HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:11 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,362 Posts
Just go to the 1st page of your build thread and highlight the address at the top of the page by left-clicking it. Press "Ctrl" and the letter "C" simultaneously; that copies the page address. Then in your post, here, place the cursor where you want the link to appear and press "Ctrl" and the letter "V" simultaneously. The link will magically appear:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806149
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Just go to the 1st page of your build thread and highlight the address at the top of the page by left-clicking it. Press "Ctrl" and the letter "C" simultaneously; that copies the page address. Then in your post, here, place the cursor where you want the link to appear and press "Ctrl" and the letter "V" simultaneously. The link will magically appear:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806149
Thank you-I getting so smart. I just downloaded a basic cad drawing program..
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
The 2nd right wing

I got that stupid Monocoupe wing out the fixture today,and I'm inserting the ribs for the Xtreme symmetrical wing for tomorrow.
I drilled wing tube holes in all the ribs and made a few 1/4" lite ply ribs to fit near the root, for easy mounting. 90" tip to tip,as opposed to 105" for the Citabria.The extra holes will be used for wiring.

The plans have flaps shown for the Citabria, but no deal here.-Can't prove they had .them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
The plans have flaps shown for the Citabria, but no deal here.-Can't prove they had .them.
Are you referring to just the Xtreme?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Are you referring to just the Xtreme?

EJWash
Yes-I'm having trouble authenticating which airplane had flaps. The Xtreme does not..
I'm not sure about Citabrias (yes?) and Decathlons,yet.

I'm not installing them.....just wondering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Man- that clipped wing looks short, compared to the stock Citabria one.

The extreme wing is about 15" shorter-ain't no wonder it'll roll faster.-90", compared to 105.75"

Don't get out your measuring stick....we already discussed the discrepancies, and accepted them.

Shorter wing, larger ailerons of a different design, HOO ruh !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
sgu
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Hey Earl, I've flown several full size Citabs and Decathlons and none of them had flaps installed. I did however find some pics of Citabrias fitted with flaps. Couldn't find any of a Decathlon (except RC)...

Dave
sgu is offline Find More Posts by sgu
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:45 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Yes-I'm having trouble authenticating which airplane had flaps. The Xtreme does not..
I'm not sure about Citabrias (yes?) and Decathlons,yet.
The 7GCBC and the 8GCBC Citabrias had flaps. The 7KCAB and 8KCAB Decathlons did not.

I flew one 7GCBC. One of the pics sgu posted showed the "Johnson Bar" flap handle. Never needed them at the airport I operated out of - long paved runways. Never thought of using them to see the long/short performance with them.

Here's a site that will untangle all the number/letter designations:

http://www.8kcab.com/index.html

Looking at the pics (as few as there are) of the Xtreme, it looks like American Champion took a Scout, ditched the flaps, and put it on steroids. I don't see it offered on their web site, so maybe its a one-of-a-kind mod?

EJWash
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
The (second) right wing.

The prototype is going to Australia ( already sold) ...They hope to sell/produce 20-odd a year.
It's built as an advanced aerobatics trainer, suitable for preparing trainees for the next step up..

Should see a couple more directly.

I framed up the right symmetrical wing this morning, and it's an awesome devil !
I took liberties with the Aileron size, increasing both length and chord.The full size ones are hinged 29% back from the aileron leading edge....It dips into the air stream creating a "spade" effect, as the aileron is deflected upwards.
Slight deflection is not overly sensitive, but full throw lowers the leading edge to get a real "bite" of air, greatly increasing the roll rate.

I added wider sheeting at the leading edge by moving the spars back.The additional sheeting at the root makes this wing strong against twisting. It has shear webbing on both spars.Built like a 'tank' light like a 'blimp'.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add pics
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Thanks to the guys with "flap" input....we need to know what we're talking about,and I still put a foot in my mouth once in a while.

I've decided to Ultracote the Xtreme,as it'll probably go on the auction block after testing.
I don't want to put a lot of custom scale work into it.

Back to the aileron construction.I'm thinking brass tubing, nested,for hinges, with nylon landing gear straps as hinge blocks on each end.The brass tubing has excellent clearances eliminating any slop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Rolling over

The newer aileron design on the Xtreme is a take on the original "Frise" theory, and is a serious boon to the newer roll rate.

As an aileron is deflected, the leading edge drops into the airstream and air is directed from below the wing through the aileron slot,and out the top.

Designers have been doing this for years, but not to this "Xtreme". (pun intended)

The result is 'exponential'-soft around neutral, but powerful when deflected.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:06 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
The ailerons came out nicely. I know you mentioned using brass tubing for the hinging, any pics of the attach points?

EJWash
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
The ailerons came out nicely. I know you mentioned using brass tubing for the hinging, any pics of the attach points?

EJWash
I'm about ready to do some pics, and ask for feed back on what I think is a novel idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,197 Posts
Prose and 'cons'

The ailerons are hinged at 29% back on the full size, but I toned it back to 25% on the model.
The pictures will help clear up my point, where I want to use brass tubing, nested ,as hinges.
The inboard tube will be trapped in the outer housings,so as not to move.
The tip inner tube(the hinge"pin") will be screwed in place with a tab, to facilitate removal/installation.

This will either 'work' or be exciting when it departs the wing.
Ailerons will be controlled by 80oz servos, heavy duty arms, and 4-40 rods, with ball links connecting them.
With the hinge pins relocated, the ailerons are very nearly balanced....I could do, with a little lead in the LE.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,362 Posts
Very interesting design concept.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo