HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2014, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Aerobat View Post
Thanks interesting, I have used coflute ( I assume it's the same as what you call coroplast) but it's very heavy, if it was cut into strips to make a frame it could cut through the kitchen wrap

Are there any cheaper alternative to those alternatives?

If only ice cream sticks were longer.

Btw I'm from Australia so some of those woods wouldn't be available here, only as expensive imports.
guess I'm a little late but would like to suggest ice cream sticks as a viable option....
agree they are not very long but can be used to build truss type structure for wing and fuselage which can be covered using tracing paper orplastic wrap...

with a proper arrangement and a little bending you can get very good airfoil shapes too...
another good part is that after a crash they are very easy to repair...
just need to replace the damaged stick with a new one and you are ready to get back in the air..
avikarcher is offline Find More Posts by avikarcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:22 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Aerobat View Post
If only ice cream sticks were longer.
Yes brother !
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Old Feb 01, 2014, 05:23 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,030 Posts
Also correx is my choice for everything flying except spar and fuselage material, (though correx fuselages is a good way to go as well, i personally just don't prefer it.) i'm also in SA, and if there were depron available all over cheap, i'd still prefer correx because it has a more solid feel/look to it and flies more solid as well, exactly like a balsa or carbon plane.

Now if only i can get an ice cream stick type fuselage at 1 meter in length, it would be perfect, low drag/lightweight, i really don't feel like even folding up correx to make a fuselage.

i currently use either u channel or cheesed 50mm round gutter pipe, however need something even lighter for my next build.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Last edited by Axefly; Feb 01, 2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 08:06 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,256 Posts
You can look at the lumber store. I noticed some veneer that looked like there was some possibilities. The birch looked useful although not really cheap. I think rather than the U channel, wood strips would be lighter. Bass is good boom material for something that is expected to crash, like trainers and combat planes. I am trying to get away from wood myself because I am tired of painting. Ice cream sticks are just pine or spruce, there must be somewhere that carries a softwood veneer.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
Oldskooler re-n00bing
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jun 2014
24 Posts
Not a balsa alternative, but a cheap way to get balsa, is that "craft" stores, the ones you avoid with all the crosstitch and silk flowers etc, may often have craft packs of balsa, these are typically balsa offcuts, usually about 8" long, 3 or 4" wide and various thicknesses with some inch square blocks even.... picking through these, you can get a very good selection of ribstock or former stock, as long as you're not building huge, and lots of soft skungy block for cowls etc. Anyway, you get the equivalent in sheets of 3 or 4 sheets plus the block stuff for probably around the price of half a sheet.

Sometimes you can also find coffee stirrer sticks that are "popsicle stick" type but half as wide and twice as long.
BalsaBodger is offline Find More Posts by BalsaBodger
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:11 PM
Oldskooler re-n00bing
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jun 2014
24 Posts
Just discovered some ~7/16" square plant stakes in a dollar store here, dollarama. 4 for $2 3ft long. Look like they might make good wing spars, but I had a choice of 1 package, and mine are a bit knotty... will see if the other locations have any better as I come across them.

I got into my stash of "put away" bits and pieces, and discovered I had been stripping up some tomato or fruit boxes, which can be a single veneer of wood, or a light lywood type stuff.

I am thinking that foam board could be used for longerons on a frame, BUT you'd have to double up the thickness at least, methinks, so use like a 1/4 or 3/8 wide strip, on it's edge, with deeper slots cut in the formers (Which could need some former redesign if they are not very meaty). With a fuselage with a lot of curve in it though you'd have to cut them to shape rather than bend them.
BalsaBodger is offline Find More Posts by BalsaBodger