HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:22 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Whoops!
We got the LA500 in the air...THEN CRASHED

...lost orientation. All bent up but fixable.

LA500 AUTOGYRO DISASTER (8 min 46 sec)
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:52 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Can you loop it?
smithcreek is offline Find More Posts by smithcreek
Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
Ouch ... hard luck chaps, good effort but clearly you dont know how to fly autos.

Speed is not the answer, infact if the setup is right take off can be achieved at walking pace with little over half power.

Looks like the crash could have been orientation. I suggest you read up and take things slower. The key is rotor speed, not ground speed

Good luck

Steve
106flyer is online now Find More Posts by 106flyer
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:40 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Congratulations in getting your (I assume) first AG into the air, you had it nailed.

Orientation can bite 'yer butt, practice practice practice.

1) Bet you were really on a high flying her.
2) Bet you fix her and enjoy her again.......

106 is right, try to slow down a bit and you will be an ace in no time..
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Jun 20, 2014, 06:03 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Well ,you have flown an Autogyro....bit of a buzz...eh. I think that you did pretty good for a first attempt considering that is not necessarily the easiest model to fly.
I would like to point of a couple of thinks that may be of help.
These models turn better to the left than the right....tend to nose in/down to the right.
Most problems happen when the model is at a distance...so keep close circuits...and as soon as the model is a safe height SLOW DOWN...you will find that the model fly's better.
I am sure that you were so surprised that the model was flying that you never thought of the throttle.
Happy Landings
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jun 20, 2014, 07:33 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Spot on Chris. Definitley a buzz to fly and fortunate my buddy gave me the chance but feel so guilty for crashing it. Although he does say it's repairable.

You are so right about it turning easier one way than the other. Good to know it wasn't my lack of skill causing that.

I've definitley got the bug. Need to get one of my own soon as I enjoy the challenge of flying different models. Need to work my way up to one of these. Paolo flew the socks off these things when I filmed him at a recent show. Not sure if I would prefer IC or electric though.

Cheers,
Dom

* HUGE * Electric AUTOGYRO (Long Marston Air Show 2014) (5 min 43 sec)

DA60 powered AUTOGYRO at Long Marston Airshow (7 min 46 sec)
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Jun 22, 2014, 06:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Blackburn
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Well Done With The LA500 :-) Ive Had Hundreds of Flights with mine now its got to be my best AG quick tip put larger wheels on will help allot taking off on grass :-) yes Orientation Is a B**ch with this model but Practice is the Key :-)

Sy
Syco5uk is offline Find More Posts by Syco5uk