New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by Rudix
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Discussion
Taranis TX and F5J/ALES

Is anyone here using a Taranis radio on a F5J/ALES plane?

If yes would you please share your setup file? I have a F3J setup but it would take a lot of work, and knowledge of the Taranis system to optimize it for F5J/ALES!

I am looking for a basic setup for a 4 servo wing with camber (+ and -) as well as crow brakes. I would prefer the throttle on the throttle stick with flaps on LS or RS, camber and crow could be on any of the 3 position switches.

Thanks, would really appreciate it else I will waste a lot of flying time playing with the Taranis! I am reading the manual and playing but it is going slowly, why re-invent the wheel if it has been done....

Rudi
Rudix is offline Find More Posts by Rudix
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Joined Feb 2009
233 Posts
So you swallowed the Kool-Aid also, eh? :0)

I don't have my Taranis on a full house ship but I do have it on an Ava Pro. I only use the software FRSKY provides resident on the transmitter for telemetry purposes and it is fairly straight forward aided and abetted by tutorials on YouTube. Not so sure copying some else's programming is the best way to learn but it might help. Open TX University is a big help.

The comment I can lend is to consider placing the throttle on the momentary (spring loaded) switch for safety reasons. We have had too many issues with motor turn on when it is on the throttle even when using a back-up safety switch. On my transmitter I moved the momentary switch over to the left side where it is easily operated with the left hand. You can also place red shrink tubing over the switch to help in finding it when looking up into the sky. Good Luck!
Randy Reynolds is online now Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
Old Oct 02, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds View Post
So you swallowed the Kool-Aid also, eh? :0)

I don't have my Taranis on a full house ship but I do have it on an Ava Pro. I only use the software FRSKY provides resident on the transmitter for telemetry purposes and it is fairly straight forward aided and abetted by tutorials on YouTube. Not so sure copying some else's programming is the best way to learn but it might help. Open TX University is a big help.

The comment I can lend is to consider placing the throttle on the momentary (spring loaded) switch for safety reasons. We have had too many issues with motor turn on when it is on the throttle even when using a back-up safety switch. On my transmitter I moved the momentary switch over to the left side where it is easily operated with the left hand. You can also place red shrink tubing over the switch to help in finding it when looking up into the sky. Good Luck!
Yes, I sure swallowed the Kool-Aid!

The basic setup is easy, the issue comes in setting up the 4 servo wing for different modes and crow. Somehow it seemed easier on the Futaba... But I will persevere!

I do have the motor on a switch and I have an arming cycle you have to do first.

There are quite a few nice setups you can upload to your Taranis, but they are for F3J/F3F, I have not found a F5J version and the very sophisticated ESoar one I found I just cannot get to work with all the functions.

The Taranis was going to go into a new plane, the plane is ready but the radio not, so I think for now it is back to Futaba so that I can fly it this weekend!
Old Oct 02, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by avdflyer
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined Mar 2000
306 Posts
Mike S programmed this and it is great and very flexible!

http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/esoar/index.htm
avdflyer is offline Find More Posts by avdflyer
Old Oct 02, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdflyer View Post

Yes thanks, I did try his esoar but I have a problem getting a few of the options to work, I can only get 2 modes, power and landing to work and the "manual" flaps do not work either.

I did mail him just now explaining.
Old Oct 02, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
United States, NJ, Nutley
Joined Mar 2015
492 Posts
Rudi, I can help you but my setup is nothing like what you want.

Do you read the opentx forum? There are tons of setups there and even a repository. You'll find LOTS of radian pro taranis files there.

After you find one most similar I can help you here change it any way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudix View Post
Is anyone here using a Taranis radio on a F5J/ALES plane?

If yes would you please share your setup file? I have a F3J setup but it would take a lot of work, and knowledge of the Taranis system to optimize it for F5J/ALES!

I am looking for a basic setup for a 4 servo wing with camber (+ and -) as well as crow brakes. I would prefer the throttle on the throttle stick with flaps on LS or RS, camber and crow could be on any of the 3 position switches.

Thanks, would really appreciate it else I will waste a lot of flying time playing with the Taranis! I am reading the manual and playing but it is going slowly, why re-invent the wheel if it has been done....

Rudi
Bmwjoon is offline Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old Oct 02, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon View Post
Rudi, I can help you but my setup is nothing like what you want.

Do you read the opentx forum? There are tons of setups there and even a repository. You'll find LOTS of radian pro taranis files there.

After you find one most similar I can help you here change it any way you want.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do visit the opentx forum.

I now have a suspicion that there might be a problem with my radio, the throttle stick seems "soft" at full throttle and it moves back when you let it go, the calibrations does not "stick", it changes every time.

I had a reply from Mike (Esoar) and he suggested I check calibration, I am sure this is the problem causing me not being able to get into all modes as switching modes depends on throttle stick position.

I will open the TX and have a look, maybe I can fix it.

I have to say the bit about the Taranis that bothers me most is the quality of the sticks/pots, feels rough and "cheap" compared to my Futabas. At least one of the 3 position switches also seems less than perfect, sometimes you have to switch at a few times to get it to actually switch. I am planning on replacing them all with better quality switches. That is if I can sort the stick out, else it is "Cheers Taranis...."
Old Oct 02, 2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
United States, NJ, Nutley
Joined Mar 2015
492 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do visit the opentx forum.

I now have a suspicion that there might be a problem with my radio, the throttle stick seems "soft" at full throttle and it moves back when you let it go, the calibrations does not "stick", it changes every time.

I had a reply from Mike (Esoar) and he suggested I check calibration, I am sure this is the problem causing me not being able to get into all modes as switching modes depends on throttle stick position.

I will open the TX and have a look, maybe I can fix it.

I have to say the bit about the Taranis that bothers me most is the quality of the sticks/pots, feels rough and "cheap" compared to my Futabas. At least one of the 3 position switches also seems less than perfect, sometimes you have to switch at a few times to get it to actually switch. I am planning on replacing them all with better quality switches. That is if I can sort the stick out, else it is "Cheers Taranis...."
Rudi, like you said did you calibrate the Taranis? You have to do all the gimbals, pots and switches. Must do that first.

The sticks aren't great thus the upgrade on the X9E tray version. There are mods for the throttle stick including modifying the spring that creates resistance. Some guys have even swapped in Graupner gimbals. I don't think the X9E hall effect gimbals fit however.

Honestly that's too much work to swap that stuff out. You get used to it. I do wish the spring tension was higher on all gimbals but that's an easy mod.

Yes some guys have problems with switches and the sliders. I have a pretty early version of the Taranis and I have had no problems but I know guys with newer ones and they actually feel a little different.
Bmwjoon is offline Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old Oct 02, 2015, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon View Post
Rudi, like you said did you calibrate the Taranis? You have to do all the gimbals, pots and switches. Must do that first.

The sticks aren't great thus the upgrade on the X9E tray version. There are mods for the throttle stick including modifying the spring that creates resistance. Some guys have even swapped in Graupner gimbals. I don't think the X9E hall effect gimbals fit however.

Honestly that's too much work to swap that stuff out. You get used to it. I do wish the spring tension was higher on all gimbals but that's an easy mod.

Yes some guys have problems with switches and the sliders. I have a pretty early version of the Taranis and I have had no problems but I know guys with newer ones and they actually feel a little different.
Yes, I calibrated many times.

I managed to fix the throttle stick, there was a bit of molding flush left that I cleaned up, feels a lot better now, I also replaced 2 of the three position switches with better units from my stock.

I am still having no luck with the ESoar setup, only 2 modes. I think I will play with the Taranis later, for now back to the T14SG as I want t fly the new plane this weekend

Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 03, 2015, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Problem with the eSoar EEPE solved with the help of Mike! Thanks Mike!

Looks like I discovered a bug in OpenTx 1.1.3, the way it converted the EEPE that was created in version 1.0 was not perfect with some logical switches lost. I am glad that it is not just my stupidity

Anyway, Mike will be publishing something about the bug plus fix, for now I am happy the modified file he sent me is working.

I also received an EEPE from Kevin Caldwell, it seems to work very well, what I like about is that you retain proportional control of the throttle, it is not all or nothing like some of the setups.

Thanks Kevin!

Now I need to fly the setups and get used to them before starting to modify them...
Old Oct 03, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by kcaldwel
"Where are they?"
Joined Jan 2007
4,006 Posts
I do not have any documentation for my program at the moment. I guess I should write something down, at least so I don't have to figure it out all over again for each sailplane!

I have gone through and taken out my trim settings and flap sub-trim offsets, which I hadn't done before sending it to Rudi (sorry!).

Here are some basics for anyone who wants to try it. I am running OpenTx 2.1.3. OpenTX past 2.1 has a different battery alarm protocols, so my alarms won't work in older versions. There are possibly other changes that may not work with previous versions.

The channel outputs are:
Ch1: Left Aileron
Ch2: Right Aileron
Ch3: Elev
Ch4: Rudder
Ch5: Right Flap
Ch6: Left Flap
Ch7: Motor

There are switch warnings set that make sure the throttle is off, logging is off, dual rates are at low, etc. Logging starts with SG towards you.

The left slider is throttle and only active when SC is up/away. I only activate launch mode just before I pick up the glider to launch. I like to activate the left slider with the glider on the ground and my finger on the throttle slider holding it off. If the motor should unexpectedly start, then there would be no damage, the motor just stutters. It has never happened to me yet, but I like my fingers.

SC in the middle is normal flying mode, with speed, cruise and thermal flap modes selected by the SE 3-position switch (back is speed, middle cruise, forward thermal). The whole trailing edge trims for the camber setting of each mode.

SC down/towards you is landing mode, with the flaps on the left stick. The stick fully up is flap neutral. Towards you/down with the left stick is landing flap. The landing flaps are only active in landing mode. I do not adjust flaps on a slider during flight, but that could be added if needed.

There is "snap flap" - flap movement with elevator input - that is adjustable in each mode using GVAR 9, Snpflp.

Each mode has separate trims (they can of course be tied to the trims of other flight modes). Each mode can also have separate differential, aileron to rudder mix, etc. There is elevator compensation for landing flap set-up using Curve 2 (FlpElv). There is throttle to elevator set-up using Curve 1 (threle).

The program is set-up for flaps to be at mid travel between max up and down throws when the flap servos are at neutral. The flaps are then brought up to cruise position with the appropriate Rflp and Lflp sub-trims. I have set these sub-trims to zero, so the flap servos should go to neutral with the flaps half down.

The flap position for each of the 5 flight modes can be set using the GVAR2 "Offset" in each flight mode. That should also adjust the aileron position for each flight mode camber setting.

The program also calls an audio file ales30cd by moving SF towards you. It plays a 30 second countdown, a horn, 1 minute call-outs, increasing frequency call-outs as 10 minutes approaches, and a landing horn. I have put this file (20MB) at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc4cp2txah...s30cd.wav?dl=0

Volume is on S2. Vario and altitude call-out are on SB. I don't often use either, but occasionally it is nice to know how high the glider is. I just find the vario annoying, even though I have used them for thousands of hours in hang gliders and sailplanes.

I hope this might be of some use, but I know it is difficult to use programs without better documentation.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Oct 08, 2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: V2 - no-trim for ail-rud, ele-flp
Old Oct 04, 2015, 04:14 AM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Thanks for your help and all the info Kevin!

I think I now have it all sorted out, the plane is ready to fly just need to give it a once-over to ensure everything is tight/locked.

Once it is flying I can play with things like elevator trim compensation.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by mikeshellim
Joined Dec 2002
329 Posts
Quote:
Yes thanks, I did try his esoar but I have a problem getting a few of the options to work, I can only get 2 modes, power and landing to work and the "manual" flaps do not work either.

I did mail him just now explaining.
Hi Rudix and anyone else unable to select certain flight modes with E-SOAR.

The problem is caused by a bug first seen in OpenTx Companion 2.1.2 and also present in 2.1.3.

The issue and the (simple) workaround are describe in my blog post.

Thanks for your patience,
- Mike
mikeshellim is offline Find More Posts by mikeshellim
Old Oct 08, 2015, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by Rudix
Joined May 2013
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshellim View Post
Hi Rudix and anyone else unable to select certain flight modes with E-SOAR.

The problem is caused by a bug first seen in OpenTx Companion 2.1.2 and also present in 2.1.3.

The issue and the (simple) workaround are describe in my blog post.

Thanks for your patience,
- Mike
Thanks for sorting it out Mike, it is now working perfectly!

Regards,
Rudi
Old Nov 06, 2015, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by Black_Angel
Love To Fly
Joined Jan 2015
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdflyer View Post

I have it for both F3J and F5J, its great...I was quite new on Taranis when setting it up so i get some great support on email to on my setup. Very complete setup !!!

BA
Black_Angel is offline Find More Posts by Black_Angel