SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Discussion
Anyone quit smoking?

Based on discussion in a different thread, has anyone quit smoking? If so, how'd you do it, how hard was it, and how long has it been?
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
Hmmmm

Reminds me of Theo van Gogh's website called "de gezonde roker" or "the healthy smoker". When Theo, a notorious chain smoker, was murdered, his site was archived under the name "de gestopte roker" or "the smoker who quit". Because of this, some local blogs still use "to quit smoking" as a euphemism for dying.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:35 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,424 Posts
Quit March of '94 after smoking since I was 16 (now 50 and intend to stick around even longer). My choice was Marlboro red box, switched to Lights, then Ultrlights. I woke up one morning realizing I was smoking two packs a day, getting nothing out of it but aching lungs, quit cigarettes that day and haven't touched one since.
I'm not saying that I've been completely nicotine free in that time. Every great now and then I enjoy a good cigar but even that is few and far between and the undying craving for nocotine is no longer there.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
hey Arbo..nice post..I wish you all the best if you "sincerely " want to quit smoking..the key word here is "sincerely" many people say they want to quit but in their hearts they dont really want to. My father would be a great example of this. He has had 4 massive heart attacks and 2 quadrouple bypass surgeries. He is on the max amount of dosage from every medicine he takes from statens to blood thinners, yet he continues to smoke {I belive hes around 70 years old now} .I aslo have a good freind whos my age-37- and has said he wanted to quit several times..he starts the nicotine patches and he will stop smoking sometimes for months..and then go back to it..based on factors such as being around an enviroment that encourages smoking {bars/strip clubs/ poker games} . Theres no doubt he could quit smoking if he wanted to..but I feel in his heart he doesnt want to,just like my dad.
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
My wife quite smoking the first of the year in 2000. (That was just a few months before we met.) She had been smoking since she was a teenager. She said it was no problem for her at all. Her son had told her he wanted to quit, and they both decided to stop. Her son probably stopped for a couple of hours, but he is really addicted.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,866 Posts
Similar story to Mark's. Started when I was about 15. When Dad found out he said if I was going to act like a man I would smoke like a man and that meant Camels or nothing. Nothing like a Camel to establish a nicotine habbit.

Don't remember how long ago I quit, but I woke up one morning and couldn't really get a good breadth. Mine son had been on my case about smoking and I knew I wouldn't be around to spoil his children, so I decided to just quit. I was on blood pressure medicine and called my doctor and ask that he change my script to Combipress (an old, then generic blood pressure medicine that also showed promise in helping people kick heavier drug habbits). He agreed and whether it was a placebo effect or of real benefit I will never know. But that was the last time I smoked and it was about 13-15 years ago. However, I really know it is not that I have quit, I have just not had the next one for 13+ years.

I still reach in my pocket for a cig when the phone rings. Some much of what we do is either habbit or reaction and we have to force ourselves to do different things.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
I smoked for around 15 years Sampoerna Cloves was my brand
it has been around 10 years now smoke free.....was the hardest thing I had to do....all it took was a wooden dowel lots of gum....and locked my self away for around a month....
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Good luck with it Paul. I'm pretty sure the secret to quiting is to not smoke. Period.

I originally quit eight years ago. I had the good fortune of getting really sick with pneumonia where taking a smoke would make me cough till I was physically sick to my stomach. After 2 weeks I was better but figured I might as well continue on with the not smoking. It stuck, and worked pretty good till about a year and a half ago, aside from the very occasional cigarette or cigar at barbeques -- as in maybe only 2 to 10 smokes a year, and I should point out absolutely none during the first two years of quiting. I should also point out that when I first quit I ended up gaining about 75 pounds that I've never lost, mainly because I'd polish off a big bag of chips every evening when I got home. Dumb.

A year and a half ago I went through an extremely stressful period at work. That couple cigarettes a year fooled me into thinking I could buy a pack to help me with the stress and then drop it when the stress abated. Big mistake. One pack led to smoking a half-pack a day for the last year and a half, with several attempts to quit cold turkey or with the nicotine gum during that time. The withdrawl was way worse then when I quit the first time. The wife would nag about it - wrong thing to as it just made me want to smoke more - and my daughter would hit me with the 'I don't want you to die' routine. So I did make up my mind that I was going to quit again.

About two months ago I set a quit date. Absolute, no wavering quit date. I got myself the big pack of nicorette gum and stretched out that last pack so that I had my last smoke at midnight the day of my quit date. I have been smoke free for five weeks now. Toughest part is not asking for a pack of smokes when I get gas for the car. I chewed the gum (vigorously!) until the previous Sunday. For the last week I was cutting back on the gum and have now been off the gum for the past three days. I'm doing okay, but am having the occasional chew of regular gum whenever I feel the nicotine withdrawl. Oh and no chips this time either. I bought a guitar, signed up for guitar lessons and have been picking at the guitar during my free time instead of stuffing my piehole.

