New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2016, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by InfraMan
Joined Dec 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Traxass X-Maxx - Official Owners Thread.

***X-Maxx Owners Only Please***

I tried this before, Im going to try it again. Im really interested in discussing certain things with X-Maxx owners only. So please take no offense to this thread and only actual Owners of the X-Maxx reply or post in this thread. I appreciate the communities kind understanding.

X-Maxx Owners Post:
  • Your Pictures and Videos of Your X-Maxx
  • Links to AfterMarket X-Maxx Parts
  • Your X-Maxx Mods & Projects
  • Anything X-Maxx Owner Related

Link To X-Maxx (Model 77076-4) Parts List PDF

Hi Guys, I picked up my X-Maxx today and I took a photo of it infront of my 1/6 Scale Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile, for those of you who know this Batmobile, its massive in size, almost 4 feet in length. In other words, when i brought up the box for my X-Maxx, i basically needed my brothers help to carry it upstairs. In the last month, all the videos and pictures I've seen of this truck do the actual size no justice, its huge.

I encourage all X-Maxx owners to join the discussion!

Which Battery is right for my X-Maxx?

By now some of us are aware that the factory ESC overheats at times, some videos have surfaced in the last couple days of a X-Maxx ESC catching fire. Videos like this do not worry me because I'm prepared to do what it takes to keep this truck running at its full potential.

With that said, are any of you considering swapping out your factory ESC's for maybe something a little better like a Mamba XL X?

The Battery compartment for the X-Maxx is a new design for Traxxas as some of the owners will know. Finding the perfect battery to fit and work in-combination with the newly designed ESC and Motor can be tricky.

Ive read a million posts in Facebook groups and forums and everyone seems to have their own opinion about the which batteries should be run in this truck.

Some say to run Traxxas OEM 5000 mAh 3S 25C batteries to avoid any risk of the truck overheating.

Some websites like SPC claim that they have X-Maxx Specific batteries that are 8200 mAh 4S 50C batteries.

Then there is Kershaw Designs who also claims to have a battery pack specific for the X-Maxx 8000 mAh 4S 45C.

So it looks like we have a decent amount of options for Batteries but the question that we need to figure out is which battery will give us the best performance without running the risk of burning up the factory ESC?

Links To Aftermarket X-Maxx Parts
(I will update as you guys post more)

Kershaw Design Traxxas X-Maxx Motor Mount (Coming Soon!)

X-Maxx How To Videos
(I will update as you guys post more)

How to Install Telemetry Expander and GPS into X-Maxx
InfraMan is offline Find More Posts by InfraMan
Last edited by InfraMan; Jan 04, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2016, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by setxws6
Hemi pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
493 Posts
Good idea. I'm not an owner...YET, lol. But we all know it's big, but it would be nice to see technical details from owners and potential problems that may need fixing. Subscribed
setxws6 is online now Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Jan 04, 2016, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2015
11 Posts
I had a lengthy conversation with Traxxas today.

Thus far Traxxas has shipped at least 2,000+ X-Maxx's ( it should also be noted that the X-Maxx is the most pre-ordered RC ever in Traxxas company history)

Traxxas told me 0.5% (10 trucks out of 2,000+) of the trucks they shipped have had ESC issues and its all Battery related. They inspected the faulty parts that were returned to them and determined that the batteries used for the X-Maxx were the wrong batteries. The Traxxas tech told me that this truck was specifically designed to run with Traxxas Batteries only. Please keep in mind that this was not a tactic he used to lure me into buying Traxxas Batteries. The guy made perfect sense to me.

I started to do some research last night and determined a couple things. Companies like SPC, Kershaw & a majority of the RC battery companies (which are most likely run out of someones garage or a small shop) all use the same various suppliers in Shenzhen China. RC batteries are sold in bulk 2 different ways, Certified and Uncertified. For Example, I can buy uncertified RC batteries for maybe around 5 to 6 bucks each pending on the mAh capacity. Or I can buy Certified RC batteries for 10 dollars. The difference is the quality control, not regulatory establishment ( << Important to note that). None of these RC battery companies use in house Chemists or electrical engineers to develop their batteries, they buy them in bulk (AKA MOQ) and rebrand it their own. Just to give you an idea, it would probably cost a company a half million dollars just in R&D to develop their own battery chemistry from scratch.

