HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 05, 2015, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Discussion
Bridi Tercel ?

I had a kit of this years ago. I built fuselage but at that time servos that small were crazy priced. now way different story plus RX's. They had spot for finger to give hand lauch. anybody fly one of these I see them listed once in awhile. I had a few Bridi kits and iron wood quite heavy.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2015, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,222 Posts
I have Tercel plan's and a Bridi Kastaway kit.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Wind Shadow
East Coast
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
Built a Tercel years ago...all I remember was it was not very impressive....maybe with some of today's light weight equipment it would do better. Even in light condition slope soaring, it would be scratching at the bottom . Would build just about anything else. .....
Wind Shadow is offline Find More Posts by Wind Shadow
Old Oct 06, 2015, 09:01 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Tercel was designed a long time ago. Small wing and sure wing loading was not good at all. Gimic at time was Gernade launch they called it. Slot in fuse to get finger grip to throw bird. Top Flight had a better design called Wristocrat. About 10" bigger wing. DLG Gliders are off charts money wise. Yes vast improvement and state of art composites.
I had a couple small battery packs made for small gliders from cheap batteries packs. I was going to build a Mountain models DL-50.
Maybe improved Tercel with bigger wing/ much lighter gear would fair better.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,222 Posts
I also have 2 Wrist-O-Crat's and templates for making the chuck glider that came with the kit. It's a great flyer. I once sloped the berm on the shore of the big lake in Florida for 20min's I have that on video too. The Tercel has alot of fin under the tail and I've wondered if it could be DLGed.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2015, 02:54 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Kind of a shame most woodie small birds are gone from production. Small RC gear is easy to get and good priced. There are many composite small birds and some quite pricey. Guess I arrived to late to party.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Kai Thomsen
Joined May 2013
73 Posts
Hi, nice little bird. A friend of mine flies it since 20 years. Superb little thermiker.

Kai

http://www.vatertagsflieger.de/
Kai Thomsen is offline Find More Posts by Kai Thomsen
Old Oct 08, 2015, 09:56 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Thanks for sharing pictures. Guess I will keep eye out for a kit. Small simple hand lauch glider would be cool. No V-tail/ elevons etc.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by Sailhigh
High Lift Coefficient
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
2,017 Posts
They're good airplanes specially for slope. They penetrate high winds quite well given their weight. We used to roll them as though they had ailerons.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Oct 09, 2015, 03:40 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
I never heard much about Tercel. From posts here sounds like mostly good reviews. Some folks never like anything and happy to bash when given chance. If I find a kit i'll suely copy it to have backup.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by Kai Thomsen
Joined May 2013
73 Posts
...ok, here is another one. This Tercel's home is Berlin. When weather conditions are good, take a look to the Teufelsberg.

Kai

http://www.vatertagsflieger.de/
Kai Thomsen is offline Find More Posts by Kai Thomsen
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:50 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Nice shot of Tercell doing its thing. With tiny servos available now and tiny Rx's shoukld be good to go. i have a few small battery packs made up by cheap batteries. . one cell up front / three behind for very narrow bodies. Plus a few 4.6g servos. I could use a small glider for local park and pratice.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Wind Shadow
East Coast
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
Bashing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I . Some folks never like anything and happy to bash when given chance. I
Well, since I am the only one who posted a not so glowing statement on the Tercel, I assume I am the "some folks" alluded to in the above comments...I don't recall having a history of "happy to bash" when I get a chance. Have been building and flying since 1976, mostly sailplanes of all types.
And most of them flew well...you asked for opinions, I gave you mine.
But, I do not appreciate the "happy to bash" when I get a chance statement. The Bridi Tercel did not impress me in any way...You did not ask if it was a good high wind slope soarer. Maybe it was, but I did not build it for that.
Remember, man hole covers will slope soar if the wind is high enough!
Wind Shadow
Wind Shadow is offline Find More Posts by Wind Shadow
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:44 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
My plan is to copy kit and use my own wood. Bridi kits i have had before wood was as heavy as any i have seen in wood models. Covering will be lite econocote types. Servos may options on small size/ plus rx's. I am looking for small practice plane. I don't need a hi-performace and this simple set up should be fine. No elevons etc.
Plus small wingspan might be able to use SAL or DLG ? Might even scale it up 10% on scarch build. I had another small glider that had fold out wing. Once launched outter panels would release to full span. Idea was more height. i do not recall name of glider.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:16 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
14,953 Posts
Member on forum sending me a copy of plans. Guess plans don't show tapered smaller ribs. No problem. Make a root rib and tip and carve the ones needed.