HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:19 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
593 Posts
Way to go! Very nice project.

I'm just curious if you got a chance to do the typical sailplane tuning exercise of slowly removing lead from the nose? The up elevator trim needed you mentioned after the first flights would indicate you could stand to remove some nose weight, and then remove some of that up trim. She might slow down a bit and have some longer flight times.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:26 AM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
The Cub Sailplane is featured in my latest Nodd RC video...

Nodd RC - 040 - RealFlight Custom Planes (7 min 35 sec)
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:56 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
Click below if you want to download my Cub Sailplane for RealFlight 6.5...

Last edited by Nodd; Mar 15, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:49 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
awesome! a very well recycled plane! not every crash should end up in the bin! this is a great example of a great idea working out.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:13 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
How did you make the model for the flight sim? Or how did you get it made?
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
I made the RealFlight model myself. Watch the video, it explains the basics.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:11 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,278 Posts
Out of the park again Chris
Great Job

Charlie
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
oh cool, didn't see the first vid, will watch
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Ok very cool. Didn't realize it was that (relatively) easy to do. So forgive me for being clueless, but how experienced were you with CAD software before trying this... and by CAD you mean full 3d design software I assume like Maya or whatever open source program you can manage to teach yourself? I have a LITTLE experience doing that long ago. I suppose there are tutorials online for this purpose of managing to make a realistic 3d model out of a 3 view... I gotta know though, what software are YOU using? This is the first time a video has ever made me actually want to buy RF6 lol.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
I have a lot of experience with CAD, have been working with it professionally for 20 years. Yeah there are tutorials online as well as free/low priced CAD software. For this however I used 3D MAX (which is neither free nor cheap). That's the same CAD software the guys who make RealFlight use. I heard rumors there's ways to do this using other CAD software but as I have 3D MAX already, I didn't look into that route.

As I mentioned in the video, this process may not be for everyone. It requires CAD skills, software & the willingness to spend time researching & learning what's involved in the process. Very rewarding though. I can't wait to model some of my other planes & also use this as a tool to design & test fly new projects. Fun Fun.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
yeah I'm probably too lazy at this point in life to learn that. I did take a class on that software i believe, like 15 years ago.. couldn't deal with the slow pace of learning.
I just wanted to make cool stuff, and they went on for 2 weeks just about camera angles and framing and scripting things. Knowing it's pretty easy for those in the know to do is good though; there is a good chance that pretty much every semi-well known model by any major mfr can be found online. It must be relatively easy at least, to create custom skins for included or downloaded planes by taking pictures of your own model? I know you can import pics of flying fields to use as backgrounds.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:57 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
X-Plane flight sim comes with a somewhat clunky but otherwise relatively painless aircraft editor. It's geared more towards full scale aircraft but it will do RC sized stuff too. It comes with a simplified CAD interface that lets you setup basic airframes. It'll also let you create truly amazing virtual aircraft using third party CAD. I've used its built-in "Plane Maker" to test designs, that's pretty cool. For RC however, I have to say, RealFlight is superior.

You're correct in noting a lot of the more popular RC planes have already been created for RealFlight, both by them & by the public. The user created content can be had here for free... Knife Edge Swap Pages.

Yeap, you can also take a standard 2:1 ratio (360 x 180) panoramic photo of your flying field & import it into RealFlight. You'll need some photo stitching, pano software to produce the panorama but that's about it. RealFlight has a pretty powerful flying-field editor built in. I've created several of my local fields (the high-start one from the video for example).

There's other RC sim software too like Phoenix & AeroFly, both very good too. I don't believe you can create models for Phoenix but you can do flying fields. AeroFly (although I have no experience with that) will let you create custom content too. Again you'll need CAD software & some know how.

Anyway getting a tad off topic here, besides (for us in the Northern hemisphere at least) Spring is here! Time to get out & do some real flying *grin*
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Thanks for that info Nodd, good stuff
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,244 Posts
I've got to say, I really do like this Cub glider of yours. It's really very cute. If you do decide to design a larger wood version, I do hope you would choose to make the plans available for sale. I am sure you raised a lot of eyebrows amongst some of the sailplane perfectionists and naysayers. It proves that TLAR works! (That Looks About Right).
If it looks like it should fly, as long as the CG is right, it probably will.

Best of luck in your future endeavors with this cool design you've come up with!
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude