Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
UAV Constructor
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Wroclaw
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
Help!
Filming with helis

Hey dudes,

I work in film studio as an operator of multi-copters, so aerial filming and photo. And now I wanna try filming from helis, and there comes the question. 600, or 700? 2 blade head, or 4? With stabilisation like flymentor or something, or without?
Ciast3k is offline Find More Posts by Ciast3k
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
You may want to check on regulations in your country for commercial use of RC aircraft. Here in Canada there is strict regulations and in the US it is currently banned for anything other than police or military use.

The police here just purchased two 600 size helis with an autopilot system for $20,000 each. Depending on your needs it may be cheaper to contract it out or just charter a full size helicopter.
gothicbunny is offline Find More Posts by gothicbunny
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:39 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
hes in the EU so should be fine

if go with a multi rotor type for AP DJI has some nice setups take a look at there web site
http://www.dji-innovations.com/

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...s800/overview/
some thing like this would work great
but your looking at 3000 to 5000 or more USD investment here
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
first of all:
i'm professional cameramen, so i have all permissions and licences here in EU. i've been also flying for fire brigadge so...

Elios, I said that i have no problems with multirotors - flying couple of MKs and Wookongs without any problem with it. Flying perfectly in classic style and in FPV.
I'm asking of HELIS (1 rotor thing, You know xD ). Trex stuff etc.
I'm keen on byuing trex 700, and create 3 axis gimbal for it, but just asking for proper setup for it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciast3k View Post
first of all:
i'm professional cameramen, so i have all permissions and licences here in EU. i've been also flying for fire brigadge so...

Elios, I said that i have no problems with multirotors - flying couple of MKs and Wookongs without any problem with it. Flying perfectly in classic style and in FPV.
I'm keen on byuing trex 700, and create 3 axis gimbal for it, but just asking for proper setup for it.
You might want to check in one of these sub forums where the guys that do FPV and photography hang out. Better chance at finding guys with experience in what you are trying to accomplish

http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/

http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciast3k View Post
first of all:

there really is no point if you already have a good multi rotor set up
single rotor helis have way more vibes and flight times are much shorter and you need a much bigger heli to lift a given setup

not sure why you want want to move to some thing less suited
its like shooting by hand when you have a dolly right there

check out Bergen RC
http://bergenrc.com/
id look at one of the turbine powered models imo
he makes singles rotor helis just for AP stuff with mounts ready to go
http://bergenrc.com/ObserverTurbine.php
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
okay
i want to fly RedEpic, but 5kg weight will be a little problem for a copter i guess (in normal prices i mean). For sure there is no problem building "ultra heavy lift" but... The only but is: Heavy lifters (multirotors) ale SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOW. Helis are Faaassst and thats cool for meh and thats the reason i wanna fly it (with Nex, or Red - whatever)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
sounds like you need a turbine then

the issue is for FPV is getting useful flight times e power stuff in that range gets very short flights on a single rotor
you have move to a gas/petrol engine or a turbine to get good flight times
and gas has crazy bad vibs
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
anyway gotta manage it somehow :P but wow turbine heli will be like 6k$ Thats a sum'o money
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
if i had the money id be flying a turbine powered 700
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:16 AM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
that's what i'm gonna do right now :P just have to make research where to geth this crazy sh*t
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
Bergen ships any where in the world
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
looked up for matching setup: http://bergenrc.com/ObserverTurbine.php
10,5k bucks :P Thats nice sum of money. Little too big for me now, so I'll have to wait some time :/ Especially that i decided today to buy (yea, this time buy not build) nother multirotor (DJI S800 with WooKong and Z15 gimbal)

Thanks for help dude
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
You do not need a turbine for a heavy lifter....You can get the same results with a Hex or an octo but you are going to have to design it yourself...The company I work for just built a heavy lifter that can lift over 25lbs and uses the wookong m....Filming Hollywood production when unions are involved has banned the use of single rotor RC Helicopters because someone was decapitated during a production...If you are going to build a heavy lifter your motors will have to be over 500 watts each and turn 14 to 18 inch props...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
UAV Constructor
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
constructing multirotors is not problem for me (i do it normally for customers), but i said - speed needed thats why helis

and about restrictions - in EU there are NO restrictions (only RC links power limitations, but shhh <who cares> )