Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by sgomes
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,963 Posts
Discussion
Great glue from Hobbyking!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rge_100ml.html

I just gave this a shot on HK's epp Reaktor, and I was quite impressed! It isn't clear, but it is a contact type formula, similar to Welder, et.al. I disagree with the reviews that mention a long cure time; and, what I found most surprising is that you can mate the pieces immediately, and the cure rate is about the same - a BIG plus in my book.

AND, at $2.73 for a large tube from the U.S. West warehouse...well :-).

Anyway, I just thought I would pass this along.

Hope it helps.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2016, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by dermott
Joined Jan 2016
10 Posts
This is a great share, i searched a few times in the past with no foam glues available.

With postage being shamefully high in Europe for even small items, often i have made an order for bits n bobs from hobby shops other than HK, just so i get foam glue i need.

Note here it is UHU Por which wells crazily high 4.8 Euros ($5.27) for half HK tube 50ml (40g)
dermott is offline Find More Posts by dermott
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:30 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,963 Posts
I should have included narrative regarding cure rate.

When playing with scraps of epp, I found that a light smear on two surfaces, and then joining them after two minutes allows some time for fitment before the bond firms at around 5 mins. - much more forgiving than Welder, which bonds almost immediately.

And, as I say above, if one joins the surfaces right away, rather than waiting the two mins, the bond still firms up at around 5 mins.

As for those reviewers whose experiences showed a slow cure rate, I just wonder if they are using much more glue than is necessary. I know this is quite a common mistake made by users new to contact type products.

Steve
Old Jan 16, 2016, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by kyflyer67
Joined Jun 2015
21 Posts
And according to the link, "it's ok to use an umbrella while applying this glue"... So how could you go wrong!
kyflyer67 is offline Find More Posts by kyflyer67
Old Jan 16, 2016, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by kyflyer67
Joined Jun 2015
21 Posts
Oh, and also according to the link, the active chemical is "magic". I might have to order some of this.
kyflyer67 is offline Find More Posts by kyflyer67
Old Jan 17, 2016, 01:54 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,963 Posts
Well, I can now confirm that the "magic" works, with and without an" umbrella".
Old Jan 18, 2016, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by PaulB
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,606 Posts
I have been using this stuff for a couple of months….

Are you now telling me that I didn’t need to put my umbrella up every time?????

On a serious note, sticks pretty good, is very tacky out of the tube so the pieces stay together without clamping or pinning but I find it a bit difficult to spread thinly. Seems to be a bit thick out of the tube and due to how sticky it is I find that it lumps and ‘drags’ when I try to put it on thinly. Still has a place in the armoury and at that price…..

Paul
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jan 18, 2016, 05:10 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,963 Posts
Yeah, it is thick!!

Update!!

I am beginning to LOVE this stuff!! But, I have found some handling tips I would like to pass along. First, you need a can of Acetone (Home Depot), and if that is off-putting then use some other glue. Pour a couple of tablespoons of it into a small glass jar, or something you can steal from your wife's kitchen, and get a roll of paper towels. At the same time, grab a shot glass and a dozen wooden toothpicks. Fill the shot glass half way with acetone, and throw in the toothpicks to soak.

You will use that first container to always keep nearby a folded paper towel with a corner that has been dabbed in the acetone. This will be used not only for the constant need of cleaning off the tip of the tube and general work area cleanup, but also for cleaning off any glue that may ooze out of a glued joint.

Important note - after using the paper towel corner once, turn it over to the backside, and then to the inside folded corners; but, the point is only use each surface one time. The surface gets gummy with the mix of acetone and waste glue.

You will use the soaked toothpicks to cut through those pesky glue strings that always stick between the glue tube and glued surfaces - it slices through like a knife.

Acetone is amazing with this glue, and in my opinion trying to use this glue without it makes for a difficult build or repair - it simply makes the stuff useable.

Also, the curing time is completely determined by the amount of glue used. To give you some idea of the correct amount. My EPP testing pieces were 1 inch squares, and to join them together I squeezed out a bit, touched it to the middle of one square, began withdrawing the tube, and using a toothpick to slice through the column of glue leaving a ball about 1/8" in diameter; then rubbing the two pieces together for a few seconds and leaving them joined. After 5 mins the bond was good enough to carefully go on with the build, and after 10 mins the bond was nearly complete - certainly good enough to go fly.

So, what I have found is this glue is best used not as a contact type glue, but using the two surfaces to distribute it and then leaving them together to cure.

Sorry to yammer on, but I hope this is useful to you guys.

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2016, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by PaulB
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,606 Posts
Thanks for that Steve, good tips.

Now I know that acetone is a solvent for this stuff I may try to 'thin' some, maybe squeeze it into a syringe and mix. May make it easier to apply for certain applications and at that price i don't mind messing about a bit.....

Paul
Old Jan 19, 2016, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by PaulB
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,606 Posts
Edit:- Test FAILED........

Just spotted that my Acetone was on the bench as was the glue. Used Acetone to clean the nozzle and squeezed about 5 mls into a syringe. A few drops of Acetone and stirred both together. The glue was a bit thinner, easy to dispense from the syringe with no stringing, so far so good.

I now know that Acetone eats Depron, dohhhhhhhhhhhh, left with a sticky molten mess.

Paul
Old Jan 19, 2016, 06:56 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,963 Posts
Paul, I really like the idea of a syringe. It allows you to take the glue to areas inaccessible to the tube.

Steve