HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2006, 10:44 PM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Build Log
Keith Story's Gullwing Biplane - Duranita!!

My first biplane build. I picked this model because there are no cabane or interplane struts and no wires! This is from a plan I got from feebay distributed by Model Airplane News. The duranita is a free-flight gull-wing bipe with a wingspan of about 34 inches. Original motor was a small diesel. Will be using electrics, of course! First challenge: Free-flight models don't have movable control surfaces. Pics of the original stab and fin and my revised stab and fin. Also, this will be my first stab with ribs and an airfoil. I will be using a carbon fiber rod for a spar in the stab, instead of the hardwood.
romranger is offline Find More Posts by romranger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
here's a link to an excellent site. it's mostly about "how to".
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2006, 01:18 PM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Thanks, Bill. Great stuff there! Will be laying out "tail feathers" tonite!!
Old May 11, 2006, 07:24 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Had to redraw the fin and rudder to give more rudder area. This is a three channel model and I need more rudder authority. I am trying to hold the outlines to the original design. The top quarter of the fin is now rudder and increased the width past the fuse line
Old May 11, 2006, 09:24 AM
Speed Freak
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Nov 2005
1,311 Posts
That's going to be one sweet plane! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it fly!

Keep up the great work romranger!

~Kevin
Spid is offline Find More Posts by Spid
Old May 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Tail feathers are complete. Spent a lot of time trying to get enough rudder area and movement and still look like the original non-movable fin. Used a carbon fiber rod for a spar instead of a hardwood stick Will tackle the fuse next. Planning on extending the nose two inches for battery clearance as well as help with balance. No specs available on the little diesel engine, but I am sure it was heavier than the Eflite Park 400 I plan to use. Will step down balsa sizes from 3/32in sheet to 1/16in sheet and 1/4in sq fuse reinforcement to 3/16 sq.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Fuse halves are cut and bracing laid out. I used 1/32in balsa which will be reinforced with 3/16in sq. Trained feline acts as paperweight to keep balsa flat (heh, heh). The white-looking material running alongside the braces is white-out. I had to "adjust" my brace lines a few times before gluing to get them to match, left half to right half. All built parts, including tailfeathers, are at 2.6oz so far.
Last edited by romranger; May 14, 2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 02:27 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
What is it about cats???

Almost the entire bench (4' x 8') is clear, yet they have to lay down on the plan - usually when I need to work over it or at least see it.

Looks like a nice plane and a nice build/conversion. How's it coming?
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old May 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Thanks. It's coming along - I should frame up the fuse today which will let me start "trial balancing" the components. This was exactly the project I wanted, it gives me some experience with bipes without all the struts and wires.
Old May 17, 2006, 08:21 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
390 Posts
Do you have a photo or link to a finished version of the model you're modifying?
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old May 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
No, sorry. I did get construction notes from an old magazine along with the plans on feebay. I've filed them someplace and can't find them (goes along with being a almost golden-ager, I guess!) The top wing is 36in span in a gullwing configuration. The bottom wing is shorter and has only a "V" dihedral. According to the construction notes, Keith Story added the bottom wing to help carry the additional weight of the small diesel engine. I've started over on the fuse because the 1/32in balsa was just too flimsy even with the bracing. Now using 1/16in sheet braced by 3/16in sq sticks and made the lightening cutouts per plans. I did save almost 3/4oz! Bottom wing is rubberbanded on. Top wing has a single rubberband post forward on the centerline and a conventional dowel rubberband post aft. Not too sure I like only three points of connection on the top wing - may modify that! Landing gear was set for a very small prop, so will probably rework that as well for the eflite park 400 outrunner 10x7 prop. Taildragger - of course!
Old May 23, 2006, 05:59 AM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Working on framing up the fuse.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:35 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,273 Posts
Thought I'd resurect this thread, 2 reasons. I want to see the plane done, and 2, I had 2 cats EXACTLY like those 2 pictured when I was a kid. Smokey and Boots.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:02 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
355 Posts
Time to re-resurrect this thread.
I don't know why my searches didn't find RomRanger's build thread when I was searching for info on this plane.
I see RR was noodling over the same thing challenge I am - how to get sufficient rudder area. It is an interesting build as the length of the fuse gets in the way with keeping the original lines and having a useful rudder. Ailerons and elevator only???

Likewise, getting any power plant to fit up in the schnoz is a challenge. The orginal McCoy Duraglow diesel 049 was radial mount, so you can simple bolt onto the firewall. I believe the original design was an absolute flyweight - maybe not too durable.

If anyone is in touch with RomRanger in Euclid Ohio please let him know I am interested in seeing how his Duranita turned out.
Here's my build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post30199253

Best,
Poughkeepsie Pete
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory