HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2013
21 Posts
I looked a little bit but wasn't having much luck finding what I'm looking for with FPV. Since some seem to be against using a gopro for FPV, I was trying to find a thread that would either link me to a full FPV kit or to all the necessary components and how to use them. Any pointers?
smerny is offline Find More Posts by smerny
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:28 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
680 Posts
You should learn to fly first, look for a FPV system after at least about a half year of successful flying with different models. Going in to FPV as a beginner is NOT a good idea..
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
21 Posts
I was actually thinking FPV would be easier for me as my flying experience has all been video games, simulators, and actual airplanes... i had a first person view with all of those
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
Ask any full scale pilot that has ventured into RC flight and they will tell you that RC flight is NOTHING like full scale flight and many have a hard time learning it. I have seen many a full scale pilot dork in their first RC pane simply BECAUSE they were used to a "first person view" and were not ready for RC because there is no "feel" for the plane and orientation can be a big problem for them. Games, are not real and sims are good for learning deft stick control and orientation, but beyond that, nothing will prepare you except getting out and flying for real. All the experience you have with "flying" games and sims doesn't really translate well to the real thing (RC Flight). Finally, RC flight is NOT an easy thing to master. Put away your aspirations about FPV until you know HOW TO FLY THE PLANE.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerny View Post
I was actually thinking FPV would be easier for me as my flying experience has all been video games, simulators, and actual airplanes... i had a first person view with all of those
It just doesn't work that way. FPV is not a consumer product, it's a make it yourself hack job, and every system is experimental. A proper approach for success requires starting slow and adding variables only when previous ones have been dealt with. Otherwise your systems will experience random failures with unknown causes.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:34 PM
Cheerio's & 100LL
Joined Sep 2011
103 Posts
A good middle ground here could be to have a ground station with a monitor instead of goggles. That way, you focus on flying the model from a ground perspective, but learn the basics of FPV and get your setup tweaked, and without risking loosing the a/c from glitches out of sight.

FPV will be easier no doubt for you, without a doubt, but the bigger learning curve will be dealing with model specific issues, like radio setup, avoiding trees, powerlines, etc, and dealing with an aircraft with a very light wing loading. Having flown both R/C and full scale, I can attest that models are more difficult, especially due to awkward orientation problems where you have to truly visualise what the model is doing, regardless to what you are seeing. Because of this, I'd suggest you fly, at least until you are comfortable, line of sight, before progressing to a full FPV/goggles setup.

Happy Flying!

Graeme
GraemeEllis is offline Find More Posts by GraemeEllis
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:53 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
I think Graeme's post was a very thoughtful reply.

There are quite a few FPV pilots where I fly. One of them let me try his rig using goggles. Wow...what a strange experience! I would have crashed in less than a minute. It's so different from "normal" rc flight.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
I think Graeme's post was a very thoughtful reply.

There are quite a few FPV pilots where I fly. One of them let me try his rig using goggles. Wow...what a strange experience! I would have crashed in less than a minute. It's so different from "normal" rc flight.
A lot of us do keep an extra viewing screen around to 'give rides' with. It is a great way to show people what we're doing isn't super easy, but worth the effort to learn.

I don't know why I haven't posted this before... this thread has a beginner guide to FPV. You've got some videos to watch if you want to do this stuff - Alex is the FPV guru...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2013
21 Posts
Yea I was actually thinking of using a screen - not goggles. Anyone have a link (or multiple links) to a cheap but effective fpv complete setup? I don't need miles, a half mile would probably be more than enough... I'm not planning to try to boost the tx/rx for the controls anyway. I should be receiving the plane around Thursday... I'll probably have someone record my first flight (not attached to the plane) and post it here afterwards.
Last edited by smerny; Jun 23, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerny View Post
Yea I was actually thinking of using a screen - not goggles. Anyone have a link (or multiple links) to a cheap but effective fpv complete setup? I don't need miles, a half mile would probably be more than enough... I'm not planning to try to boost the tx/rx for the controls anyway. I should be receiving the plane around Thursday... I'll probably have someone record my first flight (not attached to the plane) and post it here afterwards.
Go read that link I told you, and watch the videos. It will explain the choices for a basic to advanced FPV system and there's plenty of links. If you have a question after doing that, ask it over there, where the FPV experts look.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
A lot of us do keep an extra viewing screen around to 'give rides' with. It is a great way to show people what we're doing isn't super easy, but worth the effort to learn.

I don't know why I haven't posted this before... this thread has a beginner guide to FPV. You've got some videos to watch if you want to do this stuff - Alex is the FPV guru...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
sweet ! Thanks for that link, i been thinking of trying FPV, i see i have a ton of reading to do.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd