Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
231 Posts
Discussion
DX8 SPM Decoder

Posted this as a new thread, was getting quickly lost on the DX8 & DX10 thread. Deserves its own thread I think.

I believe there was a chat on this forum a while ago about having a decoder for the SPM files. I'm NOT talking about an editor. I set about generating an Excel based system to provide a listing of the critical settings for a model. Attached is my progress so far. It is not comprehensive and it still has some errors .... eg not all the gyro options are in there yet, also using FMode as the switch for gyro gives 4 gyro settings ... not catered for so far. This has been progressed for an electric heli and does not include governor or any fixed wing options. The included model is the Trex450Pro from the Spektrum site but there are instructions included so that you can insert your own model. It was all done using Office 2007 but I believe it can be worked on in later versions. Has anyone else gone down this line or does anyone have any suggestions.
744drv is online now Find More Posts by 744drv
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 11:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
those that have or can probably are keeping it for themselves. I don't blame them. Found some cool stuff and kept that for myself.

Others just rely on the regular method of programming things and may not need or want a decoder to mess around with SPM files.

Each time they change AirWare version and or add features it may mess up your setup.

I use a File Editor and it line the SPM file well enough to understand whats going on and easy enough to use and make changes.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 05, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
231 Posts
But I'm content to share. I have already made improvements to this file (gyro options are now sorted) and will happily share again.

I have also deliberately made an attempt to use lookup features of Excel to try to keep this approach immune from future software changes. Time will tell I guess
Old May 05, 2011, 03:27 PM
Just flew it
Cumbria, UK
Joined Feb 2005
291 Posts
I think that your work is great, it's good to be able to view the SPM files in an easier to read format

Graphical displays next for Throttle curves and expo
toys2cars2toys is online now Find More Posts by toys2cars2toys
Old May 05, 2011, 03:36 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
OK just after getting home at looking at it I see what you have done, great work. But for some reason its not what I was expecting but none the less nice job...
Old May 06, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
I think that your work is great, it's good to be able to view the SPM files in an easier to read format

Graphical displays next for Throttle curves and expo
Throttle curves are easy ... see attached. This file also includes a more comprehensive 'gyro' section. This includes changes of labelling if you change the switch selection. The only advantage I could see for graphical presentations above and beyond what the tx offers is that you can present multiple curves on the same graph ... hence my use of throt curves. I thought that maybe having a graph of thot curves might save you from making a gross error ... say you had set your cure to all 50% during setup .... However, the chances of one downloading the file, entering it to the decoder and then spotting the error is remote.

I think the advantage of this presentation is to have all your settings on one easily viewable page.

Thanks for the input
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Throttle curves are easy ... see attached. This file also includes a more comprehensive 'gyro' section. This includes changes of labelling if you change the switch selection. The only advantage I could see for graphical presentations above and beyond what the tx offers is that you can present multiple curves on the same graph ... hence my use of throt curves. I thought that maybe having a graph of thot curves might save you from making a gross error ... say you had set your cure to all 50% during setup .... However, the chances of one downloading the file, entering it to the decoder and then spotting the error is remote.

I think the advantage of this presentation is to have all your settings on one easily viewable page.

Thanks for the input
I am normally on HeliFreak, but I thought you guys might be interested in the Tx Profile Manager being developed: https://sites.google.com/site/txprofilemanager

Here is the thread on HeliFreak if you are interested: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=405259
PsychoHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by PsychoHeliPilot
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
Cool. Had a quick look. Being experience looking and editing the SPM files I looked at the program to see if it contained a certain thing and it didn't.

But very nice work so far.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Cool. Had a quick look. Being experience looking and editing the SPM files I looked at the program to see if it contained a certain thing and it didn't.

But very nice work so far.
Are you looking for mixing? Let me know as it is a work in progress and happy to add to it.
PsychoHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by PsychoHeliPilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:14 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
210 Posts
Try WordPad to modify and save SPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoHeliPilot View Post
Are you looking for mixing? Let me know as it is a work in progress and happy to add to it.
I opened up an SPM in Wordpad by mistake. I was able to make a change and save the file on my PC. After transferring the file to my DX8, it had no trouble with it.

All changes made must be in the correct format or else the DX8 reports an error
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,083 Posts
What was the change you performed ?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:17 PM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
994 Posts
This is an old thread, but I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable people subscribed to it.

Does anyone know what the 'analogID' attribute means in a SPM file? It's a mystery to me.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:52 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,074 Posts
What have you learned from your comparative research?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:57 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
What have you learned from your comparative research?
I've noticed that the analogID values are different between DX8 and DX9. They appear to correspond to something like the source stick or switch input (at least for <P-Mix>).

If I change the analogID value in <DR_Expo>, it doesn't appear to change anything at all....

<DR_Expo>
*Index= 1
analogID= <this value can be anything>
conditionID= 127

conditionID seems to be the switch or F-Mode used by the dual rate.

That's way I'm wondering what analogID actually does. Maybe it's not important and I can forget about it.

Can you give me a hint?
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,074 Posts
I think you're doing just fine. That's about all I can tell you.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor