New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
6,607 Posts
Discussion
vario: what for?

those who own a vario: can you tell what you get from it?
what is the reason you own it, how you use it?
am asking because with it i have been able to pinpoint raising air.
my idea was to detect thermals by hearing tones that tell when the plane climbs, and it works.
but there is more...
please only polite, positive comments answering my questions.
i started a thread about varios before, but was more about equipment used and not specific about how it is being used:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2334347
i hope this forum is the 1 where i will get more responses.
regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 22, 2016 at 11:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
17,087 Posts
So far I mostly use it when flying XC to evaluate if the model is in good air or bad air which is tough to do optically when covering ground and from a moving vehicle.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:35 AM
Joined Jul 2007
6,607 Posts
tones?

thank you for telling.

i guess you gets tones that tell you high pitch: going up, or low: going down?
or you also get figures?
if so, how can you read them and not losing view of the plane?
or you have some1 assisting you for that?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,821 Posts
I use the tones and on my Spektrum DX18 if i press the trainer button it will call out the altitude in feet.

It's cool and useful for teaching newbies to soaring how to visualize what a glider looks like when its climbing in a thermal.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
871 Posts
tones!
http://www.picolario.de/index.php/videodemos
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:46 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
17,087 Posts
I use the JR DMSS telemetry and it has you setup up to 4 distinct types of sounds. 3 indicate the strength of lift and one indicates strength of sink. I have it setup so that if the plane is sinking more than .7 meter per second that lets me know I'm either not flying very efficient or in sink. And then I have 3 tones for lif gaining >.5 meters a second > 1 meter per second and > 1.5 meter per second. This tells me the strength of the lift and helps to decide if I should circle and try to gain altitude or just fly efficiebt through it

I turn the vario on and off with a switch on the radio. And I have a switch to beep out tones if model is above 400, 600, or 800 meters.

I do occasionally glance at radio screen too but not to watch vario figures.

Ryan
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by jetmaven
Joined Oct 2004
1,128 Posts
It confirms what you're hopefully thinking about what your ship is doing . It's as much of a teaching / learning aid as its a competitive edge.
Believe me , those that fly with out one will be looking to see where you go if you have one .
I normally fly without it , I'm fortunate to fly in an area that's very well populated by soaring birds all year long . This time of the year in Florida we have not only our permanent population of Buzzards but the Woodstorks are here , they are soaring machines ! Eagles aren't rare here either .
Rising or descending vario tones are to me the only way to go .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Last edited by jetmaven; Jan 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Addl
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:51 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
17,087 Posts
Also At first I thought only having a handful of distinct vario thresholds would be a limitstion but in practice it makes it a little easier for me to determine what I need to know about the climb rate to make a decision. I have listened to other vario systems and currently like the discrete vario ranges for specific tones

Ryan
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
6,592 Posts
Here is a link to a wonderful article on Joe Wurts completing the still standing World record for a cross country flight. http://www.xcsoaring.com/tech.html

After reading this article I asked if he could have done it without the Vario and emphatically he said no. So I'd say in Cross Country tasks it's imperative to understand and use the device.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Joined Jun 2008
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
I use the tones and on my Spektrum DX18 if i press the trainer button it will call out the altitude in feet.

It's cool and useful for teaching newbies to soaring how to visualize what a glider looks like when its climbing in a thermal.
Do those tones come from signals from the Spektrum vario?

The reason I ask isn't laziness, it's lack of patience. I got a Spektrum vario about a month ago. The weather hasn't provided a window of opportunity since then. The only thing I've seen is what shows up on the TX screen. And no sounds. Guess moving the glider from above my head to below is insufficient. Having used a tone emitting vario once years back in a cross country flight (possibly the absolute most fun ever with a glider), my experience suggests the printing on the TX screen is in fact somewhat of a negative. Taking your eyes off a glider at altitude is not what sensible pilots want to do.

The info on the DX7 screen is quite useful for sure, but useful and dangerous isn't what I was hoping for. It's also been quite annoying to have searched Spektrum's information sources and found almost nothing.... nah, make that absolutely nothing.

And it's also educational to have searched for first hand accounts about using telemetry.
glidarflyar is offline Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by a1jrocket
Joined Jul 2009
70 Posts
I use mine, frsky, which uses tone or gives voice height to calibrate my mark 1 eyeball. I've been surprised a number of times when I thought I was in lift way out and turned it on and found I was coming down. I'm far from an accomplished glider guider so for me it's a very useful training tool. Just a side note while at Curtis's Helena contest he was using his phone as a timer. I found if you have Apple IOS there is a app called glider timer that is also a great training tool. You can set it for however long you want to fly then get a count down timer for landing. It all adds to the fun of hunting them sneaky thermals!
a1jrocket is offline Find More Posts by a1jrocket
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2007
6,607 Posts
waves-another kind of lift

i guess some of you use this when doing cross country:

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/07/weath...-breeze-front/

which brings the next question:
do you use these waves to achieve your goals?
how do you track them?
any data on width, length, height, whatever.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jan 22, 2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,821 Posts
Yes, there are two different tones that come from the vario, one indicates sink the other climb.

There's some weighting that can be done to make it more or less sensitive.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Miller
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,852 Posts
I rarely use a vario any more. I used one a lot a few years ago and it helped me better train my eye. Kind of seeing and hearing what was happening. Two senses are better than one. There was frequently a lag between what you saw and what you heard but after awhile you could see something happen and ask myself was a really seeing that and then get affirmation.

I remember one day while in a big patch of lift I went up wind until L was no longer in it by listening to the vario and then work back downwind to find the other extreme. I then ernt back upwind and through the lift again and heard the sink behind. Went to one side and still heard sink but not as bad as behind. This lift had to be 1/4 of a mile wide. Playing like this and training your eye a bit helped me learn a lot.
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:13 PM
Joined Jul 2007
6,607 Posts
"This lift had to be 1/4 of a mile wide".

but was it narrow along? like a wave perhaps?
and, was it stationary?
i ask, because i have found some lift that is like a band spread across the wind.
and that detected with the vario.