SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
524 Posts
Cool
OS 46FX rebuild with ASP 46 piston and liner- SUCCESS !!!

Well I rebuilt my old 46FX that needed new bearings and a new piston and liner since most of the cylinder liner plating was completely gone. I wasn't going to pay $75+ for a new OS piston and liner, I heard that the ASP 46 parts are an almost exact replacement for the OS items. So I ordered two sets from Hobby King, priced at just $15 a set !!! And, the cylinder plating is true chrome plating ! Anyway, the only difference I found was the piston on the ASP only needs one circlip as opposed to two on the OS, the ASP piston has a smaller piston pin hole on one end. I had it on the test stand today and she runs just great ! So I just thought you guys might like to know that you can freshen up that tired 46FX you have for a very low price, Shoo
shooboy is offline Find More Posts by shooboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
688 Posts
That is very cool to know! I recently purchased an ASP 52 2 stroke and it is a barn burner. Great info.
dmrcflyr2 is online now Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Saito FA-91S break-in begins
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:36 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Howdy there shoo , I did mine a few months back with HK liner set as well . I haven't run mine yet but its good to know yours is good to go . Got the HK asp52 and like mine as well but have to bite my tongue with the china made crap stigma from the ol farts at the club . Best thing ever was OS making the 45 in china they cant say much now . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
524 Posts
Thanks pope, The China stuff has greatly improved have to agree. That $15 piston and liner set brought that old OS back to service, otherwise I would have had to part it out. I have been switching over to Evolution engines, made in China of course, and had great success with them so far. I was thorougly impressed with the way they ran in my 2 Hangar 9 PTS Mustangs, and I have also replaced my finicky K&B .61 in my Great Planes Revolver with an Evo .61 that has so far ran perfectly. I've got a couple of their 46-sized 60's patiently waiting for service, and a 26cc Evo gas engine in my Hangar 9 1/4 scale Piper Cub. Guys at my field are always somewhat shocked when they ask what engine you are running in that great running plane and I tell them an Evolution. They mostly have heard bad things, probably from long ago, and spread the word without any real experiences. Now to get the Evo 10cc gas into the Hangar 9 Corsair 50 I just bought....... Shoo
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:03 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,550 Posts
Personally, I see no difference if something is made in china or Japan. Japan had a decade of a learning curve when they started out, and china has had that too and has caught up IMHO. They just started much later. The Soviet block motors went through the same thing with some nasty Ucktam motors, but the best motors come from there now. I see no difference in buying from Japan or china lately. The quality of the machining is good now, and I think the materials of the Sanye brand AP, ASP, MAGNUM, seems ok now too AFAIK. They are neighbours from the same part of the world. No North American motor manufacturers seem interested in mass production any more, so it narrows down the choices.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 07, 2013, 08:55 PM
Aliphatic resin applicator
Joined Oct 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Personally, I see no difference if something is made in china or Japan. Japan had a decade of a learning curve when they started out, and china has had that too and has caught up IMHO.
This is a severely flawed conclusion, that has no merit in practice. Chinese quality control and quality of materials are horrible at best. The examples are far too lengthy a list to post.
329 is offline Find More Posts by 329
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 329 View Post
Chinese quality control and quality of materials are horrible at best. The examples are far too lengthy a list to post.
Chinese quality is whatever their clients demand, are willing to enforce, and willing to pay for.

If you have your own QC people riding them 7x24, you can get good stuff. If you expect them to provide it by default without having your own people there watching, you'll be disappointed when the container arrives. The trick is don't allow the bad stuff to ever make it into YOUR container.

If the manufacturer has a reputation for making sketchy materials substitutions, have the contract specify that they must your materials YOU provide, and your onsite QC people must ensure that that happens.

Their attention to alloy and heat treat specs can be lax when not being watched. Just means you gotta watch'em.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:24 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,550 Posts
Yep, what he said. Some kit manufacturers were having problems with motor mounts falling off on the ARF's. Someone from the US went over to check things out at the factory and told the girl to add some more glue at the motor mount. Everything is fine. They just don't know if no one says anything. If a distributor just cancels an order because the plane/motor or whatever product, is junk, they will not know why. They need supervision. Just keeping a bar in the CNC machine is easy, the operator has to be told to check every 20 parts and correct the size if needed. (I know how this works, leaving the machine run for breaks etc.) They are using the same machines as any other company does to make the parts. It isn't the nationality of an operator that makes bad parts, it is the QC or lack of it, or a boss that doesn't know what is going on, or is too cheap. This could be from being just too cheap , or from getting no feedback. If you are a boss and a big order is cancelled because of you, and 100 people are out of work, you are in trouble - if it can be traced to you.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
Well I rebuilt my old 46FX that needed new bearings and a new piston and liner since most of the cylinder liner plating was completely gone. I wasn't going to pay $75+ for a new OS piston and liner, I heard that the ASP 46 parts are an almost exact replacement for the OS items. So I ordered two sets from Hobby King, priced at just $15 a set !!! And, the cylinder plating is true chrome plating ! Anyway, the only difference I found was the piston on the ASP only needs one circlip as opposed to two on the OS, the ASP piston has a smaller piston pin hole on one end. I had it on the test stand today and she runs just great ! So I just thought you guys might like to know that you can freshen up that tired 46FX you have for a very low price, Shoo
Shooboy thats great to know! HK has two types of liners available. They have ASP S46M and ASP S46H. Which one did you get for the OS 46 FX? I have a 46AX which I'm thinking should be the same as the FX.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Apr 17, 2013, 05:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
524 Posts
I believe the 46M is the one you want. I think you can use these parts in the AX, but you might have to Dremel grind a slot for the cylinder locking pin ? I can't exactly remember, you can check the comments/reviews about the parts as it is all discussed there. I know someone asked about the AX....... Shoo
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:31 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
The part nos. for the ASP "M" and "H" variants are the same. Check them on HK.

They are identical. Buy whichever is cheapest.

I did the conversion on my FX 46 10 years ago after the OS liner died. The new parts from ASP looked jewel-like, compared to the horrid "Bi-Rubbish" OS plating.

Engine ran perfectly after its transplant and still runs strong with dozens of hours on the ASP parts.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old May 16, 2013, 10:15 AM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
AFAIK OS authorised all its importers to replace liners that had the plating strip off foc. I had a 46 FX and a 10 FP done. If there is any other work they charge for it, on my 46 Fx they replaced the backplate where the NV had broken off for spare part price only and asked me first.
All you have to do is ask the importer.
The OS 10 FP was 8 years old at the time and the 46 Fx was 5 years old.
Braddock, VC is offline Find More Posts by Braddock, VC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Blog Page 21
Old Jun 06, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Hello, I was going to do the same but the replacement is not so easy as it seems. The ASP46 cylinder is 2,44mm shorter compared with OS cylinder. Iíll reduce the external echelon of the cylinder with a late to let it go deeper, if not the timing of admission and exhaust of the engine will be completely different.
facab is offline Find More Posts by facab
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:59 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by facab View Post
Hello, I was going to do the same but the replacement is not so easy as it seems. The ASP46 cylinder is 2,44mm shorter compared with OS cylinder. Iíll reduce the external echelon of the cylinder with a late to let it go deeper, if not the timing of admission and exhaust of the engine will be completely different.
How did your rebuild go?

I just rebuilt my 46FX with a magnum 46xls piston and sleeve and it runs great. I bought the last one that hobby people had so I just ordered an ASP cylinder and sleeve for my other 46FX.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2008
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 329 View Post
This is a severely flawed conclusion, that has no merit in practice. Chinese quality control and quality of materials are horrible at best. The examples are far too lengthy a list to post.
That is funny! A "severely flawed conclusion, that has no merit in practice" because it disagrees with your opinion. C'mon 329, you can do better than that. Logic 101!

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth