Thank you.

G.
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by heliofarye
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
Gryphon,
Yes, I realized as batt are discharged and become soft over use the rpm will drop but, thank you for the guide to calculation. I was just looking at peak. Small prop sonic probable sounds cool. Full scale they are obnoxious.
However, anyone have practical experience with the 4 to 6S conversion?
And anyone have a copy of the instructions for the 32 BL 1010?

Thanks guys, I am late to the party, glad to see the thread is not totally dead.
Also, what's the current going price for a NIB and for a lightly used Scimitar? Local shop has one but still has the $350 tag on it. If I like the bird after first few flights will look for spares, Stuff happens<:-(
heliofarye is offline Find More Posts by heliofarye
Old Jan 23, 2016, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
615 Posts
I grab my second after they discontinued and it was $275 but I offer $225 cdn and they took it...

The first fail to pull out of a dive at max throttle this one now has JR servo.......so it won't happen again....
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
Dansy,
I ran across a few posts about the VT servo failures just scanning this thread. Based on that and your post you entered I searched "servo failed." Looks like I will probably change out the servos after a few non-max shakedown flights to be sure the plane and I can work together.

I am using the Scimitar as a refresher trainer I am hoping to fly a turbine Rookie this Spring and the Scimitar is very similar.

Thank you
Charles
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
615 Posts
I lost my first on the third flight....I was pulling very gently out of the full throttle dive.....to do low max speed pass over the runway wind was 30 km heading wind for the pass, and it didn't want to pull out.....the elevon servo (Both were strip the rest was fine).....the only one I crash in like 5 years....been flying for a long while.

It does need a hard surface thats fairly long for take off.....I don't even try on grass...
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
Dansy,
Thank you for the heads-up on how quick this can happen. I will buy or harvest some better servos before first flight. I have changed the wheels out for narrow much taller wheels. But this may answer why model was sold. We do not have any hard stand RC fields in my area.
Charles
Old Mar 13, 2016, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by RustySpork
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Jun 2011
681 Posts
I've been taking some of my wall models down and seeing what life remains. This one is still doing great, I swapped a parkzone extra prop (10.5x9) on and hooked it up on my wattmeter. 65amps, using 2x 1800 4s 65c batteries in parallel. So I'm gonna try it.

I don't have a thrust stand to compare stuff, and it's been awhile since I flew this one. I don't really have a way to know if the Extra prop makes a difference or not, but whatever. I'll just see how it does vertically.
RustySpork is offline Find More Posts by RustySpork
Old Mar 14, 2016, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
Just checking again,
Anyone have any experience with converting to 6S system?
Thank you
Charles
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
681 Posts
Just reasoning out here, I don't know for sure how this would work. I don't think the stock motor (1010 kv by the manual) will do 6s. If you were to, say, swap to an eflite rare bear motor (1200kv, for sure handles 6s on an 8x8 prop) you could probably do 6s with like a 9x6, 9x7, 8x8, etc. That's how I'd do it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
681 Posts
I just found one of those motors for $15 cheaper than normal, so I got one. I'll give it a shot and see what's what.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2006
130 Posts
Hey Rusty,
I could not even find the manual for the stock eflight motor to check max amps etc.
Please update me on any 6S info. I just do not want to buy 4S batt sets nothing else I have uses them. I can wedge a pair of series 3300 3S in by cutting a little of the cockpit/canopy floor and I use them on my Splendor and one at a time for a high wing thing.
PS splendor great acro plane but do not trust the BEC they crap out.
Charles
Old Mar 16, 2016, 07:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
681 Posts
I also have a splendor, I swapped the ESC in mine. I actually really like eflite ESCs, been using them for years trouble free.

I've never found detailed specs on eflite motors, from eflite. I've only ever found that data here, and never for that motor. I know some people in this thread have done 5s, but never 6. Maybe it could handle it but I would be skeptical. You would probably need to prop down some. Maybe like a 9x4 or 9x5, something like that.

The other motor I mentioned, the one from the rare bear. I'm not sure how it would do, so I bought one to try. It's a. 1200kv vs the 1010kv in the scimitar, and (on YouTube at least, and in the rcgroups thread) it will move that plane at around 150mph on 6s with the 8x8 prop. I think the scimitar is heavier, in fact I'm sure it is, but I'm not sure how that will affect it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
4,162 Posts
I wonder if anyone has measured the KV of the stock motor.
Just because it says 1010KV does not make it so.
Very often motors have higher KV than advertised.

-------
On more extreme end:
Medusa Based their KV while under the advertised AMP rating. So it was really loaded KV and not unloaded KV that we all discuss.
That fact was not mentioned anywhere.
So for example people would buy 2800KV, but what they were really getting was 3100+ KV range (which would load down to 2800KV under 50A-55A). Then they would have to run a smaller prop than planned since the AMPs were so much higher for their initially desired prop sizes.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
681 Posts
Maybe check around and see if others have tested other eflite/parkzone/etc. motors, see if they matched up or were close?

I took mine out for a spin today, good as ever. I realized why they didn't put a 10.5 X 9 prop on, because if you don't land completely flat you'll chunk the prop. Apparently the half inch makes clearance.