Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:07 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
522 Posts
Discussion
Respect F5J

Hi there

Does anyone know anything about this Respect F5J? How does it fly, where to get it, etc.

I found a pic in a hungarian forum:
http://rcpilot.hu/users/194/8884/b_2...0906256026.jpg

Thanks!
Stefan
sfluck is online now Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:23 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,393 Posts
Wow!! Looks cool!! Any specs??
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:23 PM
HomoDilatus
Joined Jan 2007
3,764 Posts
I'm not sure the Respect is commercially available. It seems to be designed for the F5J-400 series, with a few of them out there. They have been doing well in competitions. You might try contacting Varicopax who flies one of them:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post26871632

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=f5j&page=3

He gave the designer's e-mail in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=33

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:38 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Hi,

Sorry i was in a hospital. Respest lives .
Designers just created a facebook page about it and webpage will be updated soon. You can find contacts, but it only contains the last year competition results yet.

Best Regards

Tamas

www.respect-soaring.com

facebook: RespectSoaring
Varicopax is offline Find More Posts by Varicopax
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:33 PM
Hungary,Budapest
Joined Feb 2008
6 Posts
Hello !

The plane has evolved in recent times.
Endre is offline Find More Posts by Endre
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:22 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,393 Posts
Wow!!! Looks super good ! Wingspan? Weight? Wing area??
LOVE the colors! ;-)
Me want one!
Just guesstimating by the pics,, around 2.5m wingspan??
Also just guesstimating from pics : about 16:1 aspect ratio ??
Airfoil???
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 26, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:48 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Few pics and info:

Wingspan 2.5m
Wingarea 41dm2
Approx ready to fly weight ~750g depending on eqiupment..
Airfoil special, designer will share info about it.

Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
360 Posts
Respect

Beautiful looking machine! What is the power system? Prop appears to be a small diameter, 10 inches maybe? Are you are running a small diameter outrunner of some type? So AUW is about 26 ounces? 3 piece wing?

Thanks!

Dave R.
dreisinger is online now Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:05 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Hi,

New drivechain options available on facebook page. Typcal props 10x6 or 9x6. Three piece wing.

Here is the maiden for the first prototype:

Respect M F5J - Hand launching the prototype (0 min 39 sec)
Old Mar 06, 2014, 01:13 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,393 Posts
Designer has told me this plane will be available to us in the states later this year,,,,, for me will be a decision between this and the Zensation :-)
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:51 PM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Hi,

I just recently ordered my for this year F5J-400 competition season. More than 6-7 will compete in this season.
Few picture about building process.

BR
Tamas
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:58 PM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Tomorrow, I am invited for the first training session. At Csepel island south from Budapest. 2012 champion Krisztian Bodnar will fly his new Respect. I am also wanted to try out his setting and fly a few starts.

Here is more pictures about the first prototype.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
What an amazing plane! Anxiously awaiting pricing and availability? Both "Airman74" and I have been discussing your efforts in great detail. This plane fits both our styles very well. Looking forward to it's arrival!
german88 is offline Find More Posts by german88
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:40 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,393 Posts
Yes! We Have!! LOVE those 90 deg flaps,, this plane reminds me of a mini supra,, looks super good!! We'll be waiting
For various flying field reasons a plane of this size is PERFECT for me!! It will between this or the Zensation .
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:49 AM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Respect M F5J/ALES

Hi All,

Let me introduce myself first, I am the designer of Respect M. Sorry for jumping in the discussion so late, but we are really busy to get things moving. By reading the thread through I have noticed that it might worth to summarize the details of the plane and give you some context about the development goals and the story.

We began to work on this model just after the Respect Soaring Team has formed in 2012. At that time one of our members had been a well respected small scale F5J model manufacturer in Hungary who produced vacuum-bagged models based on Dr. Drela’s concepts. Since the team has been founded with the ambition of creating competition model designs that delivers the edge of performance and technology, it was evident for us to start with the category where we have great amount of accumulated experience.

As we have started our design from ground up it was the first thing to determine what would be the most important characteristics that we expect from a top performer F5J-outrunner model. It quickly turned out that we have not been happy about the contemporary trend that only focuses on the low sink rate as we both prefer flying in a more assertive style during the competitions by utilizing L/D, ease of circling and good handling qualities to get most out of low starts. Since low start height proved to be great competitive advantage during the rounds and it became an effective tool to win competitions.

In our view the above flying style would benefit from the below characteristics:

1. Good L/D
2. Low sink-rate
3. Agility
4. Good handling
5. Wide flight envelope

The above list became our design priorities in the order that you can find in the list. Our top priority was the great L/D, which shows good opportunities when you have low sinking speed capability on the list as well. Mainly because high glide ratio together with the wide flight envelope would greatly enhance the sink-rate, which very strongly correlates to the actual L/D in the given flight condition. From practical viewpoint we envisaged a plane that can cover extreme amount of ground to find thermals and has enhanced agility combined with forgiveness to efficiently utilize the lightest lift present.

After the long and busy design period the above requirements have been translated to the following plane specifications:

- Wingspan of 2.5 meters
- Wing area of 40.68 dm2
- Aspect ratio: 15.36
- Flap to aileron length ratio of 1.40385
- Very elaborate root to tip airfoil transition
- Complex geometric washout pattern
- AUW: 700 – 770 g

The final design turned out to be a fairly complex one compared to other models on the market. Most of the complexities are in the wing of which the plan-form has been generated by a purpose built mathematical model of high-level fluid dynamics. This piece of software has determined the optimal wing shape taking lift distribution, hinge-line location, axle of washout and local down-wash into consideration to find the best possible wing shape that minimizes "tipstall" tendencies. Initially we intended to use a DLG airfoil in the wing, but later it turned out that we can squeeze a bit more performance out of the plane if we modify the foil to fit better to our wing loading. I think the model is very light, but still the wing loading is more than in an average DLG. Hence we have chosen the route of optimization.

Currently we are in the late stage of prototype flight testing as nearly all of the team members are having their model right now. Initially we have considered the design to be a small batch competition model, but contrary to our expectations we are very happy to see that there is significant interest out there regarding our high performance models.

In the light of the new situation we have re-considered the previous approach and decided to make this model available to the wider public. But please keep it in mind that scaling up the production magnitude is not especially an easy task. Currently we are working on to complete the trial production run. I will keep you posted here and on our Facebook site as well.

If you have any questions you can email to us.
Hzsiraf is offline Find More Posts by Hzsiraf
Last edited by Hzsiraf; Mar 18, 2014 at 02:04 PM.