HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2015, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2009
212 Posts
hello guys,
afak, pl8 balancing current is 1A, but i read somewhere it turns into 3A thanks to the "node charging" feature. could someone explain it, please?
is it true that only pl8 has this feature and pl8-duo doesn't?
i also wonder if a bigger balancing current would necessarily mean a smaller balancing time.
thanks.
Can'tFly is offline Find More Posts by Can'tFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2015, 11:34 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tFly View Post
hello guys,
afak, pl8 balancing current is 1A, but i read somewhere it turns into 3A thanks to the "node charging" feature. could someone explain it, please?

Node only charging is limited to 3A due to the size of the balance wire on the battery pack. However balancing current is still 1A. But this is a bypass current. It takes away from the charge current rather than adding to it.

is it true that only pl8 has this feature and pl8-duo doesn't?

Yes, only the PL8 has a node only charging option.

i also wonder if a bigger balancing current would necessarily mean a smaller balancing time.

Yes.

thanks.
Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 07, 2015, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Glen
Glen,
thanks a lot.
Can'tFly is offline Find More Posts by Can'tFly
Old Feb 07, 2015, 05:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tFly View Post
thanks.
It really depends on what is actually occurring during the balancing period. Technically the slow stage at the end of the charge is not normally taken up by balancing. The charger starts balancing the at 3.8v per cell and is often done well before the pack reaches 4.2v per call.

The log slow stage (called the constant voltage or CV) stage is taken up by the charger slowly tapering off the current. If you have very long CV stages, the CV termination current may be set too low for the packs and charge rate. Increase the charge rate or raise the CV termination current.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:33 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It can be adjusted up to 4.30 per cell max. so close but not 4.35.

Charles
I wonder if this is something that could be fixed in firmware at some point or would it require a hardware change? These 4.35v Lipos might become all the rage and I'd had to have to get rid of my two PL8s.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:34 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
I wonder if this is something that could be fixed in firmware at some point or would it require a hardware change? These 4.35v Lipos might become all the rage and I'd had to have to get rid of my two PL8s.
Two new presets have been released for the PL8 and PL6.
They are: LiPo HVBlend 427 and LiPo HVBlend 435

As you would expect they are for the new high voltage ( 4.27V and 4.35V) LiPo's.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 16, 2015, 02:24 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
1,049 Posts
Wow, awesome. Thanks.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC