New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,647 Posts
Dean, have you found that the first maneuver in the new sequence requires a fair amount of power? We have had rain almost every weekend here so I havent had a.chance to try it. I remember that simular figure last year my 150 powered 3M was marginal.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2016, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
Dean, have you found that the first maneuver in the new sequence requires a fair amount of power? We have had rain almost every weekend here so I haven't had a.chance to try it. I remember that similar figure last year my 150 powered 3M was marginal.
Hi Shawn,

I have the DA 200 throttle ATV dialed down from 100% to 85%. In the cool weather we've been flying in it's actually been too much power. I'm throttling up through the 135 push and it still accelerates too much on the 45 upline.

The 45 upline doesn't require much power. The 1.5 snap takes some energy and your 150 may not recover as quickly.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:00 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
I'm installing the Nylon Snap-In Thrust Bearings from McMaster-Carr. Each elevator uses 5 of stock number 7817K53. They have an inside diameter of 4mm and an outside diameter of 5.2mm. I also ordered 4mm carbon tube from McMaster-Carr to use for the hinge pins.
Quote:
I added the nylon thrust bearings to the phenolic arms for the rudder. The rudder was even quicker than the elevator bearings. The 13/64" drill bit could reach two phenolic arms from each end. That only left the middle phenolic to drill by hand.

The difference with the bearings is that the rudder has a thicker phenolic arm at the top and bottom. The McMaster-Carr part number on the bearing for the thicker phenolic arm is 7817K54. The part number on the bearing for the normal thickness phenolic arm is 7817K53.

Steve "Richo" Richardson recently created this video on installing the Nylon Snap-In Thrust Bearings.

CARF Hinge Bushing (10 min 36 sec)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 07:58 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
I've had a rough several months with my engine. This was part of the post from January 14th.

Quote:
Today I drove down to DA. They put their test prop on it. They use an Air Models 3-blade 28 x 12. They expect to get 6,500 rpm. My engine was only turning it 5,800.

I was so embarrassed. The back left cylinder wasn't firing. I plugged a battery into my spare ignition and we tested with the spare ignition for the back cylinders. I could feel the difference immediately when we went to full throttle. We now had 6,600 rpm.

HUGE "Thanks" to the guys at DA that worked out in the parking lot to diagnose my issue. Sorry I hadn't checked something that simple.

I've got everything reinstalled in the plane and throttle endpoints adjusted. I'm heading to the flying field tomorrow to get in a couple practice flights before the contest this weekend.
Things worked good enough and I won that contest. The engine was burping on the upline a couple times each flight.

The next contest was the middle of February. The idle started getting lower on Friday before the contest. On the first flight of the contest on Saturday morning the engine quit in the middle of the first sequence. I landed fine and restarted the engine. I had to move the idle up several more clicks to keep the engine running.

I pulled the plane off the runway. A little while later I took the top of the cowl off, ran the engine briefly, and confirmed both ignitions were working and all four cylinders were firing. They were.

I was the CD for the February contest and didn't have time to troubleshoot engine problems.

I took the plane out last weekend, took the cowl off, had another person with DA 200 experience set the needles on both carbs, and set the idle ATV at whatever it needed to be for the correct idle.

I test flew the plane. It ran great and didn't burp a single time. It still burps on an upline occasionally but seems to be running great otherwise.

I have no idea what changed at the beginning of the February contest.
Last edited by Dean Bird; Mar 21, 2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 09:46 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
345 Posts
This weekend was the Cactus Classic. We had six pilots in the class.

- My flying buddy Craig Guest flying his recently acquired CARF Scheme Blue-White Extra 330SC. He had just over 20 flights on it before the contest.
- The life of the party, and one super smooth pilot, Randy Dreyer
- The winner of our "who sucks the least" Unknown party at the end of 2014, recently my neighbor, and talented pilot, Mike Bacosa
- Recent winner of the Tucson Shootout Intermediate class, Alex Dreiling
- Recent 4th place finish at the Tucson Shootout Advanced class, Kim Quenette

Good competition between friends is a whole lot of fun. We had a VERY competitive class. At the end of day one my scores of 1000, 1000, and 973 were only good enough for 2nd place.

Name: CC - day 1.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 573.2 KB
Description:

As usual the Unknown was the big difference. I zeroed the spin that was our very first maneuver. I know I struggle with spins because I just don't have the patience. That is exaggerated in the Unknown when your pulse is magnified even more. The pilots in our class were so good that I think that was the only zero in the Unknown for six pilots. It did place me last in the Unknown round.

I won the two afternoon Known sequences on Sunday. I was very happy to finish in 3rd place among these six pilots after finishing last in the Unknown round.

Name: 2016-03 Cactus Classic.JPG
Views: 4
Size: 169.3 KB
Description:

The competition was so close that for all the counted sequences for six pilots (30 sequences total) only my Unknown round and one pilot's Known sequence of 898.9 were below 900. All of the other 28 counted sequences were above 900. Great stuff guys!!!!

Name: CC - day 2.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 669.6 KB
Description:

One of the best times from this contest was Craig Guest's first Unknown with his new Extra 330SC. His score was 994.8 for that round. He was just a point on one maneuver from winning the Unknown round with his new plane with less than 30 flights. When he landed he told me, "Man. This plane snaps so nice. I just hit both 1/2 snaps and the 3/4 snap." He just experienced the aileron authority of this plane and how the snap stops the instant the sticks are back to center. Congrats on your new plane Craig!! It is a blast to fly!!!!