HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Question
E-Gentle Lady

So I converted my GL and did all the CG balance both fore aft and side to side. She balanced per the instructions and my son and I took her out for a maiden today. Got her up and flying but she was porpoising a fair amount. On landing I crunched the firewall a bit and need to strengthen her up. But I suspected she was a bit tail heavy as the cause of the porpoising. Any other, more accurate, suppositions? Thanks. Scott
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted to lazy-flying models
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
I'd actually be more inclined to suspect nose heavy. Most model sailplanes fly better with the CG a little bit aft of the point called for in the the factory instructions. Try taping a US Quarter to the top of the stabilizer and see if the GL handles better that way.
azdiane is offline Find More Posts by azdiane
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
boy does that feel counter intuitive. I need to find a set of plans so I can see exactly where the wing sits as well. It is rubber banded on and I want to be sure i have it set in the exact spot. I think it is, but want to be sure. Any body have a top view of the plans around? SCott
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Main spar center to tail/rudder hinge at fuse/bottom is 25.0 inchs per plans.
Shows CG at 1.0inch back from center spar, with a range of ~1/4inch.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
great! thanks
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:19 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
653 Posts
You can download a PDF of the plans here.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Got it, thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariboy View Post
So I converted my GL and did all the CG balance both fore aft and side to side. She balanced per the instructions and my son and I took her out for a maiden today. Got her up and flying but she was porpoising a fair amount. On landing I crunched the firewall a bit and need to strengthen her up. But I suspected she was a bit tail heavy as the cause of the porpoising. Any other, more accurate, suppositions? Thanks. Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdiane View Post
I'd actually be more inclined to suspect nose heavy. Most model sailplanes fly better with the CG a little bit aft of the point called for in the the factory instructions. Try taping a US Quarter to the top of the stabilizer and see if the GL handles better that way.
Quote:
boy does that feel counter intuitive. I need to find a set of plans so I can see exactly where the wing sits as well. It is rubber banded on and I want to be sure i have it set in the exact spot. I think it is, but want to be sure. Any body have a top view of the plans around? SCott
Don't feel bad, It does sound counter intuitive, until you really sit down and think about it. If the plane is nose heavy you will need to trim the elevator up (or add more decalage) in order to counter it in order to achieve level flight. This works fine until you try and fly the plane faster; as the air flow increases the elevator pushes down harder and the nose goes up.

Someone either here on RCGroups or WattFlyer posted a paper (in .pdf) on this subject and I wish I could remember who wrote it, posted it and where I could find it. I might have it downloaded on my other PC.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Nov 29, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,616 Posts
Bariboy, I suspect that part of your mistake is that you are assuming that the elevator MUST remain in line with the stabilizer. But such is not the case. If you have a model which flies in a constant series of slight stalls the cure is simply to put in one or two clicks of down trim until it stops this nonsense.

Also as you move the CG back and forth within the range suggested of roughly over 1/2 inch from front to rear you will need to alter the elevator trim for each new position of the CG. This is all perfectly normal and is nothing at all to worry about once it has been set to fly well.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Firewall is repaired and set, hopefully will get out tomorrow, a high of 28 planned but sunny and no wind, to try her out again. Going prepared to deal with heavy nose and see how we do. Thanks for all the help guys. Will see how it goes and hopefully report back. Scott
Old Nov 30, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
So I did some more accurate setting up and find that she balances perfectly level at the forward mark of the CG. I mean perfectly balanced. Can I go with that and take a quarter with me to add to the tail if she still porpoises? That seem to be an adequate plan? Hoping to get her once more today. SCott
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,616 Posts
Quote:
So I did some more accurate setting up and find that she balances perfectly level at the forward mark of the CG. I mean perfectly balanced. Can I go with that and take a quarter with me to add to the tail if she still porpoises? That seem to be an adequate plan? Hoping to get her once more today. SCott
You are still not understanding the trimming issues of how the CG and elevator trim relate to each other.

The gentle stalling cycle is not due to it being nose heavy. And if you have some porpoising now adding tail weight to shift the CG back a little will make it worse. Instead if it happens you need to add a click or two of down trim until it stops.

The problem is that the trim angle between the wing and tail is never perfect for the whole range of CG location. It's always a best guess sort of thing. So we need to adjust the elevator or do something like shimming the wing to adjust the angle. But adding a couple of clicks of trim is easier.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Funny you mention that. I started out with the above exactly and had a very good flight. But the wind really started to hamper the flights. Got two good flights in and then a nose in from a few feet and another firewall bites the dust. On the shelf for the winter I will return to her in the spring and have another go at it. Was freaking cold out and hands were just freezing. The wind just made it worse. So the plan is to add some down elevator as she was trimmed today and go for it in the spring. Thanks for all the help guys. SCott
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:32 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,616 Posts
And add short doublers in behind the firewall so it's better supported...... Don't rely on the glue joint itself. Especially when it's glued just to balsa. The balsa can't take the impact loads over that small an area and the wood grain just rips out. Adding even a short doubler in behind so the plywood motor mount sits into an L shaped notch makes a HUGE difference.

To spread out the loads these doublers should be 1/8 hard balsa and about 1 1/2 inches long with the grain running flat. So the end grain is against the back of the plywood mount.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2006
256 Posts
Thanks again.