HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:25 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
2200's may be a squeeze in the battery compartment of this plane and would also make her nose heavy I would say.
I used to fly mine with a 3S 1350 and then I bought a Hyperion 1600 that just fits and offers nice long flights.
Just a heads up on a mod that may save a hassle later on ............... the tiny little screws (one each side) that locate and fix the undercarriage wing in place - these come loose and this small wing flops about, then you can't tighten them without removing the wheels. Use bigger screws and epoxy them in.
I also replaced the axle with CF rod, so long ago I can't remember why but I had to do it for some reason

Cool little anytime flyer, I took mine to the beach the other day and it landed on wet sand well. Hope it lasts as long as mine has

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Maidened mine yesterday. Flies great when you slow it down some. It was acting nose heavy so I did a glide test and it seems a bit tail heavy?? I have the cg at the factory mark what do you run yours at?
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:18 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
Maidened mine yesterday. Flies great when you slow it down some. It was acting nose heavy so I did a glide test and it seems a bit tail heavy?? I have the cg at the factory mark what do you run yours at?
Its the same question with all planes,,,is the elevator set to center or is it up or down a little after you tweaked the trims on the tx during the maiden ?
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
It was a bit down elevator after trimming it out at half throttle. I had a 3s 1300mAh battery for the first flight. Last time she went up I threw a 1500mAh battery in it all the way forward and she flew great with no elevator trim. COG was about .25" in front of the factory measurement which really surprised me - usually the factory marks are a bit nose heavy. She flies great when she is balanced.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:10 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
I just got one from a parking lot sale at LHS. I've gotten her all together but I only have 1 plywood motor mount. Should I just make one out of balsa and glue them together, use just the one, or email great planes. Thanks for any help. Gonna try to maiden this weekend.
GREAT review Mike! Thank you so much for all the effort you've put into it.
Loukhan is online now Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Loukhan; Jun 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
Elgin, OK.
Joined Dec 2006
90 Posts
Cut another one out of ply, I wouldn't use just balsa, glue them together an then soak it good in 30min epoxy an let dry. Seems like awhile back someone was making metal motor mounts for these so you didn't have to mess with the ply ones,,, but I"ve slept a couple of times since then to!
Mongo40 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo40
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the info Mongo. I actually found it. It was in a fold in the box. I got it glued up and I think everything set up, so I'll hopefully be maidening her tomorrow. She's my first balsa, so I'm a bit nervous about coming home w/kindling.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:34 AM
Elgin, OK.
Joined Dec 2006
90 Posts
Good Luck! You should be fine!!! just watch your landings, there is no give in that landing gear setup.
Mongo40 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo40
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Is the DVII out of production? I have had one for several years and would like to find another but it seems they are no longer available.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:06 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Yes it sadly is....
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Maiden went well ! first landing was surprisingly scale, got a ways down the runway and flipped on her back. lol Second takeoff was a bit too windy and the tail was really affected but got up and ok. landing was real pretty rolling down the RR on her mains w/ the tail up.
Only able to fly 2 batts on her but really jazzed w/it. As this is my first balsa, I was a bit concerned w/how it would fly compared to foam. Looking forward to next weekend.
BTW- ive looked all over for details/mods to do and am coming up goose eggs. Any course corrections?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
A couple of washers under the rear landing gear struts helps limit nose overs.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Thanks Pat, I'll try it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Went through 5 batts this afternoon w/a couple of good landings. More nose overs ending in part of the radiator screen being broken off. I really gotta use more rudder. I put yellow ribbons on the outer cabanes and it seemed to make her more stable in flight. I don't know if anyone else has done/noticed this. I mounted a key am on the engine, facing to the rear. Hope the videos come out good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:42 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
No, never tried ribbons, but found mine to be super stable in flight. Not sure they are doing much other than maybe visibility.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member