SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Looks like a great flyer.

The return to center is probably made slower by the motor pod up top - on the vertical plane the COG is close to the wing joint. I know my seamaster (neptune) has a nitro pod with the fuel tank in a pod up high, and even with plenty of dihedral it rolls much faster than a standard high wing plane.

BTW, those are some beautiful homes in the background. What a great place to live - a view and you could fly every day.
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Looks great CapMike. At first I thought it might be tail-heavy the way it was dropping a wingtip and sagging the tail as it banked from take-off, but upon closer inspection I think you were just turning cross-wind/downwind and the airspeed was low enough that you were barely keeping ahead of wind speed... so maybe some slight mushiness as it got close to stalling. My Drake flies very much the same... it can even be quite a hot-rod with the right motor in it.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Warhead your right we were flying in some good wind gusts and it might have been hit as he was banking left after takeoff. You can see in some of the other runs though that it was fine. The CG was spot on so that wasn't the issue. I took the sticks after we got video and it was really a nice plane to fly
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Mike are you gonna fly it this weekend?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
Mike are you gonna fly it this weekend?
No the weather isn't going to be good for flights. I am going to strip this one down and re-cover the fuse. I think I will also go ahead and seal it up to waterproof it and then hopefully we will have a new wing design done so I can cut and build it. I plan to take the pod and sponsons for use so I do not have to re-build these. I hopefully will have the new wing started next weekend and ready to go for another round of testing.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
what changes on the wing Mike?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Bruce we are just adding dihedral to the wing. Also changing the vert stab to horizontal interface.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
The redesign work has been completed and as soon as my order of wood comes in I will be cutting and building another. This time I will be doing it in a different color scheme.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:13 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,729 Posts
Hey Cap Mike, A Little off topic but I see you live in Shelton. I used to get out that way when Philips Medical had their North American headquarters there. Nice part of the country, I used to stay in Milford or New Haven....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
A new Anderson is being born

Sitting here cutting another set of parts for another Anderson. This one has the modifications incorporated that were suggested by Thayer. I need to run another round of tests on the old airframe with Thayer and will incorporate them into the new plans on completion. Let the fun begin
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
I found a foam wing for this....fits like a charm....gonna add the sponsons next
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Version 2 is on the build board.

Last night after getting the kit cut for the Anderson I decided to do some assembly. I wasn't really planning to do much of it, but then I got on a roll. Fuselage is all formed up and now I am working on the retract mechanism for the mains. so far the hardest part has been bending up the 1/8" wire for the struts. I have that done now. Remember kiddies if you heat the wire to bend it you must quench it and then reheat to harden the metal again. I am pleased with the gear wire and can now move on to getting the torque tube and blocks mounted into the fuse.
The idea is to use the tiller arms to act as the set screw in the torque tube to lock the struts in place. There will be a rubber grommet between the tube and the fuselage to seal the hole, but also look like the rubber boot that would be on the struts. Once I have that mounted I will take pictures for everyone to see.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:43 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
New fuselage has retracts

As you know I have cut and begun another kit. On this one I decided to go ahead and do the beaching gear/ retracts. As stated last night I was able to get them installed today and now have pictures of how they will be mounted. I am pleased with how this has turned out and believe it will work just fine. Here are the pictures with description
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Today was another round of testing on the old airframe. I met up with Thayer. He had added spray rails and he will be posting some pictures of them later. The round of testing today was for both the spray rails as well as exploring the CG. Interestingly we were flying it at 20%. We started moving the CG aft to see how she would do and had gotten to 26% before the motor gave up its bearings and started cogging on us ending our day of flying. I have to say I am very pleased with how she does in the air. I have finished doing the illustrations and they will be passed off to Zeke for writing the instructions. The kit will be available soon. How many are interested in getting this sweet parkflier for the local lake?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
917 Posts
I'm in!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy