SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
Question
Automotive clear over lacquer paint

I'm working on a new airframe. It is all glassed with epoxy. If I were to shoot it with lacquer base paint, what would be a suitable automotive clear to lay over the top. It needs to be or preferred to be, fuel proof.

In years past I have used the acrylic lacquer clear and it was reasonably fuel proof if you wiped up your spill quickly.

This is all driven by not wanting to buy large quantities of paint to set around for years going bad.

Thank you!

Ken

PS It's been a few years since I've painted anything so I'm not familiar with the "new" automotive clear paints.
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Last edited by kenh3497; Feb 21, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
I suggest that you use the same brand, and type of paint as your color coat, unless you plan to do some testing first.

Compatibility issues can arise and totally ruin your paint job.

If I were to use an automotive finish, I'd go with a 2 part system, like an acrylic enamel and hardener. These are usually glow and gas resistant, eliminating the need for a clear coat.

My automotive paint store is very helpful when I have questions. I suggest that you talk to them. Explain that you need a system that provides some chemical resistance.

Modern car paints fit into this category. The paint doesn't flake off when you overflow your gas tank on your car. LOL

That's my suggestion. Others may very.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
Thanks Tom! That's kind of what I was thinking. I just needed somebody to "hold my hand" and confirm my thoughts. The lacquers are easy to work with was my main motivation.

Ken
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
Where is Rockwell?

I used to live in Cedar Rapids.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,216 Posts
There are 'a few' 2 part clears that will go over acrylic lacquers but they're expensive and hard to work with.

Most of the 2 part clears that you'll get will wreak havoc with a lacquer undercoat, so be warned!

I personally still go for a lacquer clear and just be very wary of fuel spillage, as it will start to eat the paint. Exhaust isn't an issue. it just wipes off.

My supra-fly was painted a few years ago with clear lacquer and only one patch has suffered so far, and that was due to me having spilt fuel on my hands when picking it up. In the time it took to walk from the flight line to my car (5 mins) my fingers had left a mark in the clear, which was easily sanded and buffed out.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Where is Rockwell?

I used to live in Cedar Rapids.

It's up by Mason City. Actually 10 miles south.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
I bought some Krylon white primer tonight at our local Hobby Lobby store tonight after work because I had a 40% off coupon.

What CRAPPY paint. It doesn't cover at all. I used about 2/3 of the can on the fuse of my 60 size CAP and it needs about another 2/3 to cover completely.

I wanted to use the white 'cause I'll be painting yellow and red as the two primary colors. They just go over white so much better. So it looks like I'll be buying some good stuff someplace first. All I can say is I'm glad most of it gets sanded off. Maybe if I get a good gray base down first?????

Ken
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,006 Posts
Since Top Flite stopped selling their white primer in pints and quarts (rattle cans only now), I have switched to a light grey sanding primer since it does fill the weave and pinholes in fabric well (after using nitrate to tighten) followed by one light coat of white topcoat before spraying the red or yellow. But just found out Brodak does sell a white butyrate lacquer primer in quarts which I haven't tried yet. Its made by Randolph which ticks me off since its not available under the Randolph brand.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,914 Posts
I use automotive, high build, primers, too. Duplicolor has a nice product, in aerosol cans. I also use a PPG high build lacquer primer. It sprays through my gun nicely, and sands exceedingly well.

Gray primers work well under light colors, as long as the complete surface is primed.

I'd be worried about Krylon primer. Unless I was using Krylon over it, I'd be concerned that the color coats would lift it.

Krylon should work well under waterborne products., such as Nelson's Hobby Specialties and Warbird Colors paints.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
I was digging through my leftovers from my last car paint "job" ( mys sons car). I found I had some leftover urethane primer in a "buff" color. I had the catalyst to go with it also. Unfortunately the primer had gone thick on me so I might spring for some new of the primer. I know that will work! I might be able to talk a body shop friend of mine into selling me some small quantitys of color paint for the project.

Ken
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
Udate;

I tried sanding the Krylon primer tonight. It had 24 hours to cure. All it did was plug up the sandpaper. I tried everything from 80 grit to 320. Same results with all. After about a dozen swipes big chunks were rolled up on the paper. So after wasting several sheets of sandpaper, out came the acetone and the primer came right off. It's off tomorrow to buy some proper paint from the auto paint store.

I looked at the MSDS and it used acetone in the mix so it should be in the lacquer family. I'm not going to take a chance on my leftover urethane primer. I think I'll just go with a nice lacquer paint job.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Hello,

Go to www.autoaircolors.com and see the way I finish my planes. 2 part primer, water base paint and auto 2 part clear. I do it like the auto painters do. Check you tube and run auto air, you'll be glad you did...

If you can't find autoair at your paint store you can mail order it. This type of finish is spendy at first but each one gets cheaper as time go along. Auto air itself isn't to bad at $6.00 for 4 ozs. Lots of nice colors and it goes a long way..

I use high nitros and it has no effect on the finish. You spent time building now give it a finish it deserves...

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post
Hello,

auto 2 part clear.

Rick
Which clear are you using? I was going to use my urethane primer as it is a "buff" color. Great for under yellow and red! Alas, it had gone "bad". It was very thick. Not surprised, it was about 2/3 quart in a gallon can,about 3 years old.

Nearest auto air dealer is 130+ miles away Nice colors though! Maybe another brand is available local though??

Right now, the plane is gray lacquer primer. Ready for a light scuff, tack and color.

Thanks for the tip!

ken
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear coat

Hello,

I use Omni clear. It's a PPG product fot the home auto painter. Have had excellent results. Lays down nice and will handle nitro. Not to expensive and a qt. will do several airplanes.

The Skyraider is water base with Omni clear and the twin is Rustolum with auto hardner and IS nitro proof. I buy the Rustolum by the QT. thin as needed and use a hardner from Tractor Supply.

Rick

Name: airplanes 007.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 169.6 KB
Description:

Name: airplanes 2 001.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 173.9 KB
Description:
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Hello,

One other thing. The speed plane in the upper left is laquer with Omni clear on top. It's 10 years old. No problems yet.

I let the laquer dry until you couldn't smell it any more and scuffed with 600 dry. Then hit it with clear. It's a slow process but no peeling yet.

Rick

Name: airplanes 001.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 163.4 KB
Description: