HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:31 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
150 Posts
Discussion
ESC Brake.On.damage?

Hi , i have read in one "only one"that leaving the esc brake "on"can damage the esc because the wind is trying to turn the prop while it is being held still by the current from the esc. I only have a 6x4 prop so i cannot imagine this would draw much current.... by the way this is for a parkflyer not a glider with a folding prop...... i like to fly with the brake "on" because it gives me a better glide but i don't want to damage my ESC..... Help
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:49 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,104 Posts
Leaving the brake on will not cause any damage. The braking effect is caused by shorting the motor leads via the ESC when the power is off. I like the brake on too.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
With the brake on any current flow comes from the motor, not the ESC. The windmilling propeller makes the motor act as a generator. The ESC will not be damaged.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:36 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
To be horrifically clear, the current generated by the motor turning from the wind goes through the turned-on FET transistors on the ESC, and the current is much much less than what the ESC is designed to handle.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:26 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
150 Posts
Thanks everyone, i can rest easy now ........also not an easy task finding programming instructions for the red brick 50amp esc ( this is the hobbyking one that is only capable of handling 3s max) Cheers Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide