HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Help!
Beginners help please

Hi all. I need some direction. I won this car in a raffle.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...RD-24GHz-Radio

The last time I had an rc car was when I was 3 and the remote was connected to the car with a wire. I know nothing. Where can I find good beginners info? I don't feel like the car even comes with enough info to get it running. Should I just go to the local rc shop and become friends? I need to learn the real basics

Thanks for any info you can provide.
loudog212 is offline Find More Posts by loudog212
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Welcome to our awesome hobbby. We are more than happy to help you out.

First off, starting off with a nitro-powered RC car is going to be difficult especially since this is truly your first hobby-grade RC car. I would consider trading the car you won for something that is electric powered. Also, the car you won is setup for drifting and intended for smooth surfaces, this will limit where and how you can drive the car...just a heads up.

Coming to RCGroups.com is a good step where the RC community can help guide you. Also, check out this little article which is a basic intro to RC. CLICK HERE!
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Thank you very much for your response.

Maybe all nitro cars are like this but i was disappointed to find out i would need to purchase glow plugs, igniter, and battery charger for the car. I too was thinking about trading it. I planned to bring it to the local shop to see about trading it for a used off road nitro. A co worker of mine has a Losi Ten-T that he offered to trade. What are your thoughts on that trade? At least with that car i can mess around with it in the yard.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
I would never suggest a nitro-powered vehicle as a first RC car. There is a lot more to know and understand with a nitro car compared to an electric one. Electric- powered will be a better way for you to cut your teeth on. Electric-powered cars these days have a load of performance with brushless motors and Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries. I don't think it is a good trade for you.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Thank you for your honesty. I'll keep looking.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog212 View Post
Thank you for your honesty. I'll keep looking.
You are welcome. Feel free to hit me up again once you find another option.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4 Posts
Well, i decided to go out on a limb and keep the car. I bought all the parts i needed but... i cant get it to start.

I've watched every video on youtube. i think i fully understand the HSN, LSN, and idle screw. i tested glow plugs and they work. I primed the engine. I can only get it running for a few seconds if i go full throttle and blow into the tube that connects the exhaust to the the tank, i see the fuel run into the carb. it fires up for about 5 seconds and thats it. idle screw is set for a 1mm opening, and i've tried the LSN to try to keep it running with no luck. i was told about the hair dryer to heat up the engine but even when it runs for those 5 seconds it heats up pretty quickly. i feel like its not getting fuel. its burning off whatever i "blew" into it and thats it.

any tips?