Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
Fly and Crash
United States, WI, Waukesha
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
Discussion
Built up foam wing.

I am trying a new technique (for me) of having a built up foam wing. This will be a one night build with pics going up as I make progress. The first wing I built for the horizon hobby Super-Cub (i always forget if it's horizon-hobby or parkzone) is a little small and the plane has a pretty high sink rate with power off (about 1:1). So I am building a 48 in wing and covering it with econkote. Never used the stuff, but there is a first time for everything.
dieselBird is offline Find More Posts by dieselBird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
Fly and Crash
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
Continuation

Ok, so trying to keep the weight down I am drilling out 4 in holes, and thus the need for covering.

I would like to make this more of a discussion on at what span or wing size does it make sense to have a built up wing that is covered over a solid foam wing.

and also what are easy ways to work with foam to build a covered wing.

This is my first attempt and is a prototype for a larger plane I would like to build in the future.

My work so far.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
Fly and Crash
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
and Success/Failure

I need not say, "Nothing is as easy as it seems"

For the first time with econokote, not horrible. I just have a bad habit of jumping into things, without first researching how-to's here and on you-tube.

She should be flying tomorrow, I just have to add the ailerons and servo's etc.

-----------------------------------------------
The Details

I had many rips, and there are at least ten patches. There are still many wrinkles, but I think it is flyable.

I am not sure how taunt the covering should be, which caused one rip over one of my cutouts. That later got two patches.

The wing did warp a little too. There is now some unintended 'washout' on the right side of the wing. Not too bad though.

This was my first time using econokote and an iron. The pictures below show more.

Thanks for taking a look.

For everyone that has been in this situation before, remember when you started? And go ahead and laugh at me

And for those of you that haven't covered before, learn from me and do your homework before covering your plane.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,156 Posts
It doesn't look so bad to me. You spent what, a couple bucks for foam and econokote? Therefore I'd consider this my homework ... I'm like you I guess. I'll do it myself and figure out what I did or didn't do right and make it better the next time. Watching YouTube videos gives me the scratch!

Plus get that booger up in the air and nobody cares about wrinkles
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,500 Posts
On your next one, you might try Doculam for your covering on foam. It's a clear plastic, stickyback film obtainable at Staples. May go under a different name It's for protecting documents. It sticks and shrinks well with a Monocote iron. Takes paint well too. And it's cheap.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2004
313 Posts
You may want to try spraying a light coat of 3M spray 77. It gives a great surface to adhere to.
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Fly and Crash
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
Hey flypaper,

thx for the response, I will have to go look for it. After the fact I see why not a lot of foamies use econokote........... it's expensive. Even if you get two planes out of a roll, the cost adds another $5 per plane. It works against everything we are trying to do with foamies, build quickly and cheaply.

Hopefully she will be in the air this morning.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:30 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,500 Posts
How'd it go. Good I hope.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2