Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by shortbus1989
I do random gravity checks
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Discussion
Flitetest Mini Corsair Video Review

Printed the plans and scratch built my FT Mini Corsair.

Though I followed the suggested CG it tips stalls every time I give anything more than 25% up elevator, unless I fly inverted. When inverted it's stable and predictable.

Here is my video review, I will do a full review later.

Plans and build link:

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft...-corsair-build

FT Mini Corsair Maiden Crash/Flight review (15 min 25 sec)
shortbus1989 is offline Find More Posts by shortbus1989
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,373 Posts
Drooping leading edge cuffs for the outboard third of the wing may significantly mitigate the problem (lowers the angle of attack outboard). I discuss this at length in other threads.
This article explains how: http://phil.zatetic.com/school/AAE_415_Presentation.pdf

And of course, scaling it up to double or triple the size will dramatically improve things (better Reynolds number).

By the way: You must be a very skilled pilot - that thing is clearly a handful to fly.
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by ec121connie
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2005
206 Posts
shortbus,

Not at all surprising. The folks at FT have published plans for a clinker or two over the years. The videos always praise the virtues and occasionally ignore the flaws.

One notable example is the FT Old Speedster. This one must have been designed for NASCAR. Turns great left .. Not so much right. The fix they used was to shift the wing to one side. After the fix it was a marginal flyer at best.

The flip side, in my opinion, is the FT Spitfire. They are great flyers, look super and not very difficult to build..

Regards,

Connie
ec121connie is online now Find More Posts by ec121connie
Old Dec 14, 2015, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Thanks Nuteman, if CG and throw adjustment does not fix the issue then I'll go this route.

ec121connie,

I've built a lot of FT planes, this and the FT old Speedster are definitely janky flyers. My speedster was so good at going left that it was all I could do... That being said I'm not going to give up on the Corsair just yet, I want to see if I can make fly well in normal and inverted flight. Currently inverted flight is great, normal flying not so much.
Last edited by shortbus1989; Dec 16, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by FLOEY
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus1989 View Post
I've built a lot of FT planes, this and the FT old Speedster are definitely janky
You might build too heavy! Common mistake in the beginning I did it too!
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Dec 15, 2015, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by localfiend
United States, WA, George
Joined Feb 2015
114 Posts
I ordered the speed build kit for this and the P-51, it will be interesting to see how they do.

I just built a Zero in the same size category to pair up with them and it tips stalls a bit as well, but only in a full stall. Those lowered leading edge cuffs are very interesting.

What electronics are you using? I have an F-pack ordered and I think it will be a more reasonable match than what I'm using on my zero.

I've got a 2206 2150kv motor, 6045 prop, and 45c 850mAh 3 cell battery, and I think the power is a bit much, it's not too hard to torque roll the planr at slow speeds.
localfiend is offline Find More Posts by localfiend
Old Dec 15, 2015, 05:29 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,100 Posts
Top heavy !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend View Post
I ordered the speed build kit for this and the P-51, it will be interesting to see how they do.

I just built a Zero in the same size category to pair up with them and it tips stalls a bit as well, but only in a full stall. Those lowered leading edge cuffs are very interesting.

What electronics are you using? I have an F-pack ordered and I think it will be a more reasonable match than what I'm using on my zero.

I've got a 2206 2150kv motor, 6045 prop, and 45c 850mAh 3 cell battery, and I think the power is a bit much, it's not too hard to torque roll the plane at slow speeds.
I think I saw that Zero, awesome work!. I used a 2206 1500kv on 3s with a 8x4 prop. Plenty of power, not too much torque roll which is nice. I will see about getting CG forward as I believe that is the main issue.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 06:13 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,100 Posts
"When inverted it's stable and predictable. “ ... All the weight is above the wing ... try fixing the battery under the wing ...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by ec121connie
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2005
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
You might build too heavy! Common mistake in the beginning I did it too!
I've been out of the cockpit for more years than I care to remember but I must say I've never seen, flown or worked on an aircraft that weighed less when inverted.

As mentioned by GPW, weight distribution may be the cause. The basic placement of components, to achieve proper balance points, is normally part of the design process. Testing and time will tell.

The FT old Speedster had interesting flight behaviors designed in. I'd suggest you view the FT videos and take a look around RCG to verify. We may find that the Corsair, in this version, could have a few undocumented features as well. Alluding to the OP's inability to properly construct the model within the design parameters may not be accurate.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Connie
ec121connie is online now Find More Posts by ec121connie
Last edited by ec121connie; Dec 16, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec121connie View Post
I've been out of the cockpit for more years than I care to remember but I must say I've never seen, flown or worked on an aircraft that weighed less when inverted.

As mentioned by GPW, weight distribution may be the cause. The basic placement of components, to achieve proper balance points, is normally part of the design process. Testing and time will tell.

The FT old Speedster had interesting flight behaviors designed in. I'd suggest you view the FT videos and take a look around RCG to verify. We may find that the Corsair, in this version, could have a few undocumented features as well. Alluding to the OP's inability to properly construct the model within the design parameters may not be accurate.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Connie

Thanks Connie,

The first part of your comment cracked me up. I do agree with the weight distribution, that would explain inverted being so stable. All of the components in the plans are placed above the wing, except for the aileron servos which are mount in the top of the wing.

For build skeptics, I built this model to the exact specs that FT provided. I've watched the FT video of this plane a few times and when Peter launches his it immediately drops a wing tip. This leads me to believe this plane may just be a hand full to fly.

I've added 30grams of nose weight(mounted very low) and will try to relocate the battery to the bottom of the wing. Will try again this weekend.

Also here is a list of my FT and None FT scratch builds
FT spitfire(my favorite)
FT racer
FT versa wing x5
FT Old Speedster
FT Viggen
FT 3D
FPV 30' Wing
FPV 48' Wing
Insulation foam board delta(built more than I can remember)

So I don't believe I messed up the build, but it is possible. I may Print off the plans for the mustang and try building that as well.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:46 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,100 Posts
For Young ones with cat-like reflexes (FT) , this might be FUN to fly , but for we older fliers , something a little more predictable may be preferred... Something that FT never takes into account ...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
For Young ones with cat-like reflexes (FT) , this might be FUN to fly , but for we older fliers , something a little more predictable may be preferred... Something that FT never takes into account ...
The FT Spitfire is a gentle and predictable flyer, probably their best design. 3 sheets of foam and one sheet of poster board.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 06:24 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
25,100 Posts
Different plane eh .... Corsair was the issue ... Apples and oranges ...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 01:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
Different plane eh .... Corsair was the issue ... Apples and oranges ...
I must have misread, I thought you were referring to all FT planes.