SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Discussion
Columbia, SC area flyers report here please.

I am trying to create a thread where folks from the Columbia metro area (this includes far out areas like Gaston and Chapin can meet together and trade info about flying sites for planes and helis and even meetup and fly together. If you are in the area, please post here and tell us what and where you fly. I will keep a master list of local RCG members. I have 2 already. Those 2, please post here...

Also, check the maps function. I have done my best to add/update with ALL the flying and driving sites that I know of so we can have a more vibrant and connected RC community here. Please add a site if you know of one. It does not have to be an official sanctioned site, just a site where we are welcome. We need parks in the whole city for flying. And there have got to be some nice clay/sand pits to drive our buggies and tracks at without intruding on real practicing racers at our two tracks. Please update the maps and/or post here and I'll update the maps. I have added 3 flying sites and 1 hobby shop to the map, what's missing?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, SC, Sumter
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
I'm over here in Sumter! I have only been flying for about 3 years with a friend of mine. He's from Hartsville. We mostly fly at a park in Hartsville since my flying spot has gotten more busy and I haven't found a better place to fly here yet. I'm not opposed to driving to fly since I do so to get to his place anyway.

There is a flying club here but I don't want to have to pay for a yearly club fee and then an AMA license.
chops1sc is offline Find More Posts by chops1sc
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
I have found the fees to be nothing compared to what I have spent on the hobby, and it's worth it to fly with other and gain from their experience. There is a free flight area near sandhills mall and an organized AMA club in Gaston where I fly. They are all on the maps section of this site. Make sure your location is on the map as well. I find fields and it's always an issue of are there people around? Is there enough room? What do people think about a grown man playing with toy planes? At a santioned field, it's so different, there are none of these issues and an environment welcoming to the hobby and fellowship with others who share the same interest. I have had so much fun the few times I have gone. I just wish it was 10 minutes away and not 45 minutes away.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, SC, Sumter
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
My biggest problem is the number of times I actually fly. I might go once maybe twice a month. If I was able to go every weekend I would definitely consider joining the club and getting AMA.

This park I used to fly (and may still in the future) is a big sports complex and they have pretty much wrapped up construction. The traffic is heavy on the weekends and sometimes its even closed. Most of the other parks in the area are loaded with poles and lack a decent runway. I will mark both my place and the place we fly in Hartsville.
chops1sc is offline Find More Posts by chops1sc
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Yeah, I don't go out more than twice a month either. Luckily, I have a couple parks nearby where I can fly my less dangerous models. Yesterday though it was filled with soccer players so I could not fly there. It's their park, afterall. I fly when it's empty.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:01 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,444 Posts
I'm here, but don't do much flying due to lack of time.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Sadly, I don't get out as much as I want to. I will do more in the winter when my schedule changes, and it's cooler in the garage. I have lots of projects to work on and many aircraft in need of repair.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:39 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I have lots of projects to work on and many aircraft in need of repair.
You sure are not alone there....
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
Lexington SC
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
I fly at Midway Elementary In Lexington when there aren't too many people there.
NightTrain0128 is offline Find More Posts by NightTrain0128
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Park Flying

Having a ton of fun down at Owens Field across from the airport. Hope some of you guys can join my father and I. We fly almost everyday.

JPower P38 (5 min 14 sec)

JPower P38 Part 2 (3 min 21 sec)

Parkzone Wildcat Easy Flying (2 min 29 sec)
SpiderMine is offline Find More Posts by SpiderMine
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Ah man I need to get down there. Just love to hang out with people who share an interest. I haven't flown in weeks. Had a death in the family and I am doing reorganization of my house the last few weekends. Trying to keep from showing up on the "hoarders" show. I have lots of broken aircraft I need to fix. Now the weather is better I can start working in the garage again, just as soon as the wife sells off the baby furniture that is taking the space of my work area! I'm a member of Congaree flyers (great bunch of guys) but I still want to visit all the flying venues and meet as many other Columbia RC'ers as I can. Hope to improve RC'ers networking via this thread. Thanks for posting!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
OK, I thought this deserved it's own post. The club I am a member of (Congaree Flyers) is hosting a fly-in on October 6th. The Jim Cecil Memorial fly-in. Please make arrangements to come and please introduce yourself to a club member if you show up. This is how I met the club for the first time, but attending a fly in. Even if you don't plan to join, it is still a good opportunity to meet up with other RC'ers in the area. AMA membership is required to fly.

Field is at 697 Cassidy Rd. in Gaston, SC. It's a small driveway right next to the old recycling plant so you have to slow down to see it. There is a small sign. Please ask for Shahram if you show up. Will be happy to meet others from rcgroups! Don't worry! I'm the only one with a difficult name!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Yes I would love to make my way there to fly. Contact me by e mail Blackcole1981@Gmail.com
KingCole1981 is offline Find More Posts by KingCole1981
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Howdy all. Sounds like everyone is having alot of fun. I usually go upto Crooked Creek Park in Chapin. Have to dodge alot of light poles and soccer nets but still fun.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Howdy all. Sounds like everyone is having alot of fun. I usually go upto Crooked Creek Park in Chapin. Have to dodge alot of light poles and soccer nets but still fun.

Tom
Thanks for chiming in, I was not aware there was room at crooked creek park. What do you fly there and how often?