Old Dec 26, 2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by pete914
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
218 Posts
Anyone know the best way to get the round hub off the fan so I can remove it to balance my EDF? Quite vibey on test runs
Thanks!

EDIT: Completed my maiden in the rain/mist. It was a success! Cg at 75mm. 3000mah 3s with much added nose weight. Felt nose heavy but no surprises on launch and flew quite well after some up trim on the elevator
Both of my aileron servo's burnt out during setup. So, make sure to order some extra's from the King when you do so.
Stoked!
pete914 is offline Find More Posts by pete914
Last edited by pete914; Dec 26, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by hendrnk
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete914 View Post
Anyone know the best way to get the round hub off the fan so I can remove it to balance my EDF? Quite vibey on test runs
Thanks!
Its not really taking the shroud off but taking the fan off the motor and un bolting the motor from the shroud.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 26, 2015, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Its not really taking the shroud off but taking the fan off the motor and un bolting the motor from the shroud.
I can't get access to the bolts to remove the fan without taking the round hub off the front of the fan though? Am I missing something? I'm a nood.
Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by hendrnk
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete914 View Post
I can't get access to the bolts to remove the fan without taking the round hub off the front of the fan though? Am I missing something? I'm a nood.
Thanks!
That black hub in front of the fan is pressed fit only. Should be able to knock it off or get a screw driver to pry it off.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 04, 2016, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
218 Posts
Thanks for the info on the fan, I will work on that next chance I get.

Just reporting back for those thinking about buying this glider.
I'm a soaring pilot and I like that on 3s you can let this thing rip but also have to use the glider's momentum to get it through aerobatics. It feels pretty natural. The flat wing makes it feel a little different in turn to me but otherwise no surprises with this glider.
I'm now running 2200 mah 3s packs in parallel for about 6 minute flight times mostly full throttle. This fits by having the cutout of the ESC in the canopy and allowing the canopy to not close completely. You can get it to close, but it's much easier to just leave it cracked open and doesn't seem to effect flight. I hold the canopy on with clear tape. Works great.
On my 5th or 6th landing I ripped the wings out as others have. I tried so hard to always put her down near stall speed, but the removable wing is just too weak to land in grass. It doesn't take much to do it. I replaced the carbon wing pins with long metal rods which I roughened and CA'd into the wing. I then CA glued the wing to the fuse and put down two layers of fiberglass at the leading edge junction. The wings is holding up well to grass landings now and it seems to have eliminated some of the mild flutter on the big dives. I recommend this mod.

If you are thinking about this glider, get it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by harrymc
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Nov 2004
1,909 Posts
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Last edited by harrymc; Feb 15, 2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by harrymc
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Nov 2004
1,909 Posts
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Last edited by harrymc; Feb 15, 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: No help here, dead thread...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Major Geek
Chaplain
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Apr 2015
473 Posts
Old Glider Found

I've found a old power glider That I decided to buy, has some parts missing and I'm trying to find out who made it... It has a 59 inch wing span and a 28 inch fuselage including tail. The model has GROB one the wing and D-KHP on the fuselage. I found a company in Germany who's logo is on the wing, but they say they don't produce this model. (small language barrier) I asked them if they use to produce it and got the same answer. The glider looks just like what they manufacture... I'm trying to find the canopy, does anyone know anything about this bird. I'm posting photographs, Thank you a head of time for your help.
Major Geek is offline Find More Posts by Major Geek
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by MartinT
Joined Mar 2006
1,056 Posts
Geek,
you better post this as a separate topic in the glider forum...
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Mar 09, 2016, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Sharing my old Zephyr V70 which i bought 2 years ago, flew couple of flight, she still looks mint and gave it a nice paint job this year. She flew well with 3s 2200mah could do aerobatics in heavy wind:

Video:
Durafly Zephyr V-70 EDF - turbine sound is back on windy day. (3 min 5 sec)
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Mar 09, 2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by ABOVE_AND_BEYOND
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined Jun 2014
276 Posts
Great vid !
I got to maiden my V70 on the weekend and I'm pretty happy with it, I fly with a good bunch of guys that fly petrol / nitro planes,and I'm a newbie to the club, I fly electric planes only and I find it a bit hard to concentrate on my models when the nitro boys are buzzing around, but hey it was great to get my noisy glider ( that's what they called it lol ) in the air
Landings on the grass were a breeze with no damage to the model.
Flight times were at 5 mins with a 2700 3 s Zippy as this is all I have at this stage.
I was a little worried about the CG placement which states in the manual at 85 mm back from the leading edge which is almost in the middle of the wing ! But supprisingly it flies quite well
For durability I've run some two inch wide fibreglass reinforced tape along the leading edge of the wings and along the bottom of the wings where the servo wires run.
I did not experience any tip stall tendency and I like its presence in the air ! I also found orientation very good.
Later down the track I'd like to experiment with better batteries and remove the 50 grams of lead I have stuck on and in the nose to balance the model.
I'd also like to add I'm running a 60amp Turnigy ESC and it seems pretty good and doesn't get too warm.

Cheers Daz
ABOVE_AND_BEYOND is offline Find More Posts by ABOVE_AND_BEYOND
Old Mar 09, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOVE_AND_BEYOND View Post
Great vid !
I got to maiden my V70 on the weekend and I'm pretty happy with it, I fly with a good bunch of guys that fly petrol / nitro planes,and I'm a newbie to the club, I fly electric planes only and I find it a bit hard to concentrate on my models when the nitro boys are buzzing around, but hey it was great to get my noisy glider ( that's what they called it lol ) in the air
Landings on the grass were a breeze with no damage to the model.
Flight times were at 5 mins with a 2700 3 s Zippy as this is all I have at this stage.
I was a little worried about the CG placement which states in the manual at 85 mm back from the leading edge which is almost in the middle of the wing ! But supprisingly it flies quite well
For durability I've run some two inch wide fibreglass reinforced tape along the leading edge of the wings and along the bottom of the wings where the servo wires run.
I did not experience any tip stall tendency and I like its presence in the air ! I also found orientation very good.
Later down the track I'd like to experiment with better batteries and remove the 50 grams of lead I have stuck on and in the nose to balance the model.
I'd also like to add I'm running a 60amp Turnigy ESC and it seems pretty good and doesn't get too warm.

Cheers Daz
Thanks, wow you got 5 min on 3s 2700mah thats very impressive, i got only 3 min on 3s 2200mah. I painted black pattern to deal with the orientation. Upgrade to Hobby King (Blue) 60A esc and didnt do any reinforcement on any parts of the body. My CG is on 75mm. I'm sure your nitro buddies digging in for V70 after hearing those sounds.
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Mar 24, 2016, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by MAVERICK86
Joined May 2007
15 Posts
I am glad that this topic is again active with zephyr's pilots
I can't wait better warmer days to fly my zephyr again. Last year i had few flights, this is actualy my frist plane flying after simulator LOL. Yea i started with this plane like total beginner with 0 experience but i still manage to fly it. So far i had 3 crashes but it's still in one peace
For wing holder i ripped the pink plastic inside foam and insted that i glued wooden holder with epoxy and some fabric to reinforce. After that i didnt had any problems with landings.

Anyway i have one important question about loop. When i do loop with throttle my zpyhr is going from loop to roll, it won't do loop correctly.
Without throttle he is doing loop fine, only problem is with some throttle, he is doing roll from loop, i don't know how to call that "rolling-loop" maybe.
What that could be?
Does others have same problem while doing loop with throuttle?
Question number 2:
Also while you flying do you use rudder when you turn or just turning with ailerons? It's kind a confusing for me on this fast plane to use combo rudder+ailerons for turning. I usualy use only ailerons, what about rest of you?
MAVERICK86 is offline Find More Posts by MAVERICK86
Last edited by MAVERICK86; Mar 24, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2014
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
Thanks, wow you got 5 min on 3s 2700mah thats very impressive, i got only 3 min on 3s 2200mah. I painted black pattern to deal with the orientation. Upgrade to Hobby King (Blue) 60A esc and didnt do any reinforcement on any parts of the body. My CG is on 75mm. I'm sure your nitro buddies digging in for V70 after hearing those sounds.
Hi there,

do you only use 2200 batteries ? if so there must be some serious lead up there for correct cg

One of the guys in the club gave me a 3300 to try out but the rating is only 30c

Your paint job would cetainly help on cloudy days Id like to do a "Toothless" dragon theme
Last edited by ABOVE_AND_BEYOND; Mar 27, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2014
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICK86 View Post
I am glad that this topic is again active with zephyr's pilots
I can't wait better warmer days to fly my zephyr again. Last year i had few flights, this is actualy my frist plane flying after simulator LOL. Yea i started with this plane like total beginner with 0 experience but i still manage to fly it. So far i had 3 crashes but it's still in one peace
For wing holder i ripped the pink plastic inside foam and insted that i glued wooden holder with epoxy and some fabric to reinforce. After that i didnt had any problems with landings.

Anyway i have one important question about loop. When i do loop with throttle my zpyhr is going from loop to roll, it won't do loop correctly.
Without throttle he is doing loop fine, only problem is with some throttle, he is doing roll from loop, i don't know how to call that "rolling-loop" maybe.
What that could be?
Does others have same problem while doing loop with throuttle?
Question number 2:
Also while you flying do you use rudder when you turn or just turning with ailerons? It's kind a confusing for me on this fast plane to use combo rudder+ailerons for turning. I usualy use only ailerons, what about rest of you?
Hi Mav,

Im not sure whats going on with you powered loops, what mode do you fly ?
I'm wondering if there is a bit of unintentional aileron control while you have the power on ? have you checked the elevator throws are identical when you move the stick up ?

Yes lets keep this thread alive, she is a great model

cheers Daz