Traxxas on the other hand actually employees in-house Battery chemist & Engineers, they have two locations for their R&D, facilities, Texas & Japan (where most battery chemistry is developed) They are very specific as to how they design these batteries. The batteries are very software driven with this ID technology they are using, they are meant to be used with these 100 Watt Traxxas ID Chargers which were specifically designed to take the guessing game out of charging and it allows the firmware and the balance plug to do all the work for you.

To sum things up, Traxxas highly recommends a couple things, use their batteries for your X-Maxx, try not to run the X-Maxx longer then 30 mins, Unplug Batteries from the Truck for 5 mins after 30 mins of use, don’t use high discharge batteries higher then 30C. You can however use any size mAh battery, mAh is only the capacity of the battery and will not effect the performance.
Old Jan 04, 2016, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by IllusionX
Buggy in style
Canada, QC, Brossard
Joined May 2015
1,037 Posts
^ I call this BS. Sorry mate, that's not entirely true there.
IllusionX is online now Find More Posts by IllusionX
Old Jan 04, 2016, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
^ I call this BS. Sorry mate, that's not entirely true there.
Im sorry, could you point out what you don't think is true and maybe i can help clear things up for you? There are too many factors in my post for me to guess which parts you think are not true. Let me know and ill offer any explanation. Also, how long have you had your X-Maxx for? Welcome to the Owners Thread
Old Jan 04, 2016, 11:20 PM
Hemi pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
493 Posts
Not sure why not to run more than 30C rating, still same voltage. I find that higher C rating (60-120) lipos run cooler and more efficient with my high performance planes than a low 20C for example.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
2,955 Posts
[QUOTE=InfraMan;33631528]I had a lengthy conversation with Traxxas today.

Thus far Traxxas has shipped at least 2,000+ X-Maxx's ( it should also be noted that the X-Maxx is the most pre-ordered RC ever in Traxxas company history)

Traxxas told me 0.5% (10 trucks out of 2,000+) of the trucks they shipped have had ESC issues and its all Battery related. They inspected the faulty parts that were returned to them and determined that the batteries used for the X-Maxx were the wrong batteries. The Traxxas tech told me that this truck was specifically designed to run with Traxxas Batteries only. Please keep in mind that this was not a tactic he used to lure me into buying Traxxas Batteries. The guy made perfect sense to me.

I started to do some research last night and determined a couple things. Companies like SPC, Kershaw & a majority of the RC battery companies (which are most likely run out of someones garage or a small shop) all use the same various suppliers in Shenzhen China. RC batteries are sold in bulk 2 different ways, Certified and Uncertified. For Example, I can buy uncertified RC batteries for maybe around 5 to 6 bucks each pending on the mAh capacity. Or I can buy Certified RC batteries for 10 dollars. The difference is the quality control, not regulatory establishment ( << Important to note that). None of these RC battery companies use in house Chemists or electrical engineers to develop their batteries, they buy them in bulk (AKA MOQ) and rebrand it their own. Just to give you an idea, it would probably cost a company a half million dollars just in R&D to develop their own battery chemistry from scratch.

Traxxas on the other hand actually employees in-house Battery chemist & Engineers, they have two locations for their R&D, facilities, Texas & Japan (where most battery chemistry is developed) They are very specific as to how they design these batteries. The batteries are very software driven with this ID technology they are using, they are meant to be used with these 100 Watt Traxxas ID Chargers which were specifically designed to take the guessing game out of charging and it allows the firmware and the balance plug to do all the work for you.

To sum things up, Traxxas highly recommends a couple things, use their batteries for your X-Maxx, try not to run the X-Maxx longer then 30 mins, Unplug Batteries from the Truck for 5 mins after 30 mins of use, donít use high discharge batteries higher then 30C. You can however use any size mAh battery, mAh is only the capacity of the battery and will not effect the performance.batteries

I'm sorry I'm not attacking you but it sounds like Traxxas is full of s**t. You can use any brand batteries with any other brand of rc with no issues. That's just an easy way for traxxas to get out of the liability of their ESCs catching fire.

Of course traxxas recommends their 75$ 25c junk batteries.

The longer I stay in the hobby the more I realize why traxxas has such a tarnished rep
ApexpredatorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpredatorGT
Old Jan 05, 2016, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by Azwethinkweiz
can cut it
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Dec 2014
40 Posts
The failure rate seems insignificant at this point and Traxxas will no doubt get it sorted out imo.....

But

IIRC at least 2 of the guys on the Traxxas forums were in fact using Traxxas brand batteries....still went up in smoke and flames.

Something about this "i talked to traxxas" story doesnt add up imo. Of course, i dont own an x maxx so i wont clog up the thread any more than this. Im holding out for a gasser version... though i wont hold my breath.
Azwethinkweiz is online now Find More Posts by Azwethinkweiz
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry I'm not attacking you but it sounds like Traxxas is full of s**t. You can use any brand batteries with any other brand of rc with no issues. That's just an easy way for traxxas to get out of the liability of their ESCs catching fire.

Of course traxxas recommends their 75$ 25c junk batteries.

The longer I stay in the hobby the more I realize why traxxas has such a tarnished rep
Im the new guy so all I can do is take Traxxas for their word. I wish I had more experience with all this but I don't and as a consumer I would hope I could rely on what their telling me. What part of what I wrote is misinformation? So I can research it. I wanna learn as much as i can.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by IllusionX
Buggy in style
Canada, QC, Brossard
Joined May 2015
1,037 Posts
Just like this.. 3 things
1) batteries are not all made from the same factory. SPC and smc are not junk. They have high QC standards and people stand by them.
2) traxxas batteries can charged with any lipo chargers. It's not rocket science, there are no special algorithm for charging. Do get a good charger.
3)C rating defines the discharge rate. No it won't discharge faster, or give too much current to your electronics. Electronics will take what it needs, so if your battery is not able to supply, it will puff, burst into flame or lifespan will be shorten. So why limit yourself with small discharge rate batteries?
IllusionX is online now Find More Posts by IllusionX
Old Jan 05, 2016, 07:59 AM
Hemi pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
493 Posts
Yep I can agree with everything he's said above. That's with around my 8 years of experience using lipos have found to be true, just from trial and error.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2,955 Posts
I haven't had a traxxas truck or car in a while and when I had my slash I used a 2s battery so I wasn't near the limit. But I had the traxxas spartan boat that came with two traxxas 3s batteries (3s 25c 5000 mah) and those batteries would get HOT and swollen after a run. I went over to a cheap zippy 35c battery and they would stay nice and cool. If anything using those traxxas junk rip off batteries is more of a risk than using cheap hobby king batteries.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 01:48 PM
Joined Dec 2015
11 Posts
You have to reread what i wrote:

1) batteries are not all made from the same factory. SPC and smc are not junk. They have high QC standards and people stand by them.

I wrote "use the same various suppliers in Shenzhen China" Which is true, there are a few large battery factories that supply the RC batteries in China, thats fairly common information.

Also, there is no mention above about SPC being "Junk"

2) traxxas batteries can charged with any lipo chargers. It's not rocket science, there are no special algorithm for charging. Do get a good charger.

Of course it is science and chemistry and electrical engineering and programing and coding. And of course there is an algorithm and software and microprocessors that are factory specific. I mean there is a million things I could say about that statement but it would require a day of your time, lol

3)C rating defines the discharge rate. No it won't discharge faster, or give too much current to your electronics. Electronics will take what it needs, so if your battery is not able to supply, it will puff, burst into flame or lifespan will be shorten. So why limit yourself with small discharge rate batteries?

"Electronics will take what it needs" No they won't, they will take what they are designed to take, what they are programmed to take. Voltage Regulators, Power Supply Boards, electrical shut off switches. are all important components.

No offense but you need to reread what I wrote because none of what you wrote pertains to anything I wrote above. Nonetheless, it further makes me wanna believe what the Traxxas Tech was telling me all along.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 03:33 PM
Hemi pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
493 Posts
All this battery talk aside, inframan have you gotten a chance to drive the truck?
Old Jan 05, 2016, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2014
2,955 Posts
If you want to believe that the problems arise from not using traxxas brand batteries go ahead and spend 200$ on a set of junk batteries.