HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
6,125 Posts
Actually I think its 5 people killed in US since 9/11 2001... You notice that almost all the reports of RC incursions are drones/quads? How many times have you heard news report of a FW Su35 or other plane stray into a flight path of plane or airport or building? I can think of only one- when an RC jet that 'looked like an F4' missed a civilian jetliner near Atlanta a few years back, without exception every other report has been a quad. The number of incidents of powerful lasers being pointed at planes is astonishing- laser strikes for first 300 days of 2015

The FAA is reporting a record number of laser strikes on aircraft for 2015. From the article: "The Federal Aviation Administration recorded 5,352 laser strikes through Oct. 16, up from 2,837 for all of 2010. ... Some airports have reported more than 100 laser strikes this year: Los Angeles had 197; Phoenix had 183; Houston had 151; Las Vegas had 132, and Dallas-Fort Worth had 115. On July 15, during a 90-minute period, 11 airliners and one military aircraft reported laser strikes near New York City-area airports. Those incidents remain under investigation by the FAA, FBI and New Jersey state police."

Do you hear a call to ban or regulate lasers? No. Last weekend in Chicago alone 6 people were shot to death, and 23 wounded

Six people were killed and at least 23 others were wounded in shootings over the weekend as Chicago closed out its most violent January in at least 16 years.

Should we ban gun sales? No- they say we need more guns to make us safer! I may be wrong on this but I get the sense in UK, OZ and maybe Canada its normal, or used to be! to go to a park and fly an RC plane? I see nothing wrong with Locharrow flying a plane in a park with few to nil people- he was more likely to be attacked and bitten by those dogs than his plane causing damage or injury to the dogs! all the power to you Loch fly your Su35 where ever you feel its safe

Its like that with most everything here in the States- we over react to everything in absolutely idiot fashion- TSA bans >3oz of water on board, but your can bring 15 cigarette lighters and 10 match books and small aerosol cans-instant flame thrower!! Apparently flame throwers are not considered dangerous or even a threat to air safety but 3.2oz of water is!! our Govt is so concerned with our safety the FAA is regulating our hobby, way over kill IMO- CMM cant even fly at his official field!! yet innocent civilians are being slaughtered in schools, businesses and our streets 24 hours a day and we do nothing to stop it!! Go figure...lets concentrate our efforts and resources on RC flying machines, thats the real threat to Americans...

In other news I was in watching news and working on MiGRaptors PAKFA main gear doors, Trouble Maker just came into the house from my 'shop' ie where I run my business, and conduct my airplane repairs and storage first words were "Dad your plane broke" ITTD- "WHAT PLANE!!!?" TM- 'your plane' ! I had my grey camo Su35 on its nose cone leaning against a box, TM was at my computer and backed the chair into 35, 35 tipped over and like dominoes fell down and knocked over a HK MiG15 Damage report: Su35 has dings in L wing LE, and vert stabs seem to have way too much free play! MiG15 the tail broke where it meets vert stab, easy repairs but still bites...

I ran my Su35 thru a quick prefilght test yesterday on my street, the Robart tires I installed are a little wider than stock, I need to add washers to axel to get the rubber a mm from strut so it doesn't rub, another trip to the hardware store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Pretty straight forward... Pete you're in OZ, T3chDad is in the US where there is an active smear campaign against RC. There are regular articles generally exaggerated claims of yet another one of these dangerous drones flying into where ever to the point that town ships and cities are setting up no fly zones which actually has shut down active RC clubs.

So it may not be seen in OZ the same way but in the US someone likely encourage by the FAA, is trying to change the perception of RC being very ominous and dangerous....in spite that you have actual fatalities from common things as you said guns, cars etc.
As false perception gains momentum and you hit that ladies dog in the US, it would be just another nail in the coffin.
It's not that you're wrong, the chances of collision is low but we also think that of mid airs that do happen.
An example of how perception gets out of hand is there are actually very very few non combatant Americans that actually get killed by terrorists, last I heard 4 in the past 5 or something years, and yet they spend enough money that could stop world hunger for decades, to combat terrorism.

It's starts with the small accident and a few stupid moves and suddenly we're enemy no.1 . ...
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Yesterday at 01:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6,125 Posts
Cool- I'm on 89 hoping to hit that magic 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Wooo Hooo! Although...I almost lost her on 99

Short version...doing a low inverted pass over the runway...headwind, touchy elevator, and arrogant thumbs made her go nose straight up five feet off of the deck at almost stall speed. Full throttle, thrust vectoring, and staying calm allowed me to reach flight 100.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by locharrow
Joined Jul 2015
83 Posts
"Seriously!!??? No, you are definitely NOT right. You're flying in a public place...stupid and irresponsible to begin with...and you expect everyone around you to understand both the danger your aircraft poses and yet how fragile it is and then yield to you? Seriously!!???

The only place(s) on this planet where you would be in the right would be at a sanctioned/organized RC field. You are one of the people that are giving this hobby a bad name"

Your comments are slightly offensive and pompous in the extreme. I fly on a football field, not a public park. Dogs are not allowed on it because they sh#t on the playing surface whereas I don't. There is a perimeter path behind trees for public use but dogs off leash can't read the sign. Perhaps you have a dog that can in which case your dog would know and the problem would not arise.

The worst accident I saw was AT a designated flying field when a rubber necking motorist hit a parked car and nearly killed himself. Fortunately one of our members was a doctor which in all probability saved his life.
locharrow is offline Find More Posts by locharrow
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by T3chDad
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
4,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locharrow View Post
Your comments are slightly offensive and pompous in the extreme. I fly on a football field, not a public park. Dogs are not allowed on it because they sh#t on the playing surface whereas I don't. There is a perimeter path behind trees for public use but dogs off leash can't read the sign. Perhaps you have a dog that can in which case your dog would know and the problem would not arise.

The worst accident I saw was AT a designated flying field when a rubber necking motorist hit a parked car and nearly killed himself. Fortunately one of our members was a doctor which in all probability saved his life.
Rationalize all you want, it doesn't change the fact that flying in a public area without any restrictions or priorities as to who can be there and who has the right-of-way is stupid...even for the simple safety risk of the well-being of our Flankers. You statements actually support why you shouldn't be doing what your doing because of ignorant and inconsiderate dog owners and other persons that you have no control over. Go ahead and keep and flying in public areas...that's your prerogative. I sincerely hope that we don't have to endure another whining post about something bad happening to your Flanker, because no Flanker deserves to be harmed for any reason, just like a poor dog doesn't deserve to be hurt because of it's foolish owner.

I wish you luck as I truly do hope that you don't have any future difficulty and damage to your Flanker harmed under any circumstances. I hate the OT crap in this thread and I'm sorry to have contributed to it. I am obviously not going to change your mind, so I'll let it go. Happy flying!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Projects...
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by locharrow
Joined Jul 2015
83 Posts
" because no Flanker deserves to be harmed for any reason"

That quote in itself sets the relevance and value of your opinion !!!!!
locharrow is offline Find More Posts by locharrow
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
8,531 Posts
Take it offline. Fred already declared OT and to move on.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6,125 Posts
CMM & maybe Fred you're back in the air!!

AMA and FAA Reach an Agreement: DC SFRA Back Open to Model Aircraft

Dear members,

We are pleased to announce that AMA members in the Washington, D.C. metro area can resume model aircraft activities inside the D.C. Special Flights Rule Area (SFRA). After weeks of working closely with the FAA to find a resolution, the 14 AMA-charted clubs in the DC metro area can now return to safe operations starting on February 10.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-OPEN-2016.pdf