Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by Roddie
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Undercarriage doors

Hi Bruce, thanks for your comment, much appreciated. Love the pictures, its great to be able to things indoors especially when its below freezing outside. !!!! I don't know how you guys can survive, me I would be like an icicle and about as stiff !!!

The hinges I made out of right-angle Aluminum. Brought about a meter for a few dollars. I have finished the hinges for one rear nacelle, split the doors, ready for assembling and started the initial gluing. Will add a resin and cloth as additional support. (I have some very light weight cloth, so not much additional weight).

Photos show the progress

All the best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by RobMason
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Etowah
Joined Oct 2009
838 Posts
Roddie - mock up the nacelle with your retracts. Found my rear hinges interfered with the wheel when the doors closed and I had to move them forward some. Was a pain after gluing them.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by Roddie
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
UnderCarriage Doors

Thanks Rob for your warning, I will start that immediately. Had enough of rebuilding stuff.

I had just glued one door, photos show the progress

Will start on my undercarriage mock up, have most parts but not the machined components. I have ordered my wheels, they will arrive later this month. So I have borrowed a wheel (5.5 inch) to show how it fits.

Many thanks Rob great

All the best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Jan 15, 2016, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by grahamj4
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
Happy New Years all, looks like it's all coming together nicely Roddie and a good tip from Rob!

I've managed to get some building time just not on the mossie, but the Sukhois are coming up nicely.
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Jan 15, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by RobMason
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Etowah
Joined Oct 2009
838 Posts
Looks.good - the Williams Bros. wheels are the best fit. Haven't found any for mine yet (haven't looked too hard either) using some ESM aluminum ones.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason