HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:52 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Discussion
Whats with the new alloy fan units?

First, I am not passing judgment, just trying to get some data.

Whats the advantage of the alloy fan units that seem to be coming out lately? The only thing I can think of is that it acts as a heatsink. I have an RC Lander alloy 90mm in my FlyFly Mirage and it flies ok. This is my 3rd Mirage and the first 2 used an HET 600-32 and a Midifan pro. Personally I liked the Midi setup better, and ended up putting it in a Sapac JAS-39 and it is as fast or faster than the Mirage, is supposed to be "draggier" and is heavier.

So, other than the heaksink aspect, what is the advantage of an alloy unit and is the advantage enough to overcome the extra weight?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:00 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,846 Posts
Alloy is heavy. Can't beat carbon sandwich material then CRP.
Talking about the fan shroud here, not the core.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:03 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Yeah I should have specified that I am strictly talking about the shroud here and not trying to get into rotor/motor performance etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:53 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,846 Posts
I'm about to test fly my Tam F-16 with midi and 10S. Medusa 3660-1300kv w/heatsink. Carl Rich setup and pretty cheap. Test running tonight.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:42 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
To me the only advantage seems in LV/HA setups where the plastic fans melt the motor flange due to exessive heat which eventually may cause a crash of the rotor to the shroud with a big bang. The better dissipation of heat seems to be an excuse to stick with cheaper LV/HA systems. When going to Hv systems I think an Alu shroud isn't mandatory. A big disatvantage of alu housings are the straight stators used where the other fans seem to be more efficient and may be more acoustic friendly.
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Last edited by Erik v. Schaik; Jun 04, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: wrong vocabulary
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:52 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I can definitely relate to the heat issues as my first 90mm build with the midifan pro on 6s with a 600-32 eventually melted my plastic shroud mounting points, however since then I added a heat sink to the motor, and made carbon fiber "washers" and placed them between the motor and shroud and have not had an issue since. So, it seems the heat issue can be addressed cheaper and more efficiently than an alloy shroud. Now maybe my scenario isn't applicable being on the "smaller" side IE: 80 amps, 1500 watts. and my experience won't translate to a "high end" setup that these alloy shrouds are designed for.

I am curious to hear what the manufacturers/suppliers of these alloy units say justifies the extra cost and weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:29 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
6s for 90mm is definately a LV/HA setup
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:41 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
To me the only advantage seems in LV/HA setups where the plastic fans melt the motor flange due to exessive heat which eventually may cause a crash of the rotor to the shroud with a big bang. The better dissipation of heat seems to be an excuse to stick with cheaper LV/HA systems. When going to Hv systems I think an Alu shroud isn't mandatory. A big disatvantage of alu housings are the straight stators used where the other fans seem to be more efficient and may be more acoustic friendly.
This exactly what happened in my Sapac L-39 a couple weeks ago. Luckily it melted right as I was lifting off so I was able to keep the damage minimal. I thought I spit a magnet but when i took it apart the motor was full of melted plastic from the fan unit.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jun 04, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bateman View Post
Alloy is heavy. Can't beat carbon sandwich material then CRP.
Talking about the fan shroud here, not the core.
Alloy Aluminum is way cheaper than carbon, but yes carbon is the best for quality.
Aluminum conducts heat the best (vs. plastic, nylon, carbon, etc) so it should help with cooling quite a bit.
And especially when the shroud is fully exposed to the air.
Weight is good too.
The Skyworld JP-1000 (100mm) unit only weighs 140grams (4.93 oz)according to the spec sheet.
http://www.skyworld-rc.com/SkyWorld%...m%20manual.jpg
Phoenix426 is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix426
Last edited by Phoenix426; Jun 04, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:22 PM
mid west
Joined Jan 2002
668 Posts
Aluminum doesen't handel drops well not that you shouls drop them, but it happens, and a dented intake isn't easy to fix or adapt. The heat sink value is good though.

Morris

Ductedfans-RC
Ductedfann is offline Find More Posts by Ductedfann
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Aluminum schrods

For what its worth, I was the first to make use of the aluminum schroud. How about 25 years ago. I offered it as a replacement for the PVC schroud, used in the AEROJET 46. ( The AEROJET 46 was ICDF using a .46 size glow engine. Made with a Dynamax rotor cut down to 4 inches.) When I got in to the EDF market the first fan I developed was a 4" fan using the Dynamax rotor parts. One reason was I had about 100 or so rotors. I also found it easier to machine aluminum thin wall tubing, instead of 4" PVC pipe. I also found that the aluminum schroud could machined thin, thus its ligher and stronger. As for a heat sink, it doesn't do anything, unless you have aluminum stator vanes to transfer the heat. I machine heat sink fins in the aft portion of the center body. Another reason, its easier to machine different sizes. Plastic requires molds, as do the epoxy layup schrouds.

My 2 cents worth

Larry E.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:32 AM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
This exactly what happened in my Sapac L-39 a couple weeks ago. Luckily it melted right as I was lifting off so I was able to keep the damage minimal. I thought I spit a magnet but when i took it apart the motor was full of melted plastic from the fan unit.
WOW! That must be a very Amp hungry setup you used if the you had a meltdown right after take off! Or you did fastcharge your cells and did not take the time for the motor to cool down for the next flight

HV setups don't show this issue. I can recharge and fly within 8 minutes (that's 25A/1200W charger).
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:43 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
WOW! That must be a very Amp hungry setup you used if the you had a meltdown right after take off! Or you did fastcharge your cells and did not take the time for the motor to cool down for the next flight

HV setups don't show this issue. I can recharge and fly within 8 minutes (that's 25A/1200W charger).
I flew a couple times on 4 cells and I don't remember how long between flights I waited but when I tried my 5 cell pack it melted lesson learned
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:26 AM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Seems correct. It would be very unlikely the motor would get this hot within 5-10 seconds so it had to be "very warm" already which resulted in pre warmed plastic shroud.

Having good 4s setup upgrade to 5s would stress a motor very hard as well. A 5s motor will handle 4s or less for sure, but this is not often reverseable .The 16/15/2 or 2w20 can be used for 3s(250w) or 4s(550-600w) and are the only combinations I worked with like this (3s for maiden flight of my Uriah series and when CG and throws are correct I upgrade to 4s which resulted in 262kmh top).

I bet you'll never melt a shroud again

greets!
Erik
Last edited by Erik v. Schaik; Jun 05, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:38 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
A midi housing complete is 75g, my Alloy one is 91g. Mini housing is 48g, Alloy 57g. Not a huge difference and certainly not an issue when the applications are taken into consideration, the main one being high power, the alloy housings are very good for high power setups, this is where they are aimed at.

Techspy the lander fan suffers from the rotor being their local design, the Midi definitely outperforms it. The lander 90mm housing is also 15g heavier than the skyworld one.

You certainly dont need an alloy fan for a 1500-2000 watt Midi setup, but it has benefits when the power really starts to creep up. Another plus is the deformability or lack there of, many people have issues with deforming plastic shrouds when closing up foam airframes, it can also happen if your mounting blocks are not perfectly in line too. The alloy housing wont suffer from this problem.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC