HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:26 AM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,729 Posts
Discussion
Radio Option for DLG -- FrSky Taranis

Hello to all,
I just received a FrSky Taranis. I got this to evaluate for DLG use and possibly modify as it is open source. It has a lot of features, including audio output.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html

I wanted to see if it would work for DLG, so I played around for a hour or so while watching TV. It has a very convenient servo monitor screen to see what's happening with the mixers. In any event after a messing about I fairly easily came up with the following DLG setup:
6 Flight modes : Pitchup, Launch, cruise, distance, thermal, home, land. All modes have unique trim and camber settings. The flight mode names show up on the home screen. It was easy to move the spring loaded switch from right to left as the switches are on plugs. So the spring loaded switch is used for pitchup (initial launch). The pitchup switch overrides all other settings.
When the spring loaded switch is released and the 3 position switch is in the default position there is launch (climb) trim.
Moving the mode switch to center enables another 3 position switch that selects between cruise, distance and thermal. The throttle trimmer is used in all flight modes to adjust the camber. The nominal camber for each flight mode is settable via a screen, and trimmable with the throttle trim. It looks fairly easy to add a slider to any/all of the flight modes to have super-camber as well.
If the flight mode switch is moved to the third position a mode called home is selected, i.e. the get home from downwind setting. When and only when the home mode is selected if the throttle is pulled below 90% (selectable), the land mode is entered and the flaperon/brakes are moved by the throttle stick using an adjustable curve.
I don't have flap to elevator trim setup yet, but based on the number of free mixers it will likely be trivial.
Note that the throttle stick only does anything when the flight mode is set to home, so to quickly relaunch one need only flick the mode switch back down and pull the pitchup spring loaded switch.
During the climb phase you can pre-select whether the main flight mode goes directly to cruise, distance or thermal, so one switch mode change is all that's needed at the top of the climb.
What I have effectively duplicated is the setup in my XG11. The difference between the two is that the XG11 setup is easier to do as it already kinda understands flaperons and camber and such. The Taranis is a blank slate in that you have to setup all the mixes and switches which is a little more work. On the plus side you can do clever things like using the the throttle trim for camber trim, something you can't do on the XG11.
I'm impressed with the features so far and the price is really attractive and the receivers are inexpensive. My plan is to put this in a backup airplane and see what happens.
The software setups can be moved back and forth from a PC, so if anyone wants my setup I'm happy to provide.

More details later....

mickey
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:38 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Can you post your file. I too just received yesterday a Taranis.

I would like to have it speak my flight modes so I know when I change, it really has changed.

I am also looking to put, on a switch, the ability for backfround sound file for a standard 10 min. window timer.

Maybe I will have time over the weekend after I update the firmware so the grey bar is gone.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,729 Posts
This is the setup so far: (this is the companion9x (1.3.6) file)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...document2.eepe
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I would like to have it speak my flight modes so I know when I change, it really has changed.

I am also looking to put, on a switch, the ability for backfround sound file for a standard 10 min. window timer.

Frank
Looks like that these are both easy to do with the custom functions, then you can trigger them with a custom switch setting.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:07 AM
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
184 Posts
Awesome! I want to pull the trigger on one.
barrosinc is offline Find More Posts by barrosinc
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:10 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,922 Posts
Excellent Mickey. I have one as well but have not started fiddling. You probably saved me alot of work. The Turnigy 9XR that I use to fly my helis will likely be displaced by this radio...

btw thanks for getting me hooked on helis again. My wallet will never be the same. :O
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Excellent Mickey. I have one as well but have not started fiddling. You probably saved me alot of work. The Turnigy 9XR that I use to fly my helis will likely be displaced by this radio...
:O
This feels a lot better and the switches are far more reachable than the 9xr. Except for the scroll wheel it's pretty close to identical to a 9303.

Quote:
btw thanks for getting me hooked on helis again. My wallet will never be the same. :O
Welcome to the dark side. The MCPX-BL is still the bomb for practice.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrosinc View Post
Awesome! I want to pull the trigger on one.
The first batch sold out in 4 minutes. If you want one, I suggest getting on the wait list at Aloft Hobbies.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Quote:

As long as you do not stop makeing planes, then it is OK.

I will drool over your planes and for a short while, you can drool over my transmitter.

I also got the high precision vario. I am not sure if you know Shane Spickler but he use to have a comment when you were in lift . I think it was something like ,"How you do'in over there? Purdy good". I was thinking of having that spoken when I am in strong lift for the vario instead of the beeps. Will be pretty funny.

Frank
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:23 PM
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
184 Posts
Frank, did you buy the FVAS-02? Have you tried it?
barrosinc is offline Find More Posts by barrosinc
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:20 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I have the High precision vario (FVAS-02H) . It came in yesterday so I have not had a chance to try it.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:42 AM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
537 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I thought, "of course the Taranis will work great for DLG, I've been using openTX on my 9x radio for the past two seasons, and its worked great!"

There are more features on the Taranis that will work better for DLG as well. I'm waiting until after this flying season (around christmas time) to get me a Taranis, I'll finish the season with my 9x. By that time I'm hoping there will be a number of templates and programs to choose from for setting up DLGs.

Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:49 AM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
766 Posts
Can you easily switch the transmitter to Mode 1. The Aloft specs say selectable mode(1,2,3,4) but how hard is it to change the throttle from left to right stick?

Frank
VintageFan is online now Find More Posts by VintageFan
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFan View Post
Can you easily switch the transmitter to Mode 1. The Aloft specs say selectable mode(1,2,3,4) but how hard is it to change the throttle from left to right stick?

Frank
Starting at 2:15... piece o' cake

Inside the FrSky Taranis -- a First look (7 min 27 sec)
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
DLG program

I have been working on converting my programs to Taranis. Here is a zip file. I hope it works. It has basic flaps/aileron and rudder/aileron mix.

Frank from NY, I'd like to know what receivers you're using.

Thanks,
Don
Donw77 is offline Find More Posts by Donw77