New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
646 Posts
Discussion
Worth it to replace servo gear sets?

I have 4 Spektrum A5060 servos in the wings of my Beast 60e. Such a fun airplane, but I'm finding the ailerons have more play at center than I like. There is no play in the linkage, but the arms move enough for quite a bit of surface movement (as much as 1/8" in one direction).

Is it worth replacing the servo gear sets, or should I swap out the servos entirely?
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Hugh P
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
669 Posts
I would go with some HiTech servos as an upgrade.
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Jan 31, 2016, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by jjkupinski
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,138 Posts
If you haven't had any problems with them, rebuild them. At $14 .32 per gear set (Horizon price) versus $60 to replace those servos. Or you could spend $70 per for Hitec equivalents (HS7245HV) and supposedly give up a bit of torque. But the probably of there being that much torque difference is almost nil. Spectrum rates there torque at 8.4v, Hitec at 7.4v.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Feb 01, 2016, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
5,177 Posts
The unfortunate truth of metal geared servos is that they do wear over time. In an electric like this I would be tempted to go with one of the Karbonite Hitecs or similar "toughened" plastic geartrains available from other manufacturers. Sure they don't survive crashes of ground handling incidents as well and they wouldn't be suitable for a big gasser, but theydo stay tight for an awful lot longer than the MGs.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
Old Feb 01, 2016, 12:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
646 Posts
I think I will try to replace one gear set. If that works well, I will go with the other three. If it doesn't work, I can upgrade to the Hitec 7245's. I have two of those in my EF 70" Extra. They are doing great there. Hopefully, the sizes are such that I can just swap the servos out. I'd rather avoid too much surgery if possible.
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,610 Posts
Be sure to replace case top along with gears - the real wear is not the gear teeth but the pin bearing points. This is tricky to see or feel - you have to assemble the set to feel the difference.
Any decent HD servo will have metal bearing points.
You may only need the case/top
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
646 Posts
Didn't think to replace the case top. My first gear set should arrive in a couple days. I'll see what I get after replacing the gear set. The A5060 is spec'd with all metal gears.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
646 Posts
That didn't go well. I finally got a chance to replace the one of the gear sets in a A5060. My problem is the pin/axle in the main servo arm drive gear would not come out of the original gear. Without that pin, the servo just spins around. The pin was fused in there so good that it broke off when I tried to pull it out.

Time to call HH and see what they can do.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:05 PM
Joined Apr 2007
646 Posts
HH says I can send the servo in, and they can figure something out. I'm not sure I want to bother though. These servos have always had some play in the center. HS-7245MH are exact drop-ins for the A5060. I'm convincing myself that I should just accept the fact that the A5060s are not great and bit the bullet on some new servos.