HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
returning to hobby, electric advice wanted

I am returning to the hobby. Started in 1976 at Chanute AFB, Rantoul IL, at the first shop outside the base gate which was a hobby shop. The kindly gentleman was quite assistive and took me through building and into flight. I've passed that forward many, many times over as the local club president, establishing two flying fields, and teaching MANY others to fly using my swizzle stick 40 and an AM Futaba buddy box. I left the hobby about 15 years ago as electrics were getting started, and now want to get back into it. The swizzle stick is still hanging with it's pontoons attached - just needs a new radio, but what I want to do is add electric flight to my experience. There's a bushwhacker to build, a few stick 30's, etc. You folks could really help me out by suggesting the above average, but not top of the line expensive, proven working components. As before... everything will be passed forward over and over...

My question is: What size brushless electric (and what prop size) would it take to give me the same performance as an old vaco .19, or K&B .20. What battery pack is needed? What ESC is about right. I'd like to hear a variety of opinions. As for the radio I"m definitely going spread spectrum but would like a 4 chan and a 6 chan that can buddy-box.
floatingbiomed is offline Find More Posts by floatingbiomed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:32 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,876 Posts
Hi and welcome back! For the power system, I reccomend any 25-40 amp 1000-1200kv outrunner brushless motor swinging a 10'' to 13'' diameter prop. Your going to need a brushless ESC, and I suggest a 40 amp with a built-in BEC but that depends, the servos you have in that plane are probally really old and heavy. I would definitly swith them out to the much better lighter servos of today. For the battery, definitly go LiPo. I reccomend a 3S pack, 2200-3200mah 20C+. A good source for cheap LiPos is Hobbyking, Hobbypartz, ValueHobby and LowPriceRC. For the radio you want, there are alot of choices out there for 2.4 ghz. Futaba uses FHSS (frequency hopping), Airtronics uses something similar and the very popular Spektrum/JR line uses something called DSM2. Its mostly your preference as they all work great. For the receiver I would get a 5-channel or 6-channel full range.

Thats just my opinion.

My suggestion for the motor:http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...29&item_id=223 (or like I said anything close or equivalent to the specs of this motor )

ESC: http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=25&item_id=51

Battery: http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=8&item_id=202

Also, I would get a Watt meter which is a very helpfull tool to measure amps, watts, voltage drop etc.
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Oct 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:32 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
Yes indeed, welcome back.
A word of caution on some of the smaller motors... I personally steer clear of any that use spring clips on their shafts. These can be a real pain if/when you have to change a shaft or remove it for straightening. I always go for a motor that uses grub (set) screws. Shafts can get bent very easily in any contact with the ground - especially with the larger props we like to use for best efficiency.
It is my view that to use a motor which offers twice the power than you expect to need allows you to run it cool. Subject to the shaft problems mentioned above a motor used in that way should last a whole modelling lifetime.

I would heartily endorse the suggestion to buy a wattmeter. This is essential when setting up a power system and allows current drawn by the motor to be checked for different props so that you don't overload motor, Electronic Speed Controller, or batteries. If you aim to achieve about 60 watts per pound of model this should pretty much guarantee flight - provided your prop has enough pitch to get comfortable flying speed.

I use the Futaba 6EX 2.4ghz system and have had no problems with it in use, but my main criticism of it is that it only has a switch for the flap channel so flaps are either up or down. That is very limiting for scale flying. The Futaba receivers are also very pricey, but HobbyKing have just brought out a RX that is supposed to be an alternative and is only half the price. If it works (mine is in the post right now) it will save a lot of expense when filling up the 6-model memory.

Have fun!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,727 Posts
WASGliderguy, I'm starting into Electric, too, and I thank you for your post. I've messed with NIMH some, and ahve decided to b ite the LIPO bullet. My FMA Cellpro 4 has yet to be unwrapped.....

Valuehobbies looks quite good; how is their service?

thanks.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Fond memories of Chanute Field!

I was a free-flighter, then, (1949), and we did all our modeling at the base hobby shop. The shop was under command of Captain Vogler. He took us to Olathe Naval Air Station, in Kansas, in a C-47, to represent USAF as the Air Force Team, at the 1949 US National Championships. A truly memorable adventure, for a 17-year-old!
Welcome back!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
United States, OR, Lake Oswego
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
You could also go four cell: 4s2650mah, motor 180G 700-800kv
732002 is offline Find More Posts by 732002
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:11 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Check out headsuprc.com for good advice, low pricing, and three day $2 shipping.

A very satisfied customer, art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,692 Posts
Lucien Miller of Innov8tive Designs has a running thread on the Power Systems forum. He can recommend the proper Scorpion brushless outrunner motor, speed control, prop and Lipo pack , tell him the model type, weight, wingspan and kind of performance you desire. Innov8tives website has a helpful table of equivalent brand motors and propeller selection charts. Recommend you get a Wattmeter for checking actual current draw and voltage drop, etc. to assure proper prop selections for various motors, battery packs and models. Even an old IC pro needs to find a mentor when switching to electric power.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:45 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
WASGliderguy, I'm starting into Electric, too, and I thank you for your post. I've messed with NIMH some, and ahve decided to b ite the LIPO bullet. My FMA Cellpro 4 has yet to be unwrapped.....

Valuehobbies looks quite good; how is their service?

thanks.

howell
Hi! I have never had a problem with Value Hobby Some other good places in the USA to buy from are HeadsUpRC and BPHobbies.

@Art Schmitz: Coulden't agree more!
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,692 Posts
You will need a good quality high capacity lipo balancing-type charger suitable for 4000-5000 mah 4 or 5 cell packs and a 28 amp 12 volt power supply. Take your time to famiiliarize yourself with various brands of chargers and their features. Starting out with .40 glow equivalent power systems, chargers and power supplies is not cheap.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged