HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Feb 2002
75 Posts
Discussion
Byron Glasair engine

I am working on a Byron Glasair. I think I am going to go with a Q52 for an engine instead of a Q42. I have heard that it performs much better with the Q52. My question is does anybody have any pictures of a Q52 mounted on this plane. I don't want to have to cut away the entire bottom of the cowl to make it fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
jpeca is offline Find More Posts by jpeca
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 07:09 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,099 Posts
The '42 muffler is in the rear,so can be fairly well hidden.

The '52 muffler is a side mount,so will occupy a bit more space...There's an abundance of aftermarket mufflers, and there may be one that requires less space than others.

That aircraft was fast, so the extra power won't hurt a thing.

Sorry I don't have any pics, just the info.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old May 06, 2013, 08:34 AM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
Yep, had that plane in the 80's.
Love the looks of that wide body.
I had 52 in mine and she liked it. I did have to cut some of the bottom cowl out though I remember.
Keep the speed up on final as she likes to snap with that small stab.
I was always going to sand the out board wing to a flat lifting airfoil to help with that problem.
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
Old May 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
972 Posts
I have a Moki 2.10 in mine and it is the perfect power match in my opinion. I have no holes in the cowl other than the muffler exit. I baffled the engine very tightly and all of the incoming air flows through the fins and out the bottom. I burn about 16 ounces of fuel for a normal flight.
Yes it is quite fast. It is fast enough that the torque rod flap system has go to to go. I am going to put a servo in each panel like the ailerons. I occasionally hear a low frequency buzz and I think it is the flap starting to flutter due to the spongy linkage.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old May 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Feb 2002
75 Posts
jhaywood
Are your wings glassed or did you just cover them in econokote?
jpeca is offline Find More Posts by jpeca
Old May 11, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
972 Posts
The foam parts are all glassed and painted. If I was starting from scratch, I would add wood leading edges and tip blocks for ding resistance.
jhaywood is online now Find More Posts by jhaywood