I'm going to have a big test tonight when my best friend growing up comes over. We started smoking together when we were 13, stealing smokes from his sister. He still does, and I'm just going to have to stick with the 'not a single puff' routine.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:24 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
Mrs H and I both stopped smoking in 1990 on the spur of the moment. It was one of those "If these get any more expensive, I'll stop", countered by my "If you stop so will I, and I won't start again before you do" moments!

Worked like a charm. We both quit there and then, and haven't smoked since. No patches, no therapy/counselling. Just willpower and a bit of competition.

Now and then I catch the whiff of a smoker as they pass by at work, and I wonder to myself how could I have done something so stupid for all those years?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:21 AM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
I've struggled with it for years now. Been smoking on and off since 17. I'm 33 now. There have been entire years I didn't smoke and there have been times I smoked a pack a day. It's kind of a social thing for me. If I'm around smokers, I'll smoke.

It's kind of OK with me if I limit it to a few a day, don't smoke in my home, don't carry them around, don't smoke at work. It's OK with me if I have a party night when I smoke a bunch and then don't touch em for days.

It's not OK with me at all if I just smoke ten or twenty day after day after day. Kind of hard to do twenty miles on the bike, or play ultimate frisbee or climb mountains and keep up a big ciggie habit at the same time.

Start to keep a journal of how many and when you smoked each day. Be aware of it. Find those cigs that you can most easily cut out. For me it was work break cigarettes, after meals, nothing else to do cigarettes. I'm at about three or four per day (Winston Lights) now. More on days when I go out to a bar or to a party, fewer on days when I work twelve hours or build planes or am getting good exercise. Just keeping busy, eating healthy, feeling good is my best defense.

New girl, Heidi, is hardcore against it, so I've been chewing more toothpicks and smoking fewer cigarettes lately. It's strange because sometimes it seems so hard and other times I'll not even think about it. I think much of the craving has to do with brain chemistry, which has to do with mood and thought. If you've got natural endorphins going, you don't need the nicotine induced ones.

I know for me it's very related to alcohol. If I even drink one beer, I'll jones for a cigarette almost immediately.

Just becoming more aware of it helped me to limit, hence the journal. Cody Wilson (Paul and myself's mutual slope flying friend) quit after the first of the year with the help of a hypnotist. Hasn't touched em since, even though many in his social circle are regular smokers.

Whenever I go a whole day without any, I try to congratulate myself with a nice dinner, money in the RC budget, buying a book or a double helping of late night ice cream.

I guess my problem is that there are certain situations where I like smoking, but as life changes (finally growing up some) and the general culture turns against it, that seems to be fewer and fewer situations.

Nothing I hate worse than feeling like some kind of pariah because I excuse myself to the outdoors at a dinner party or during a work lunch.

Good luck with it Paul. I know you already have quite a few good reasons that you'll want to be around for a long time to come.

Graham
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quit. Several times, in fact. I smoked for 4 years, quit for 12. Got divorced, smoked for 4 years. Been off the habit for about 5 now. I can still almost taste a Marlboro light right now. If it were not disgusting and universally harmful, I would still smoke. I quit by stopping. when I wanted one, I did something else instead.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I quit cigarettes on Jan 22, 2001, and have not had one since. I also gave up cigars at the same time, but after a couple years I went back to the occasional stogie. Only time it's a problem is when I get one of the "Easy to smoke" cigars like Havatampas or Swishers. Then I get the jones and have to "Make" myself quit again.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
I've quit so many times in the last 30 years, I finally quit quiting! I hate to admit it, but I am totally addicted! When I "abstain" for long periods of time, I become totaly disfunctional. Once I made it for 3 months without smoking. My nervous system was in such a wreck that I could hardly carry on a coherent conversation. I have been to several "drying out" clinics like for drug addicts or alchoholics, to no avail. I guess I am "cursed" with this thing somewhat like rumme's dad. Seriously, I am not just making excuses, it is that serious.
During one of my extended periods of "abstainance", I cleaned up enough to actually discover how bad a smokers automobile smells! My gawd! I never realized how bad it was! Or pubs where people smoke. And ash trays! I can honestly sympathize with non smokers who tolorate others with this stinking, filthy habit.
One doctor at one of the clinics told me that some people, for some reason are more susceptible than most to nicotine addiction. Some people can pick it up and put it down without major problems. But for some of us more unfortunate ones it is far more complex.
My sincerest heartfelt advise to anyone who is not hooked is to please never even touch one of the acursed things. They can be just as dangerious as any hard drug.
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:40 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
I quit once and have not smoked since. Just quit buying cigs one day and that was it. Best method I can think of is to cut it off at the source. No cigs.... no smoking.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:04 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
Quit. Several times, in fact. I smoked for 4 years, quit for 12. Got divorced, smoked for 4 years. Been off the habit for about 5 now. I can still almost taste a Marlboro light right now. If it were not disgusting and universally harmful, I would still smoke. I quit by stopping. when I wanted one, I did something else instead.
Similar to my experience. Quit for about ten years, got bored, started smoking again

Its easy to do - you simply make it THE most important thing in your life. Anyone who hasn't quit simply hasn't made it important enough.

Anyone can give up, its not starting again that is the problem. That takes complete commitment.

The first ten years are the worst, and after that it just gets worse
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1