and 2500 feet, resulting in brief nosedives.

The Vtx used to be above the wings, where the GPS receiver now sits. I'm not sure if it's filters and shielded cables or the new position, but the video signal is much improved. The old setup got fuzzy between 2500 and 3000 feet. Now I'm getting clear video beyond 3000 feet. The GPS took a lot longer to lock on though. I'm not sure if yesterday was a bad GPS day (at latitude 65N the satellites are on the southern horizon) or there is interference with the GPS rx above the wings. If the problem continues, I'll move the GPS rx to the nose.
Last edited by mutski; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:12 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Ordered Gregoo's motor setup.
I ordered the same motor/esc in January, and two weeks later it's here. Hopefully I'll have enough to get the plane airborne on floats with GoPro.

Can the battery leads be extended far enough to mount the esc in the cavity below the motor? The leads would have to be at least 8" long to reach the connector from the canopy hatch. My previous esc was in the back of the body cavity below the wing, which unfortunately makes it susceptible to even small amounts of water ingress.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:44 PM
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post
I ordered the same motor/esc in January, and two weeks later it's here. Hopefully I'll have enough to get the plane airborne on floats with GoPro.

Can the battery leads be extended far enough to mount the esc in the cavity below the motor? The leads would have to be at least 8" long to reach the connector from the canopy hatch. My previous esc was in the back of the body cavity below the wing, which unfortunately makes it susceptible to even small amounts of water ingress.
No problem. The Multiplex design is to place the ESC in the motor pod.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:16 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Thanks, Mutski. My original setup matched that in the picture labeled "alternate arrangement", although my battery was further back.

I'll extend the leads on the ESC before attaching the battery connector. That will help keep the weight back to counter the GoPro weight in front of the canopy.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:42 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post

I ordered mine from the USA warehouse saturday and it arrived yesterday, along with two Turnigy nanotec 2200's and a HK wattmeter. I love that they have a US warehouse now, I just wish they had everything on the site there! BTW, both batteries arrived at 48% charge and perfectly balanced.

I have all my parts now but one thing I'm wondering is whether or not to stick with the XT-60 battery connectors they have attached to the lipos and watt meter. They seem like good connectors and look easy enough to solder but of course they only have them available from china.. Deans have always been a hassle for me to solder for some reason.

Anyone using these XT-60 connectors?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:01 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Anyone using these XT-60 connectors?
Yes. In my opinion they are far superior to Deans in almost every respect;.but then I've only used Deans connectors once. It was enough...
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:04 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Yes. In my opinion they are far superior to Deans in almost every respect...but then I've only used Deans connectors once.
Thanks for the response. Do you know of anywhere in the US to get them?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:17 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Do you know of anywhere in the US to get them?
I'm in the UK, so no. As they are Hexotronic, they are likely only to be available from HobbyKing. That's where I get mine from.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
That would make sense, wouldnt it? Guess I'll place my order and wait.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:54 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Do you know of anywhere in the US to get them?
They are available in the US.

http://www.valuehobby.com/xt60-connector-pair.html
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:27 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yup. Found em on ebay too from a few US dealers. Probably the knock offs that HK warns about but I ordered some from HK too so I can compare.

Thanks for the reply and link.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:31 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yup. Found em on ebay too from a few US dealers. Probably the knock offs that HK warns about but I ordered some from HK too so I can compare.

Thanks for the reply and link.
Ha.It's funny to imagine HK complaining about knock offs with their history..
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:36 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Ha.It's funny to imagine HK complaining about knock offs with their history..
True that!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:20 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I am about to build an EZII. I built about 15 EZ I models. I know a lot are looking for FPV but I want to build with some screaming performance. I normally used 3000Kv motors on my V1 planes and enlarged the rudders. These things were screaming fun but could also fly slow and steady.

I wonder if anyone has anyone has any experience in this area an has any motor recommendations. I know the MPLX says a 200W motor but that is about it. Any input would be great. I may need to ditch the folding prop and that is OK too.

Thanks,
Wayne
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia